Switched from suddenlink modem to modem router combo

2,050 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brewmaster
Brewmaster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is probably an easy fix for many here, but am having issues getting more than 1 pc at a time to connect to a router that is connected to a modem (recently replaced the $10 a month rip off job from suddenlink). I have the new modem working and verified with suddenlink over the phone, but can't get the router to give me any more than 1 pc working at a time. There are 3 ethernet connections leaving the router, 1 goes to an Almond, the other 2 to other parts of the house. I have a TP-link 5 port switch that I could use instead of the router, but same issue with it.

I talked to netgear support live from India, and they pretty quickly thought that I have some foreign IP's interfering and keeping the new router from working. To which they wanted to charge me for a firewall service to the tune of 150$ a year! and offered no help beyond that!

I never had an issue with the modem router combo from suddenlink, but going this route has been a nightmare.
AtlAg05
AG
Did the other house connections work before the new equipment?

Might test the pc that works on each of the "out" ports to eliminate a bad port.
UmustBKidding
Are you sure it's not in bridge mode. On the working PC is it's lan address a rfc1918 address like 192.168 , 10. Or 172.16-31 or a real address. Dhcp enabled?
FatZilla
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Are you sure it's not in bridge mode. On the working PC is it's lan address a rfc1918 address like 192.168 , 10. Or 172.16-31 or a real address. Dhcp enabled?

Step 1: Check this
Brewmaster
AG
If the hardwired PC is physically connected via ethernet it works, but no wifi....if the almond is connected it works, but no wifi. If nothings connected, wifi works.
I doubt its bridge mode, everything worked before on the previous setup with a suddenlink modem router combo. Bridge would just be set at the PC right?
Thanks for the help guys!
UmustBKidding
Bridge mode would be set in the router/modem. It might be called bypass or something else. The PC up address can give a clue as to if the address. Came from the router(dhcp) or from the network. Run ipconfig from the command prompt on pc.
lockett93
AG
Hard reset the router, it should factory default to dhcp on and router mode.

Maybe share model numbers of your setup and basic connections as well
Brewmaster
AG
lockett93 said:

okay, hmmm, back to trying the router...
FatZilla
AG
BREwmaster said:

lockett93 said:

Wow, wish I had done it earlier, reset of the modem did the trick! The router I'm sending back to Amazon and it's all working with an ethernet switch hard wired to the modem and rest of the house and using the Almond for wifi.

If you're in BCS, a beer on me!
This is not advisable. You will likely end up with IP address clashes/duplication. A switch is a dummy, its not meant to assign IP's and manage traffic. The modem will only get 1 address for the service provider and pass it along.
lockett93
AG
Agreed.

Either the modem must also act as a router or you need a router immediately after the modem.

Send model numbers and details of what is connected to what and I'll advise further if needed.
Brewmaster
AG
lockett93 said:

Agreed.

Either the modem must also act as a router or you need a router immediately after the modem.

Send model numbers and details of what is connected to what and I'll advise further if needed.
Ahhh, okay, that makes sense and there will be plenty of times when the garage pc is being used and the almond wifi is in use.

I'll hook the router back up and reset the router as well. I would think it would work this time, but who knows...

thanks guys!
Brewmaster
AG
Brilliant! I hard reset the router (paper clip to hidden reset button via the manual), powered off modem, powered it back on just in case.

Everything came back on, Voila! I have internets throughout the house and wifi!

My beer offer stands to any that are local, I'm in Bryan.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.