GTX 2070 Super vs 2080 Super

1,235 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by FIDO95
HossAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys, fixing to be building my first PC, and I just can't decide between a Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2070 super setup and a Ryzen 7 3700x and RTX 2080 super setup.

It's gonna be like a $500 difference, and the difference in frame rate seems to not be super significant. I'm just wondering if it's worth it for future proofing and 1440p gameplay. Anyone have a recommendation?

Also, does anyone have an opinion on Ryzen vs. Intel? I've read that Ryzen will perform slightly worse for gaming but better for multitasking.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I'm an intel guy but I think most of my AMD buddies are running a 5 and have no problems with the latest and greats TripleAs. I guess it depends on your budget and what you're willing to spend. I'm still running a 9th gen I5 with a GTX 970 and I can run just about everything I care about on Ultra.
aezmvp
Honestly you're not going to see much of a difference with a 2070 vs a 2080 in 1440p, unless you're running 3 or more screens. You might in some VR titles and you would in 4k. You might see some difference in ultra settings with Ray Tracing, but I'm not putting much stock in ray tracing at the moment. The processor is about right. AMD will be better for multitasking and some rendering/calculation work with more threads and cores, but unless that's your thing, it's not a big difference tbh.
tk for tu juan
I just bought a 3700x and a 2070 Super last night to start building a desktop. I saw no need for the 2080 Super since it had minimal gain for the extra $200+ it cost. The rest of the build:
Asus X570 TUF motherboard
PNY Anarchy X 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz ram
1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
Corsair 650W PSU

Still need to swing by Microcenter to get a case and other items
BourbonAg
AG
I recently upgraded to a 2070 Super and game on a 34" Ultrawide monitor. I have been very happy overall with the performance on Ultra settings.
HossAg
AG
Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning 2070 super. Any reason I should go ryzen 7 over ryzen 5?
aggiebq03+
tk for tu juan said:

I just bought a 3700x and a 2070 Super last night to start building a desktop. I saw no need for the 2080 Super since it had minimal gain for the extra $200+ it cost. The rest of the build:
Asus X570 TUF motherboard
PNY Anarchy X 2x8GB DDR4 3200 MHz ram
1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
Corsair 650W PSU

Still need to swing by Microcenter to get a case and other items

Built mine in late 2018 but was similar to above. Went with some items on sale around Black Friday deals.
1070 ti
Ryzen 5
16GB ram (2x8)

Has worked well powering a 3440x1440 ultra wide. Won't max out to 120fps on Ultra but gets well above 60fps on AAA. Gets well above 120fps for easier to push titles like Rocket League. Works well with a Oculus Rift S VR headset.

Have felt no need to upgrade anything yet, other than just the fact I haven't bought new parts since I built it
Hagen95
AG
HossAg said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning 2070 super. Any reason I should go ryzen 7 over ryzen 5?
Normally, I go with the most powerful chip I can afford, but I don't replace my computer very often so I want them to last longer. If you replace more frequently, save a little money and get the 5.
tk for tu juan
The tempting thing is Microcenter has the 3900x priced at $479. I bought the 3700x for $329 from Best Buy. Not much more to get four additional cores

https://www.microcenter.com/product/608316/amd-ryzen-9-3900x-38ghz-12-core-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-prism-cooler
HossAg
AG
This is what I've got setup right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ptNPK4
aggiebq03+
You said you wanted to game.
Feel like there is a serious lack of RGB horsepower...

But seriously, I'm sure that will be nice.
tk for tu juan
The cooling fan from AMD has RGB, it is enough for me.
tk for tu juan
How much headroom do y'all leave between the calculated power supply needs and the total power supply of your PSU? When do you switch from using 650W to 750W and above?
javajaws
AG
1440 at what refresh rate? If you are not using a high refresh rate monitor both would probably be a waste/overkill. But obviously the 2080 would be better if you can afford it.

FWIW, I run a 2080 super with an LG 27GL850-B.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Hagen95
AG
tk for tu juan said:

The cooling fan from AMD has RGB, it is enough for me.
C'mon! You need the RGB RAM sticks in your box.
HossAg
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

You said you wanted to game.
Feel like there is a serious lack of RGB horsepower...

But seriously, I'm sure that will be nice.

Lmao, I actually posted that, looked at it again, and added RGB ram and fans. Definitely wasn't fast enough in that original link.
HossAg
AG
I'll be using 1440p 144 hz.
FIDO95
AG
This guy does lots of really good reviews.

Hope it helps.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.