Two cell phones, one number

2,135 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Premium
Seersucker Ag 2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd like to continue to own my iPhone but be able to leave it at home or in the other room while still getting calls and texts on a more basic phone on the same phone number. Is this possible? Basically I want to have the option of getting away from apps while still not having to worry that I'll miss an urgent call while I'm away from my iPhone. I have Verizon.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Call forwarding?
EMY92
AG
I think call forwarding would require a second number and service plan.
AG
I wouldn't expect any blue text messages to forward.
Bobcat-Ag
Maybe use a Google Voice number? You can make it ring to multiple devices.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-google-voice-works-3426682
Vernada
AG
OP - given your goal and the difficulty I think you'll have with this solution, have you looked at the options available to you via Screen Time? (in settings)

Using Downtime and App Limits might let you do what you are trying to do.
MaroonStain
AG
Light Phone 2

I don't know how the Light Phone 2 has progressed but may be an option.
littlebitofhifi
AG
I looked into this for awhile and finally just opted to add cellular to my Apple Watch. Same number, all notifications disabled except call & text. So I can leave my phone at home or in the car but still be reachable. It's worked well enough.
permabull
AG
saw em off
Little cool fact: Call forwarding was invented so the mob could hide from the feds their gaming rackets. The documentary, Genius On Hold, is about the guy who invented most of the phone features we use today. Great doc, but very sad also. I know this doesn't help OPs question but thought I'd throw this out there anyway.
CubbieAggie
AG
Looks like it is possible. Your device options are limited, though.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/numbershare-faqs/
cav14
Google Voice is the easiest and most useful option. You can add additional phones and any other internet connected devices including your regular computer and tablet all to one number at any time.
htxag09
AG
hypeiv said:

This is the answer... Transfer your current number to Google voice, then get a new number for your iPhone and the second phone you have. Set Google voice to forward all calls from your old number to both the new numbers.
If you do this, will it show two different numbers when you make outgoing calls on your two phones?

Also, does this work with text messages?
txyaloo
AG
htxag09 said:

hypeiv said:

This is the answer... Transfer your current number to Google voice, then get a new number for your iPhone and the second phone you have. Set Google voice to forward all calls from your old number to both the new numbers.
If you do this, will it show two different numbers when you make outgoing calls on your two phones?

Also, does this work with text messages?
Not sure how it works on iOS, but on Android, I can choose whether to use my GV number or actual number for calls. You can use the GV app to send SMS through the GV number. Not sure if you can do it anymore, but my GV number is integrated into Hangouts which allows sending MMS, etc.

Another benefit of using GV is you can connect it to a landline phone in your house using an Obihai. It basically acts like a "free" voip service.
UmustBKidding
Another possibility is to get one of the Panasonic bluetooth capable cordless phones and bind it to your smart phone. I use these at my mothers house so she has multiple handsets around the house where she can answer calls from her land line or mobile.
She bring in her purse and sets it down and plugs in iphone to the charger. She answers all calls on the cordless.
AgfromHOU
AG
Can't you just log into iMessage with your iCloud account and on send and receive click your number?
ravingfans
AG

hypeiv said:

problem is when you text somebody back, they will get your text to an unknown to them number. Also, when you call out, it will come from a different number. When somebody sends a text to your google voice number it won't go to your phone.

I did something similar with Vonage a number of years ago--major pain in the butt having to explain why I had multiple numbers. On the other hand, if you want others to think of you as too geeky for your own good, go for it!
hph6203
AG
Anything you do is gonna be a total pain in the ass with iMessage, at least at the start. Your friends with iPhones will message you and it'll go to your iMessage account rather than your Google Voice account. And once you turn off iMessage you're gonna be the green bubble a-hole that degrades all the videos sent. The only way I can think of to get all your texts and phone calls without messing up iMessage is to do the Apple Watch + Cellular route as mentioned above. Get some AirPods and you'll be able to talk on the phone without looking like an idiot and they're convenient to carry.

As long as your iPhone is turned on it will forward text messages.
txyaloo
AG
ravingfans said:

hypeiv said:

problem is when you text somebody back, they will get your text to an unknown to them number. Also, when you call out, it will come from a different number. When somebody sends a text to your google voice number it won't go to your phone.

I did something similar with Vonage a number of years ago--major pain in the butt having to explain why I had multiple numbers. On the other hand, if you want others to think of you as too geeky for your own good, go for it!

If you port your current number to GV, you can make calls from it with no issues and it'll show up on your outgoing caller id. When people send me a text to my GV#, it goes to my phone with no issues. When I reply, it comes from the GV #. I use hangount to reply from GV and the google messages app to reply from SMS

It's really not difficult
ravingfans
AG
txyaloo said:

ravingfans said:

hypeiv said:

If you port your current number to GV, you can make calls from it with no issues and it'll show up on your outgoing caller id. When people send me a text to my GV#, it goes to my phone with no issues. When I reply, it comes from the GV #. I use hangount to reply from GV and the google messages app to reply from SMS

good to know--do you have any concerns about Google owning/controlling your number or gathering intel on who you are calling, etc.?
CubbieAggie
AG
If you have android, they probably already do.

The only thing to worry about with porting your current number to google voice, you still need WiFi or data on two different phones or that to work.
Bunkhouse96
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Another possibility is to get one of the Panasonic bluetooth capable cordless phones and bind it to your smart phone. I use these at my mothers house so she has multiple handsets around the house where she can answer calls from her land line or mobile.
She bring in her purse and sets it down and plugs in iphone to the charger. She answers all calls on the cordless.

I think this is what he is looking for and by far the easiest answer. My mother does this with her iPhone as well.
Whoop Delecto
AG
aggietony2010
AG
ravingfans said:

txyaloo said:

ravingfans said:

hypeiv said:

good to know--do you have any concerns about Google owning/controlling your number or gathering intel on who you are calling, etc.?

I think my biggest concern would be Google deciding Google Voice isn't worth it anymore and ending the service like they have with many of their others.

But that would just put the OP back at square one.
JSKolache
AG
Or just delete some apps and carry on?
txyaloo
AG
aggietony2010 said:

ravingfans said:

txyaloo said:

ravingfans said:

Quote:

gggghis is the answer... Transfer your current number to Google voice, then get a new number for your iPhone and the second phone you have. Set Google voice to forward all calls from your old number to both the new numbers.

I think my biggest concern would be Google deciding Google Voice isn't worth it anymore and ending the service like they have with many of their others.

But that would just put the OP back at square one.

Agreed. GV fell out of favor several years ago and I assumed it was going to end up in the pile of dead Google services, but they seem to have reinvested in it the last year.

I own so many Google devices I'm already screwed with respect to the data they may have on me. I've been an Android user since the original Droid. I honestly don't care if they know who I'm calling.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
For business customers, they could be talked into numbershare between a flip phone and a smart phone - but I think I was paying for two phones.

The best thing for my productivity is my current set up.

I have an iPad mini, and a flip phone, and my numbers on "number barn". We will be adding some of google voice's number for business to some work stuff. I might put one on the iPad. Not sure how well the PBX feature on GV works, but it works just fine at being able to make calls, etc.

Frankly, a phone is a piss poor compromise, IMO. Something much smaller, and useful for texts/to see vital alerts/get taxis/act as a wallet, makes sense.

After getting used to my mini, I cannot imagine going back to dealing with a phone.

Now, as to why Apple only makes their pro line, in the larger tablets/why they haven't thought about the most common notebook size being an A5, I don't know,
permabull
AG
UmustBKidding
Unless things have changed gv does support sms but not mms so group text and images don't work.
Could write an app or twilio but beyond just sign up and done.
permabull
AG
txyaloo
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Unless things have changed gv does support sms but not mms so group text and images don't work.
Could write an app or twilio but beyond just sign up and done.

MMS has worked for the last 6-7 years. It was enabled when GV was integrated with Hangouts
Premium
AG
What about an Apple Watch with the cellular plan and Bluetooth headphone?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.