Rural Internet Service to Support Streaming

1,516 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Aggie
Illustrious Potentate
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So we recently moved to an area where internet service is less than desirable. Apparently AT&T is the only "wired" option and it's not fiber optic. (I'm completely ignorant to all of this and just repeating what I've been told by neighbors)

With that in mind I thought I'd see if anyone has a suggestion for a satellite internet provider that would support streaming live TV. We've cut the cord and would prefer to stay with our streaming services if possible for TV.
Willie Lane

There are several people in a similar situation (myself included) who use OTR. Here is the thread with everything you need to know:

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/3026369
Illustrious Potentate
AG
Holy smokes! Appreciate you sending the link.

It looks like this is going to be more daunting that I anticipated. Is there a rural internet for dummies?
akaggie05
AG
Just because ATT isn't fiber doesn't mean it won't smoke anything satellite can provide, especially latency-wise. I suggest you at least explore what ATT has to offer and see if it works for you before trying anything more exotic.
Illustrious Potentate
AG
Appreciate that! From speaking to the neighbors it sounds like if there are any other viable options we should go that route. Several are ready to start a lynch mob and go after AT&T.
fooz
ATT is most likely going to be your best bet. I'd kill to have a wired connection.

Currently I use a "fixed wireless" provider, which is my best option. The speed is only 5-10 up, and ~25 down, but it's unlimited data and pay $70 a month. The satellite options were worse and more expensive.
khkman22
AG
Illustrious Potentate said:

Holy smokes! Appreciate you sending the link.

It looks like this is going to be more daunting that I anticipated. Is there a rural internet for dummies?
It can be really simple for the OTR setup. Now, I'm only about .3 miles from the closest AT&T tower so it was a no brainer to switch from my previous fixed wireless option to OTR. If you are lucky enough to be within a half mile, the Netgear LB1120 that's posted in that thread should be fine. You won't necessarily have to go the route of the cradle point high end modem if you are close enough. I normally get 30+ mbps down and 15-20 up. At times I can get 50+ down and 25 up. It's fast enough to have three streams at the same time.
rjhtamu
AG
Same boat. We're rural far enough away to not have wired internet. Cell is pretty crappy here as well.

We used Fixed Wireless over line of sight radio towers. Nextlink is a major provider, but we use Central Link becuase they're cheaper.

Service is flat rate monthly with no data caps, but the speeds are variable. Usually get between 10-30mbps.
On terrible days it can be less than 1. Best day yet we hit 75.

Still better than satellite.
OverSeas AG
AG
Every knee shall bow and every tongue shall confess
DON'T TREAD ON ME
The Aggie
AG
I'm also in a rural area. We have DSL - supposedly 20 MBPS. I'm very satisfied with the speed as far as maneuvering TexAgs and surfing the net. To me, it's plenty fast. Maybe I'm just used to it.

HOWEVER........... I just ran a speed test, and it showed Download speed: 9.09 Mbps; Upload: 1.97 Mbps.

Given all of this, does it sound feasible for me to even consider ditching DirecTV and trying Roku?

Forgive my ignorance. I'm an old. I can't help it.

jay040
Roku isn't a service, it's a device that let's you install apps for a service. If you're willing to shell out ~$30-$40 for a Roku or Firestick, most of the streaming services like YoutubeTV or Hulu offer 5 day free trials.

Edit - you don't even need a Roku/firestick for the trial - you can do the free trials on your PC.
The Aggie
AG
Thanks, Jay. I'm still wondering, though..... before I shell out the money for a Roku or Firestick in order to try the free trial, I'd like an opinion, based upon my speed test results, as to what my chances of success are. If my numbers are considered laughable, why even try?
The Aggie
AG
Never mind. I just came across this information:

Recommended Internet Speed

You need a minimum download speed of 3 Megabits per second to watch a single video stream in clear, standard definition. The best Internet speed for HD streaming is 5Mbps, and if you go all the way up to 4K streaming, or ultra HD, your bandwidth should start at 25Mbps.

Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.