Anti-Virus Software

1,040 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by dave99ag
AustinAg2K
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do people recommend for Anti-virus software now days? I've tried googling, but I don't really trust the results aren't just paid advertisements. I'd like some real world knowledge of what people recommend.
SJEAg
AG
Malwarebytes for any manual scans/cleanup (I use this at work, my system is usually kept clean)

I just roll with Windows Defender otherwise.
FatZilla
AG
Been running the Norton Security 5pc for all my PC's for years now. No issues with them. They used to be total sh*t in the past (Like 10 years ago) but not anymore.
LostInLA07
AG
Just FYI many ISPs have some sort of free partnership with McAfee or Norton.
95_Aggie
AG
Just use what is built in Windows ... and don't do stupid stuff online.
txag2k
AG
SJEAg said:

Malwarebytes for any manual scans/cleanup (I use this at work, my system is usually kept clean)

I just roll with Windows Defender otherwise.
Yuuuuup!
AustinAg2K
95_Aggie said:

Just use what is built in Windows ... and don't do stupid stuff online.
While I agree with this, the question is actually for my parents. They're old and will almost certainly do stupid stuff online.
SJEAg
AG
Built-in Defender actually gets pretty decent reviews these days. Would also suggest not using IE and install HTTPS everywhere addon. Make sure Windows is checking for updates regularly at times it can actually download/install (i.e not only at 2am if the PC is turned off every night).

And tell your parents to stay off sites that tend to have lot of malware junk on them. My mother always got into trouble by looking for and playing flash games (solitaire, mahjong type of stuff) and going to lame coupon sites. That needs to stop or you need to find a safe place for it.

Also, educate them on phishing and vishing. We may scoff, but older people are the ones who fall for that regularly.
CapCity12thMan
AG
No matter how hard I try, my 85 year old dad ends up with junk all over his PC. New browsers, shortcuts all different in each one, flash turned off, sites he can't get to...last time I was there some search toolbar got installed and pinned to the top of all his windows/desktop.

The instructions of "just don't _______" will not work with old ppl. These game and coupon saving sites make it darn near impossible to navigate without something slipping its way onto your PC.
Azariah
AG
Do not use anything other than the built-in Windows Defender. The hoops other companies have to jump through to crack open Windows security to try and do their job exposes you to more malware than you will save yourself from.
AggieBarstool
PC or Mac?

If PC, just use the build-in Windows Antivirus/Defender/whatever the new name is this quarter. It's more than sufficient for your average internet browsing.

If Mac, it's a toss up on which one is most effective. Just pick one. I use Avast's free offering. And yes, before some yahoo screams, "Macs don't need antivirus! Hur hur!" -- yes, they absolutely do. Don't even start that tired argument.
dave99ag
AG
It may not be a bad idea to install an ad blocker extension like uBlock Origin. That has lessened the amount of random crap that shows up on my folks' PC due to random clicks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.