Geek Squad for TV and Sound Bar

775 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UmustBKidding
GreasenUSA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last month, I purchased the Sony 55 inch X950G and the Sony HTZ9F 3.1 Sound Bar. For picture and sound quality, I'm really impressed, but there a few little annoying bugs, and I'm wondering if purchasing Geek Squad would be worth it for potential fixes, repair, or replacement if things get worse.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-55-class-led-x950g-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331577.p?skuId=6331577

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-3-1-ch-hi-res-sound-bar-with-wireless-subwoofer-black/6201448.p?skuId=6201448

5 year coverage for the TV is $229 and 4 year coverage for the Sound Bar is $85.

This is my first true smart tv after owning tons of Rokus, Shield TV, Fire Stick, and Chromecast paired with dumb tvs. Unfortunately, short of a projector, you can no longer get a good quality panel that doesn't have smart features anymore. I love Rokus, but Android TV is the best for what I need, so this TV is just about perfect.

Issues:
1) Casting (for example Youtube from app on Android phone, or Youtube.com from Chrome browser) doesn't seem to work well very often. Sometimes the TV won't show up as a cast device; sometimes it does, but won't connect. This seems to be a known issue after the latest Android OS update for Bravia TVs.
2) Wireless subwoofer sometimes cuts out for seconds at a time. This is also a known issue for some owners. I've had this happen 3 times, and was able to mitigate it by switching some settings.
3) Sometimes no sound after switching inputs from Cable Box to Android TV apps, and vice versa.

Essentially bought the TV and Sound Bar bundle for $1,500, and wondering if spending $315 on Geek Squad would be worth it.

As it is, I can deal with these minor issues. I'm just worried what happens if they get worse. Would Geek Squad even repair/replace with such issues? Have to make the decision by the end of the weekend. Would love to hear any thoughts or experiences on the service.
immortal_kumquat
Check for firmware updates on the router and TV. As far as the wireless sub dropping out, is it RF or Bluetooth? If it's RF and you have a lot of stuff on WiFi you might try changing the RF channel on the sub or the router to mitigate the issue. If your router has support for 5ghz see if moving wifi devices to that band helps.
immortal_kumquat
You might also check for firmware updates for the soundbar
GreasenUSA
AG
Thank you. I've tried all that. I'd really like opinions on if these are issues that Geek Squad would actually try to fix (doubt they can do anything beyond what I've done) or replace based on these issues.
UmustBKidding
I would not use geek squad to take out my trash. But not personal experience, but from seeing how they screwed up things up of people that asked me to help after the had been there.
Am sure there is useful professional help where you are at (might be useful to know) but it extremely unlikely that anyone involved with geek squad is them.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.