New 50" TV recs

1,036 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jetch17
jetch17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Last time I bought a TV our current 46" sharp aquos it was hot stuff as 1080p was cutting edge.

Well it's starting to crap out and am in the market for a new 50" for the living room. With all the options out there, just seeing if y'all had any reccs
Naveronski
AG
This site seems to be the g-to for reviews: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-size/48-49-50-inch
jetch17
AG
Thanks
AgsWin2011
AG
What are you looking to spend? That is the question. I think you can get a OLED for a decent price if your just looking at the 50" range.

If you're looking to go cheap, I'd recommend TCL with built in Roku.
jetch17
AG
Figured I'd keep it 500-600 ... doesn't need to be totally cheap - just haven't done much research on OLED/QLED and whether it's worth just paying more, most look over 1k - need to go see some in person I suppose
Icecream_Ag
S
Are you limited to 50"?

And if you are looking cheap, TCL is a good brand. If you want a more mainstream brand, staying away from OLED/QLED is your best cost saving option. IMO unless you are an obsessive videophile, there isn't a big enough picture quality difference between the second tier tvs and the OLED/QLED to matter anyway.

I will say that most brands have gone to what I call the LG model. All the screens are the same, but the higher the trim line the better the built in speakers. So don't think you need the best trim for best picture. If that makes sense.
tamusc
AG
I wouldn't lump in OLED and QLED together as they are completely technologies. Current QLED displays are still more traditional LCD displays that just use quantum doors to improve color and contrast some, but still require a backlight of some kind. OLED displays are self emissive and therefore don't require a backlight, which translates into significantly better contrast solve each individual pixel can turn completely black.

Mid tier TVs can get pretty close to current QLED sets in terms of picture quality these days, but are still way behind OLED.

Agreed they the TCL 5 and 6 series are solid TVs.
jetch17
AG
I'm just limited in this case in size due to an inset in our living room - I MAY be able to push a 55" if the dimensions are right
zooguy96
TCL with the Roku. Picked up a 65" on Black Friday for $399. A 55" in the same package should be far under your price point.
jetch17
AG
Cool, thanks yall. ill dig around, we just really use the main TV for Uverse cable/DVR along with Netflix.

Do TV's these days even come with analog plugins anymore (say for the kids NES/Super NES mini consoles?)

Sorry im a lazy dumb when it comes to this stuff.
zooguy96
jetch17 said:

Cool, thanks yall. ill dig around, we just really use the main TV for Uverse cable/DVR along with Netflix.

Do TV's these days even come with analog plugins anymore (say for the kids NES/Super NES mini consoles?)

Sorry im a lazy dumb when it comes to this stuff.
I played my NES and SNES on my other TV. I haven't checked to see if this one has an analog plug in, but I would assume it would, since most cable connects that way.
tk for tu juan
The Vizio 50" V-series is just under $300 at Walmart and other places. Plus it has free streaming channels for MST3K and old Baywatch episodes.

The 55" LG Nanocell TVs have pretty thin bezels and can probably fit in spaces of older 50" TVs
jetch17
AG
Did a broad look during lunch, looks like a 55-60" will be feasible - funny going from so clunky to the latest & greatest thin/screen surface

Even more obvious it's time for a new one
AgsWin2011
AG
As I mentioned before, I would highly consider the TCL with built in Roku. When we moved into our new house we bought a 43" TCL for all of the bedrooms except for the master bedroom. They have great picture and they're cheap, so if they ever go out, it doesn't sting as much.

We had a 75" Sony 4K TV that didn't survive the move. I spent $2,500 on that TV and once it broke, I swore I would never spend that much money on a TV ever again. We replaced it with a 75" Vizio P Series that I was able to get for $999 (Best Buy price matched New Egg, which I'm sure the price listed was an error at the time, but nonetheless!). This Vizio TV, granted it's a year or 2 newer, has a MUCH better picture and motion than the Sony did.
CAR96
AG
TCL and you will not regret it. I bought a 49" TCL about a year and a half ago for my bedroom; it has the built in ROKU ( I had never owned a ROKU) and I love it so much I just put a TCL 6 Series 55" inch in the living room to replace a perfectly good 55" Samsung with Quantam Dot technology (it would be inconsistent when streaming movies).

This new TCL 6 series has Dolby Vision/ Atmos and the picture is great. Best Buy has them for $549 and about 5 days after purchase I got an email from Best Buy with a coupon that I could receive 15% off the purchase price...Best Buy granted it and saved me another $85.

The only thing about these streaming style tv's is the remote it comes with is not really designed to change cable (I have UVERSE as well ) channels so I use a universal Harmony remote.
AggieBarstool
CAR96 said:

TCL and you will not regret it. I bought a 49" TCL about a year and a half ago for my bedroom; it has the built in ROKU ( I had never owned a ROKU) and I love it so much I just put a TCL 6 Series 55" inch in the living room to replace a perfectly good 55" Samsung with Quantam Dot technology (it would be inconsistent when streaming movies).

This new TCL 6 series has Dolby Vision/ Atmos and the picture is great. Best Buy has them for $549 and about 5 days after purchase I got an email from Best Buy with a coupon that I could receive 15% off the purchase price...Best Buy granted it and saved me another $85.

The only thing about these streaming style tv's is the remote it comes with is not really designed to change cable (I have UVERSE as well ) channels so I use a universal Harmony remote.
This +1. I have the 49" and love it. Will upgrade to a bigger one (and put the current one in a bedroom or home office) at some point in the future.
jetch17
AG
Ended up with a 58" Samsung 7 series tonight - easy setup, looks great
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.