Need a new home printer

700 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fooz
Gardening Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our old HP printer finally stopped recognizing thumb drives so I can't scan documents. Any recs on a good home printer I can order off Amazon? They all seem like crap to me and it looks like HP has some ink subscription scam.

TIA for the recs and helping me decide.
aTm2004
AG
Ours crapped out last week and we went with the Brothers J5845DW (not the XL version). I was going to order it on Amazon, but they couldn't deliver it until the end of April, so I checked online and found that Office Depot had the best price (matched Amazon), so I did a store pick up and was in and out in less than 5 minutes about an hour later.
Gardening Ag
How do you like it?
aTm2004
AG
Like a lot so far. Bigger than our other printer, but we like that the ink isn't simply a color or black. It's 5 different colors that you can buy individually, so you're not buying colors you don't need. Also, the ink cartridges fill an internal tank, so it supposedly has a much better "pages left" prediction for each color.

I went through and set up the short cuts so it'll scan to my wife or I, print, and copy. We've both printed a few things from our phones and it's come out looking great. Is it professional quality? No, but it'll fit 99% of what most people need at home.
Gardening Ag
Thank you! I see one for store pick up close by.
ravingfans
AG
Brother has the best Software drivers and scanner tools. I bought the all-in-one laser MFC-L8600CDW for myself and another for my parents about 4 years ago and have had zero trouble from hardware or software. The only exception is that to print from the network I have to unplug and replug the power because there is not a wake-on-lan setting, but other brands don't seem to have that either. There are newer models by now, hopefully still as good.

Samsung mechanism is great at first, but throw the machine away after the least little hiccup.

HP's have the Absolute worst bloated finicky Software ever written. I will not buy another HP product again because the SW quality is so poor.
PooDoo
AG
Brothers app is easy from your phone too.

Speaking of phone, if you are ever caught needing to scan something, Adobe Scan is a very handy app for scanning with your phone.
AgDaddy08-11
S
We've had a Brother MFC-L2740DW for quite some time. It's been great. No issues. Very happy with Brother printers.
fooz
+1 for Brothers
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.