First Gaming PC Build Advice

3,396 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tk for tu juan
saltydog13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1080ti costs over a grand these days
DayAg!
S
Ah, I havent looked in a while, built this machine over a year ago. It's a good card. Pushes my 3840 x 2160 pretty good.
"Poor soul, he was just too high strung. I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear."
tk for tu juan
tamusc said:

You can use the Boot Camp Assistant to create a bootable Windows 10 install USB drive when you're using a Mac.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-windows-10-installer-usb-drive-mac

tamusc
AG
Sorry I didn't check this thread earlier.
tk for tu juan
I even have Win7 installed on a bootcamp partition, and completely forgot about it since I haven't used it for 2 years.
HossAg
AG
I was literally making my windows install tool USB last night and was wondering why the link for the media creation tool that I had used before wasn't showing up on the website on my Mac. Switched over to my windows partition and it showed up on the website.

I feel bad that you went through all that.
tamusc
HossAg
AG
It's done. There was a lot of trial and error and undoing stuff that I had already installed to make something else work. I'm pretty happy with it.

tamusc
AG
Looks good!
AtlAg05
AG
It's not a true PC build until something goes wrong. Congrats!
HossAg
AG
My CPU shipped with some bent pins so that was a very stressful "operation" fixing that. I was so pissed
tk for tu juan
Which fan connection on the board did you use for the top fan? Since my front two and one back fan used all the chassis fan connections, I hooked the top fan to CPU_OPT. The BIOS didn't have a way to independently control the CPU_OPT, so I was wondering if I should use the AIO connection instead
HossAg
AG
My top fan actually plugs into the AIO cooler. I took the RGB fans off the radiator and put them on the case, and they plugged into the cooler because of that. The other fans just had enough normal slots on the board.
AtlAg05
AG
There was a thread on reddit years ago where a guy posted how he got his intel chip and all the pins were bent. He then mentioned how he painstakingly straightened all of them.

Then the responses came in about how intel chips were supposed to come that way etc etc. no idea if the guy was trolling but it was a funny read after my build problems back then.
HossAg
AG
I only had to straighten about 10 of them. Can't imagine straightening a whole CPU's worth. I'd just give up. I was honestly shocked when the thing turned on and worked.
HossAg
AG
Just FYI for those looking to build soon: My buddy and I built identical setups, but I chose a Corsair H100 CPU cooler and he went with the stock cooler. His load temps are hitting 85-90 celsius, and my load temps aren't going over 65 celsius so far. I'd recommend spending a little extra for the liquid cooling if you're running something like the Ryzen 7.
saltydog13
AG
I'll probably be waiting for Black Friday deals later this year, but that's good to know.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, the stock coolers included with the Ryzen CPUs are significantly better than the Intel box coolers, but don't really give you much if any headroom for overclocking.
tk for tu juan
What kind of load test were you using? So far on the stock air cooled 3700x I haven't noticed temps over 70degC (the boards RGB lights are set to turn red when it hits 70). I probably need to try some of the blender tests that seem to be popular. The Gears5 benchmark is the only thing I have used so far, after that I have been stuck playing hours and hours of Cities: Skylines, haha

I currently do not see a need to overclock the 3700x. Most of the tests when the 3rd Gens came out showed minimal performance gains over the base clock speed.
tamusc
AG
Yeah, in most instances overclocking a 3rd Ryzen isn't needed.
HossAg
AG
After I posted last night, he turned off any overclocking he had going on and turned his stock cooler fan up to max (not sure if that's bad long term) and his temps were no longer going above 55 C during PUBG and COD MW. My AIO cooler wasn't going over 55 C either at the default pump and fan speed settings.
tamusc
AG
That sounds more like it. Running the fan speed at max won't really hurt it, just makes it louder.
HossAg
AG
Anyone know if 95% EDC reading on Ryzen master utility is bad? I have a 750 W PSU so I should have plenty of power. I don't have overclocking or performance boost enabled. Every other reading on Ryzen master isn't even close to pushing the limit so that one is confusing to me.
tamusc
AG
HossAg said:

Anyone know if 95% EDC reading on Ryzen master utility is bad? I have a 750 W PSU so I should have plenty of power. I don't have overclocking or performance boost enabled. Every other reading on Ryzen master isn't even close to pushing the limit so that one is confusing to me.

Make sure you've downloaded the masters Ryzen Master version and are using the Windows Balanced Power Profile rather than the Ryzen Balanced Power Profile. The older Ryzen Balanced doesn't drop the voltage when idle, but the MS Balanced does and has been updated for Ryzen CPUs.
HossAg
AG
Yeah I've done those, and during idle it's only like 20%. As soon as I start a game it spikes up though.
tamusc
AG
Do you have PBO or automatic overclocking enabled? Running the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

I mean, as long as your VRM is running cool enough, it's probably fine.
tk for tu juan
Test on RAM required using current games. 4GB, haha

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.