***FF7 Remake***

4,108 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bbattbq01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The demo was just released early this morning on the PlayStation Store. Going to check it out after work this evening. I've been out of gaming for over a decade. I just bought a PS4 last week. The last console I bought was the PS2. Only reason I got the PS4 was because of this game. Final Fantasy 7 was the first game I've ever played. I logged in 100s of hours into that game. I'm so excited to play this. Already preordered it. Can't wait to play the demo tonight!
cr0wbar
AG
I'll be with ya this evening
EastSideAg2002
From the article I saw on it, it is not turn based...and will be sold in episodes
FatZilla
AG
Combat is iffy at best right now. There is no turn based mode at all. Every character has to do generic or special attacks just to build up AP to do anything including items. Even Aeris has to spam attacks just to heal or to toss out items (Seen this in a review video). Attacks can miss completely if your character was not close enough when you start it (Yet there is no range gauge on anything). You would expect if you start an attack the character would run up to the NPC to attack, nope, they start right where they stand. You can be interrupted and if you are, you lose the AP you just spent meaning if you tried to heal yourself and get interrupted, you cant try again if you don't have more AP. You would have to attack again. This ARPG style is trash, if I wanted fire emblem I would buy that ****ty game. The AI is pretty stupid as well. Will just stand there in guard mode instead of attacking every so often even when the enemy is not targeting them. They attack SUPER slow. You can button mash and get in 3x the attacks the AI does.
TriumphForks
AG
Just finished the demo. Man that was a trip. As a massive fan of the original I was very impressed. I cannot wait to play the full game.

Combat has a lot of depth. It is far less "hack n slashy" than FFXV is but still very fast paced. There is a "classic" mode as well that is apparently more turn based. The scorpion alone took probably 10 minutes to beat and drained a considerable about of my resources. It will take a bit to really get a firm grasp on it but I am confident I will enjoy it once I do.
Bones08
AG
The demo was a short but excellent trip down memory lane. I'm sold on the new combat style and it looks and feels great.

However I am bracing myself for the moment when I'm leaving Midgar, the credits begin rolling, and I realize I have to wait an unknown number of years to continue playing the game. No matter how great the game turns out to be that is still going to suck.
cr0wbar
AG
Really really enjoyed it - the battle system is going to take some getting used to, but I like it. I was telling some buddies of mine that I've been pronouncing Mako and Tifa wrong for 20+ years.

Just finished it. It took some getting used to regarding the gameplay, but during the middle of the Scorpion boss battle, it all clicked for me. Absolutely love the fighting style and how tactical you can be, especially towards big boss fights. The music took me back to my early teenage years and I love the character interactions between Barrett and Cloud. Don't know who the voice actor is for Barrett but that's exactly how I envisioned him when I played the game back in 97. I too have been mispronouncing Mako my whole life. (Not sure how the poster above has been pronouncing Tifa). Will probably play the demo a few more times before launch to really master the gameplay. I've been waiting for this game for so many years. I know it's just a demo, but damn, Square really knocked it out of the park. This game could be "masterpiece" quality and win a crap ton of awards when it's all said and done.
TriumphForks
AG
cr0wbar said:

Really really enjoyed it - the battle system is going to take some getting used to, but I like it. I was telling some buddies of mine that I've been pronouncing Mako and Tifa wrong for 20+ years.
Back in the day friends and I would argue over the correct pronunciation of some of the character names. I pronounce Tifa correctly but a lot of people say "Tiff-uh". I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone use the correct pronunciation of "Mako". That will take some getting used to for sure.

I also pronounce Yuffie like it rhymes with "yuppie" but I think the correct pronunciation is "You-ffie".
Chase McGuire
She calls herself "You-fee" when she appears in Kingdom Hearts.
cr0wbar
AG
Yea, I've been saying "May-co" and "Tif-uh" not "Tee-fuh"
chase128
AG
Isn't pronounced May-co somewhere (Advent Children movie)? Seems like they aren't consistent in how it's pronounced.
So I just finished playing it for the third time. Throughout the gameplay, I used a combination of "short cut" moves and actually pressing X during battle to momentarily stop the gameplay. I easily beat the scorpion boss battle. I also noticed that during my third time finishing it, there was an extra scene shown with Sephiroth at the end. Don't know if it was shown because it was the third time beating it or because I selected 20 minutes for the bomb to explode for the first time playing it. (I previously selected 30 minutes)
coconutED
AG
Don't care how good it is or how impressive it looks.

Being sold episodically is a deal breaker.
bbattbq01
AG
Got a little Sephiroth clip at the end on my first run through.

Thought the combat was pretty good, a little chaotic but could be fun. Will be interesting what adding another character into the mix feels like.

Game looks amazing, no doubt about that. I'm not happy about the episodic thing either, but will withhold final judgement until we see what kind of game we get in Midgar.
chase128
AG
Why? We get more content this way. We get a more fleshed out story.
coconutED
AG
3 parts. $60 each. $180 for a full game. And that's the base game before any DLC.
TriumphForks
AG
coconutED said:

3 parts. $60 each. $180 for a full game. And that's the base game before any DLC.
If each part is as long as the original with enough content to justify being a full fledged game and it's all high quality I don't care if it's 10 parts.

In reality I don't see it being more than 3-4 parts. A good 3 part series would be something along the lines of:
Part 1: Midgar
Part 2: Just outside Midgar - Cloud gives Sephiroth Black Materia
Part 3: Junon after Meteor summoned thru end game

The world map is going to be crazy. I am very curious to see how they will handle everything being rendered to scale. Having everything be out of proportion was what made it work in the original. Drawn to scale there would be way too much dead space between towns and points of interest.

Will also be interesting to see how they handle the return to Midgar later in the game given that Midgar is big enough to warrant it's own full game.
chase128
AG
Exactly. If we get 3 games with 50-70 hours of content each, hell yeah that's worth it.
rhutton125
AG
No telling how long it takes for those chapters to release. They haven't said anything at all (to my knowledge) about the next one, or how many chapters there will be.

Not beating the FF7 remake until 2025 would be a pain in the ass, but I think that's what we're looking at. Optimistically, perhaps.
TriumphForks
AG
They've said they learned things from development of part 1 so they anticipate a shorter development cycle for the next installments.

But this is Square we're talking about here....

A 2-3 year cycle per game would be reasonable, yet I would be surprised if this is actually what happens. Maybe one installment per console generation is more realistic hah.
FatZilla
AG
They have already been working on part 2 for a while now. That dev team was fully spun up a while back per a review site i watched. Hopefully end of 2021 Christmas release for part 2.
Fenrir
I'll just wait for Square to release the FFVII All-In-One Package like they did for Kingdom Hearts.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Just started the demo and the music on the title screen started and it literally gave me goosebumps. Haven't heard this is over 20 years.
FatZilla
AG
Pay attention to Barret while your with him in the reactor. Every so often he will hum different tunes.
10thYrSr
How are they going to handle leveling up between episodes? Will there be a level cap? If so, once you hit the level cap there isn't much point to continue playing the episode. If not, then by the time the next episode comes out, many people will be massively overleveled.
Chase McGuire
Played through this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I don't have much FF experience and haven't played 7 before, but I enjoyed myself and will probably buy it when it releases.
bbattbq01
AG
10thYrSr said:

How are they going to handle leveling up between episodes? Will there be a level cap? If so, once you hit the level cap there isn't much point to continue playing the episode. If not, then by the time the next episode comes out, many people will be massively overleveled.

I'm wondering about this too. And how materia will work. Iirc when you were leaving midgar was right when you were starting to level up your materia for the first time.
TriumphForks
AG
I would hope there is a system in place to carry your precise stats from game to game. Let's say level 100 is the ultimate "cap" the relative amount of exp you should be getting at the end of game 1 should be minuscule compared to what is required to actually reach the cap (like it is in the original basically). If you want to sit there and grind up to level 100 at the end of Midgar to carry over to the next game that's your perogative. Nothing technically stopped you doing that in the original either.

For those who for one reason or another want to start fresh in subsequent episodes you can choose to start with certain "recommended" stats that the devs decide you should have.
Average Joe
AG
This seemed fitting to the current discussion.

TriumphForks
AG
Average Joe said:

That is one of my favorite videos on the internet. That moment when he pops the Ether at the end is glorious. That takes an enormous amount of time. By my math probably about 750 hours. So basically 2 straight years of fighting random encounters in the first reactor if you did it for one hour per day, skipping no days.
So I preordered the physical copy a month ago from the Square-Enix store. It's supposed to be released this Friday. I haven't received any update on my order. I'm just hoping I get it on release day or early next week. Anyone else preordered the physical copy for the Square store? I know some people have already received it, per social media.

So hilarious. I after posting this, I checked my emails for the first time today and I got an email from Square late last night that my order was shipped. Per tracking number, I get it this Saturday!! I work 12 hours shifts from home on the weekends so I won't be able to fully play it till Tuesday. Can't wait!
Cromagnum
AG
TriumphForks said:

Average Joe said:

That is one of my favorite videos on the internet. That moment when he pops the Ether at the end is glorious. That takes an enormous amount of time. By my math probably about 750 hours. So basically 2 straight years of fighting random encounters in the first reactor if you did it for one hour per day, skipping no days.

LMAO

bbattbq01
AG
Gave in and preordered last night.
bluefire579
AG
Digging it so far, liking the combat in particular. Seeing everything come to life in a more realistic fashion has been wonderful.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.