Cutting cable cord, what is best?

1,588 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
Bocephus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I only have smart TVs in my home. I paid $180 last month for cable with no movie channels. What is my least expensive option?

Fire stick? Roku? YouTube tv? Hulu?

I want to watch live sports and a few tv shows.
GarlandAg2012
AG
There are many threads on this board on this topic
GarlandAg2012
AG
https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3093096
Bocephus
AG
Thx
johnnyblaze36
AG
I cut DirecTv around nine months ago and switched to YouTube TV and it's one of the better decisions I've ever made. I reduced my bill from $135 to $55 per month and find the features of YT to be far superior.
Bocephus
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

I cut DirecTv around nine months ago and switched to YouTube TV and it's one of the better decisions I've ever made. I reduced my bill from $135 to $55 per month and find the features of YT to be far superior.

And you got Aggie Football?
Al Bula
AG
Bocephus said:

what is best?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
johnnyblaze36
AG
Bocephus said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Yes and there has only been one Aggie basketball game I didn't get because it was on ESPN U so I just watched it on a reddit stream.

Setting up things to record is the easiest thing in the world too. With just one simple click you can set it to record every single NCAA basketball game that comes on, NFL, CFB, NBA, NHL, MLB, PGA, etc.

The ONLY drawback to it I've found is that the remote control sucks with it in that it is very slow to register.
aTm2004
AG
Quick rundown of some highlights.

Don't rely on your Smart TV. It can run most of the apps, but a 3rd party one would be best. Get an Apple TV (if you're in the Apple ecosystem), Fire TV, or Roku. Chromecast is another option, but a bit different from the others.

As far as services go, have YouTube TV and my dad has Hulu Live. We're both happy.

Frndly TV is a more family friendly service that's dirt cheap with channels like Hallmark, Outdoors, Sportsman, Weather, etc. Basically, a supplemental service.
aTm2004
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Bocephus said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Yes and there has only been one Aggie basketball game I didn't get because it was on ESPN U so I just watched it on a reddit stream.

Setting up things to record is the easiest thing in the world too. With just one simple click you can set it to record every single NCAA basketball game that comes on, NBA, NHL, MLB, PGA, etc.

The ONLY drawback to it I've found is that the remote control sucks with it in that it is very slow to register.
YTTV gets ESPNU. You can also log into the ESPN app to watch SEC+ channels. If sports are your thing, YTTV is it. You can favorite specific teams and specific sports. Say you're a college football fan, you can choose to record College Football, or just pick the Aggies as the football team to record, then anytime there's a college football game (or Aggie game if you have it team specific), it'll record.

You also get Big Ten Network and ACC Network, Fox Sports regional (Southwest in TX) on top of all of the ESPN channels, FS1, CBS Sports, and NBC Sports channels.

You can stream everything from your phone if you're traveling or you can take a player (Fire Stick, etc) with you and plug it into the TV in your hotel room, connect to the internet, and watch all of your shows.
AggieDruggist89
AG
YTTV and don't look back.

Directv sent me an email asking to comeback for $39.99. I was tempted to say yes if they will give me everything and movie channels for 10 years at $39.99.
PatAg
AG
One thing I expect cable providers to start doing, is either charging exorbitant prices for internet, or finding a way to cap download limits
Bocephus
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Directv sent me an email asking to comeback for $39.99. I was tempted to say yes if they will give me everything and movie channels for 10 years at $39.99.

How much is YTTV?
johnnyblaze36
AG
Bocephus said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

How much is YTTV?
I pay $54 a month after taxes.
aTm2004
AG
PatAg said:

One thing I expect cable providers to start doing, is either charging exorbitant prices for internet, or finding a way to cap download limits

I think they'll begin to move away from traditional cable service and begin offering streaming services instead. My issue with cable/satellite isn't that their packages cost a lot, it's all of the additional fees they charge and the required use to rent their boxes from them for each room. Your $70/mo service suddenly balloons to $100+. So, if you want to have TV as an option in every room, you're paying $7-10/mo for each box, or for satellite, their card. You can buy a Fire Stick for around $25 if you catch them on sale and have one in every room for not much more than you'll pay a year for a box in 1 room.
aTm2004
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Bocephus said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

How much is YTTV?
And no contract. I was with PSVue for a couple of years before being forced to switch to YTTV after Sony ended Vue. I've been very happy with the switch.

Also, if you're a Karate Kid fan, with YTTV, you get access to the YouTube Original shows, which the most popular one is Cobra Kai. Awesome show with a lot of the original characters.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Here's what I've done. Everybody circumstances are different...

1. Antenna connected to living room TV for local channels (one time fee of $25) and I get about 30 channels with it.
2. Apple TV in living room, with Roku devices in other rooms
2. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, Disney+, YouTube...this is where my family spends the vast majority of their time while watching TV. There's so much content on these apps you almost don't need anything else.
3. For ESPN I just use my dads DirecTV password with the app on the devices.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
PatAg said:

They're already doing it. We were on Suddenlink as they and ATT U-verse are the only non-satellite options in our area. I looked at cutting out the TV and phone service (we had bundled service) and going with internet only. Their 400 mbps service is what we would need due to unlimited data. It was going to be $70-80 month. Then if you add YouTubeTV or a similar service you're almost right back where we were for the bundled service without premium channels. Wasn't really worth making the switch.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

I looked at cutting out the TV and phone service (we had bundled service) and going with internet only.
I have bundled TV, phone and internet with Suddenlink. I only use internet, but to drop the other two would have made my monthly bill go up. Go figure ...
MW03
AG
Shife said:

Bocephus said:

what is best?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
Opened this thread to post this image.
TMoney2007
AG
Col. Steve Austin said:

PatAg said:

They're already doing it. We were on Suddenlink as they and ATT U-verse are the only non-satellite options in our area. I looked at cutting out the TV and phone service (we had bundled service) and going with internet only. Their 400 mbps service is what we would need due to unlimited data. It was going to be $70-80 month. Then if you add YouTubeTV or a similar service you're almost right back where we were for the bundled service without premium channels. Wasn't really worth making the switch.
Data caps are a pure money grab... They sell you a certain speed and you are only allowed to use it at a 0.02% duty cycle...

The economics for me were different because ATT ran fiber into my neighborhood, so I got 1000 mbps up and down for ~$80 and I would have signed up for that anyway (I was paying more than that for slower service before). That level comes with unlimited data.
GreasenUSA
AG
If getting an external device, Nvidia Shield is the best. AppleTV if you use Apple stuff. Otherwise, the cheapest options would be a Roku or Fire TV.
johnnyblaze36
AG
aTm2004 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Bocephus said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

How much is YTTV?
Also, if you're a Karate Kid fan, with YTTV, you get access to the YouTube Original shows, which the most popular one is Cobra Kai. Awesome show with a lot of the original characters.
All of this. Can't wait for season 3.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.