The fainting of Betelgeuse

3,426 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by spaceman
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been following this story for a while now. It appears that the star Betelgeuse, a red giant and one of the brightest stars in the Orion constellation, has been dimming since last October. It has been known to be somewhat variable in the past, but is now reaching a modern all-time low of +1.37 mag on January 6th. Currently this is the faintest the star has been during our 25+ years of continuous monitoring of it's brightness. Not long ago, Betelgeuse was the 10th brightest star in the sky. Now it is the 21st.

For now, astronomers think this is just a stronger than usual dimming. However, it is known that Betelgeuse is running out of fuel and entering the final phase of it's life, since such stars do not have a long life relative to more normal stars, such as our sun. Astronomers suspect Betelgeuse will go supernova relatively soon, although it could be another million years or so. It is thought that Betelgeuse will go into a dimming phase before it goes supernova, so it is something to keep an eye on for sure. When Betelgeuse does go supernova, it will be a spectacular sight, lighting up the night sky in a similar fashion to the full moon.
Not a Bot
AG
This is a really good video breakdown.

kb2001
AG
Scott Manley videos are excellent
Al Bula
AG
It's showtime

CrottyKid
AG
I wish I would be alive to see it happen. I have noticed Orion every night possible ever since my dad pointed it out to me over 30 years ago.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Astronomers are dumb. That star no longer exists...we're just seeing a million years into the past. C'mon people!!!!
Mr President Elect
AG
AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

Astronomers are dumb. That star no longer exists...we're just seeing a million years into the past. C'mon people!!!!

It's only about 642 ly away... but carry on.
V8Aggie
AG
willjohnathan said:

AGSPORTSFAN07 said:

It's only about 642 ly away... but carry on.
Yeah, but how many light minutes smart guy?
chipotle
Global warming! We didn't listen!
Global Warming
chipotle said:

Global warming! We didn't listen!
This is just ridiculous. Please ban for outlandish personal attack.
labmansid
And it is getting dimmer still. However, there may be an important date in the saga coming up by the end of this month.

"The most recent measurements put the visual magnitude of Betelgeuse at about +1.66, the dimmest its been in our 25 years of photometry," says Edward Guinan of Villanova University. Answers might be forthcoming on Feb. 21st. Astronomers have long known that Betelgeuse is a variable star. It pulsates with several different periods, including a dominant (probable pulsation) period of P = 430 days."

"If Betelegeuse starts to bounce back on Feb. 21st, this whole episode might just be a deeper-than-average pulsation, and perhaps the supernova watch can be called off. However, notes Guinan, "even if the 430-day period is still working, this would indicate a minimum brightness near 0.9 mag--much brighter than the current value near 1.6 mag. So something very unusual is going on."
hph6203
AG
Can I DVR it?
labmansid
I'm sure if/when it happens, there will be multiple news outlets with footage. If you do DVR it, be sure to convert it to laserdisc.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MW03
AG
Stuff like this fascinates me. Whenever what is happening to Betelgeuse was actually happening, here are some things that were going on here...

The Ming Dynasty was 10 years old.

The Black Death had very recently killed about 40-50% of Europe/Eurasia.

This was "modern art". The Italian Renaissance was still some 40-50 years away.

Richard II was king of England, which was in the middle of the 100 years war with France. 120 years later, Shakespeare would write a play about his life.

And, incredibly, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, whose construction had begun 200 years earlier in 1173 and was already leaning pretty badly, was completed.

labmansid
I agree with you, it is fascinating to think about. When you look up in the sky, you are literally looking back in time.

Kind of along those same lines, this past fall a scientist came up with a neat video of the timeline of where the Earth was in the Milky Way relative to our current position when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. We don't usually think about where "we" were at various points in time. The night sky would have looked quite different then.

https://www.sciencealert.com/dinosaurs-roamed-the-earth-on-the-other-side-of-the-milky-way
labmansid
C@LAg said:

a fat alien walked in front of the star?
One theory is the possibility of a giant "starspot", the equivalent of our sun's sunspots, slowly crossing the star's disk.
labmansid
Well, it appears a supernova may not be imminent after all.

"Betelgeuse is brightening again. Researchers from Villanova University, who have been leading the study of Betelegeuse's unprecedented brightness decline, have confirmed that the star has reversed itself. The turnaround was actually predicted, and suggests the recent dimming was an unusually deep excursion of the star's natural 430-day periodicity."
spanky
AG
Sad trombone
spaceman
AG
So it was never going to supernova; it only had a corona virus!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.