Virtual Reality Systems

6,136 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Azariah
kevinmw55
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Who has a VR system and if so, what type? What are the pros and cons of the different systems and what would you recommend if you've done research into them? Thanks!
tamusc
AG
There's a number of options out there, but the two main systems I would recommend are the Oculus Quest ($399-$499 depending on storage) for the low-mid range VR setup and then the Valve Index ($1,000) at the high end. Nothing else really makes much sense to buy if you aren't already invested in a particular VR system.

If you have a dedicated playspace that you can set up your VR system and leave it, a decently powerful gaming PC (RTX 2070 or better), and the budget for it, then the Index is awesome. It pretty much ticks all the boxes for high end VR and is the overall best VR experience you can get.

If you don't meet the criteria for the Index, the Quest is the only other real option to consider currently. It offers pretty solid stand alone VR experiences since it's a completely self-contained system, BUT Oculus just added what they call Oculus Link support to the Quest. Oculus Link allows you to connect the Quest to a PC using a USB-C cable and use it like a Rift S, so it gives you the best of both worlds. Oculus Link even allows the Quest to work with Steam VR without any issues. Plus, the Quest uses inside out tracking, so you just have to take a minute or two to set up the boundry for a new play space. It can save at least five play spaces right now, so you won't have to set them up every time either. No need to install sensors or lighthouses whenever you want to move the system to a new space. The Rift S has similar tracking capabilities, but requires a separate PC at all times to run. Honestly it seems like Oculus has unofficially killed the Rift S and focused on the Quest for now with the Link functionality.

Personally, I just swapped out my Rift (CV1) for a Quest as I just don't have the space to dedicate to a fixed VR setup like the Index requires. The Quest provides a great experience on its own and is a better PC-connected VR system than the Rift now that I have a Link cable.

On a related note, I have an Oculus Rift (CV1), Touch controllers and a third camera that I'm looking to get rid of for fairly cheap if anyone is interested, lol.
Philip J Fry
AG
I decided to invest in the Index. My primary reason was that the index offers a refresh rate at 120 frames per second and the Quest at 60. I figured long term use of the Quests lower frame rate would cause eye strain.

I've had it about a month and can't stop talking about how awesome it is. Setup really isn't that hard either. Basically consists of 2 base stations that you need to mount to the corners of the room diagonally from each other. You set your play space through the software. Takes maybe 5 minutes.
kevinmw55
Thanks for the info thus far. What about the HTC Vive and Vive Pro? They seem to be rated well by some YouTube videos I've seen.
tamusc
AG
kevinmw55 said:

Thanks for the info thus far. What about the HTC Vive and Vive Pro? They seem to be rated well by some YouTube videos I've seen.

The Vive is a first gen headset, like the Oculus Rift (CV1) I just replaced. The Vive Pro is just a slightly upgraded Vive with slightly better resolution and a more comfortable head strap, but it's still essentially a first gen device. The Index is actually compatible with all the Vive accessories and ecosystem as they use the same tracking system. The Index is a significantly better headset than either the Vive or Vive Pro. The Index controllers are significantly better than the Vive controllers and allow for improved finger tracking compared to the Vive controllers.

The new Vive Cosmos system is terrible as it switched to a different inside out tracking system like the Rift S and Quest which on its own isn't a bad decision as it allows for much easier set up, but is a worse system than either of those while also costing $200-$300 more than either. It also means it's not compatible with all the Vive accessories.

Unless you can get a complete Vive system either on a crazy sale or used (sub $300), you're better off going with the Quest at that price range.

The Vive Pro costs the same as the Index, so it makes zero sense now. At this price range (~$1000 for the system), it's the Index and nothing else is close.

Philip J Fry
AG
Really comes down to what you're looking for and what kind of $$$ you want to spend. The Index is 1K, but you still have to factor in the PC cost.,.which mine ran close to $2200 and I built it myself. This gives you the bleeding edge of what's available right now. Or you could spend 400 on a Quest to see if VR tickles your fancy.

A GeForce 2070 is really the bare minimum with the Index. Add in an Intel i7/i9 processor, ddr4 ram, and NVME SSD, you start talking real money.

You should look for a local VR arcade and give it a test spin before you go all in.

tamusc
AG
Philip J Fry said:

I decided to invest in the Index. My primary reason was that the index offers a refresh rate at 120 frames per second and the Quest at 60. I figured long term use of the Quests lower frame rate would cause eye strain.

I've had it about a month and can't stop talking about how awesome it is. Setup really isn't that hard either. Basically consists of 2 base stations that you need to mount to the corners of the room diagonally from each other. You set your play space through the software. Takes maybe 5 minutes.
The refresh rate of the Quest is 72 Hz, not 60. The Quest is also uses OLED panels rather than LCD panels like the Rift S or Index, so the lower persistence of the OLED pixels helps as well. That's enough top keep it atop the mid range VR options, but it is a noticeable step down if you're going to that from an Index (which costs more than double).

The Index is definitely the best consumer VR experience on the market right now thanks to the much higher refresh rate and awesome Knuckles controllers. The big things are still that it's essentially a system that needs a dedicated play space and you need a pretty high end gaming PC ($1500+ PC with RTX 2070 Super, though really a RTX 2080 or 2080 Ti), to actually be able to push enough frames to take advantage of the high refresh rate and higher resolution. I also did use a Vive pretty extensively, so I'm pretty familiar with setting the system up, and it doesn't take five minutes to set it up in a way that would be wife approved. For that, it takes an extensive amount of cable management and installing hardware on the walls.

If I had a decent sized play space I could set up the Index in and leave it, I'd go that direction in a heartbeat. Heck, I was still going to try to make the Index work until Oculus released the Link functionality for the Quest. I went with the Quest due to the flexibility of it being a stand alone, truly portable solution, while also providing a solid improvement for PC connected VR over the Rift and Vive thanks to Oculus Link.
tamusc
AG
Philip J Fry said:

Really comes down to what you're looking for and what kind of $$$ you want to spend. The Index is 1K, but you still have to factor in the PC cost.,.which mine ran close to $2200 and I built it myself. This gives you the bleeding edge of what's available right now. Or you could spend 400 on a Quest to see if VE tickles your fancy.

A GeForce 2070 is really the bare minimum with the Index. Add in an Intel i7/i9 processor, ddr4 ram, and NVME SSD, you start talking real money.

You should look for a local VR arcade and give it a test spin before you go all in.

Agreed with all of this.

I already had a more than adequate gaming PC I built myself (i9 7900X and 2080 Ti), but again it was the play space issue for me. That nice thing about the Quest is that my Razer Blade 15 laptop (with a RTX 2070 Max-Q) is more than enough to max out everything on the Quest while using Link, so I have a truly portable setup either way.
Philip J Fry
AG
Ah. I must have been thinking of the Vive with the 60Hz comment. Guess I'll mention that the Index is capable of 144 with the right gaming rig and game.

Does the OP wear glasses? One thing with the index is that you really have to be careful with how close you allow the lens to get to your glasses as they scratch easily. Another selling point for the Index is field of view, but a suggest not taking that into account when you make your decision since you'll sacrifice that to prevent rubbing on your glasses.
tamusc
AG
Oh I'm aware the Index can go up to 144Hz when you enable the experimental modes. Like I said, I'd have gone that direction if I had the space right now. I do plan on setting up a dedicated game room with a VR play space after my wife and I buy a house in the next year.

Regarding glasses, there are prescription lenses that snap on top of the existing lenses available for both the Index and Quest. One thing I've seen people who wear glasses recommend if you're going to wear glasses is to get some of those lenses, but without a prescription as they will protect the systems lenses from being scratched by the glasses. I think the lenses without prescriptions run about $30. I don't wear glasses, but I'm tempted to get some of them just to protect my Quest lenses.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/
Proposition Joe
Don't mess with the Vive Pro... Either go Oculus Quest (lower end, but incredibly convenient to use), Valve Index (high end), or grab a first-generation Vive but only if you can get it used for cheap.

I've still got a Vive setup, and while I want to make the jump to Index I just can't pull the trigger until they come out with a wireless solution. The increase in fidelity from Vive -> Index in my opinion gets offset by the immersion decrease by going back to a tethered setup.

Once a wireless solution comes out for Index, i will likely make the upgrade within 24 hours.
Proposition Joe
(and it looks like tamusc basically said all of that).
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
kevinmw55 said:

Who has a VR system and if so, what type? What are the pros and cons of the different systems and what would you recommend if you've done research into them? Thanks!
I do really like my PS4Pro with a PSVR headset, but the 720p can feel lacking after seeing the PS4 pushing 1080p on a large flatscreen.
New PS5 should be out in a year and I suspect an upgraded PSVR 1080p with it.
I have no experience with PC VR sets.
txam92
AG
I just upgraded my system so I could get an Index. What games do you like the best on the Valve Index?
Proposition Joe
SuperHot
Budget Cuts
Duck Season (won't necessarily take advantage of the hardware, but I loved the immersion)
Philip J Fry
AG
Beat Saber with mods
Thrill of the Fight
Super hot
Drunken Bar Fight
agdoc2001
AG
Played Acron over the holiday. 1 person in VR vs up to 4 playing on their cell phones. Pretty good time.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tamusc
AG
Beat Saber
Budget Cuts
Boneworks
Superhot
Arizona Sunshine
Gorn
Space Pirate Trainer
Drunken Bar Fight
Job Simulator
Red Matter
Pistol Whip
Blade and Sorcery

Oculus exclusives that you should be able to play using Revive:
Journey of the Gods
Asgard's Wrath
Stormland
Vader Immortal
Path of the Warrior

https://www.roadtovr.com/stormland-revive-index-vive-wmr-windows-vr/amp/

txam92
AG
Thanks for the game recommendations guys.
tfunk02
AG
If you are a Rick and Morty fan, Trover Saves the Universe is a funny and fun game. I've been playing it on a Valve Index. I've really enjoyed my time with the Index so far. Running it on a 1080TI with a Intel 8700K.
tamusc
AG
tfunk02 said:

If you are a Rick and Morty fan, Trover Saves the Universe is a funny and fun game. I've been playing it on a Valve Index. I've really enjoyed my time with the Index so far. Running it on a 1080TI with a Intel 8700K.

Have you played the actual Rick and Morty VR game? Been wondering about that one for a bit.
Proposition Joe
Going to finally sit down this weekend and try out Alien Isolation... Supposed to be great... But terrifying.

And considering the dog on Duck Season had me jumping out of fright, I'm not sure I'll be able to take it.
tamusc
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Going to finally sit down this weekend and try out Alien Isolation... Supposed to be great... But terrifying.

And considering the dog on Duck Season had me jumping out of fright, I'm not sure I'll be able to take it.

That game is a big bag of nope for me, lol.

tfunk02
AG
tamusc said:

tfunk02 said:

Have you played the actual Rick and Morty VR game? Been wondering about that one for a bit.
Yes, it was my first VR game. It is SUPER short, but it is a hell of a lot of fun. You really feel like you are in the show, and will laugh your butt off. It's a basic puzzle game though. Nothing special to the game play.

Average play through of the main story is just under 2 hours.
https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=45292
tamusc
AG
Thanks! I'll pick it up next times it's on sale then.
kevinmw55
Looking at the list of upcoming games it looks like a lot of the big titles are going to be for the Oculus. Based on prior posts on this thread it sounds like the best system is the Valve Index. Are those games going to be compatible the Index?
tamusc
AG
Most Oculus exclusives can still be played on other VR headsets like the Vive and Index using ReVive.

kevinmw55
You said "most of the Oculus exclusives," how are you to know which games are able to be played with Revive and which aren't?
tamusc
AG
There's a community compiled list on the Revive Github page. All the big exclusives work, though not always right when they're launched as Revive might have to be patched to work with them. The good news with the Index versus the Vive is that the Knuckles controllers with the Index work pretty much one to one with the Oculus Touch controllers.

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/wiki/Compatibility-list
tamusc
AG
So I made a mistake. I finally convinced my wife to try the Quest yesterday and now she's addicted to Beat Saber.

I might be buying a second Quest, lol.
kevinmw55
How much of a dedicated space is required for the Index?
tamusc
AG
kevinmw55 said:

How much of a dedicated space is required for the Index?

The minimum is about 6.5ft x 5ft. I'd recommended a little bit larger though, maybe 7ft x 7ft at a minimum. Basically you want it to be a few feet larger than your wingspan in any direction, plus extra room to move around.
aggieforester05
AG
I have an Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, and PSVR. I bought the rift first and use it for flight and racing sims. It's incredible, but yes the wires and sensors are limiting. I bought the go about a year later. It's great for showing off VR to friends/family, but where it really shines is movie watching. It's very comfortable and laying in bed while watching Netflix on the go In travel mode is about the most relaxed I get outside of sleeping. The PSVR has only been used a handful of times and the SDE is worse than the others. I just picked up Gran Turismo, so hopefully I'll put it to use again soon. Overall VR is incredible and certainly the way of the future, especially for sims. For those concerned about SDE don't be, it's really not a big negative if you aren't actively looking for it. It's certainly not enough to pass up the experience of VR right now.
jr15aggie
AG
The Quest is my first dive into modern VR. Completely blown away by the immersion. It feels so real, even with the dated graphics. Not having to be tied down to a PC is the key factor for me.

I'm already looking forward to the next gen Quest. Crank up the graphics capability and keep improving the optics to reduce the "screen door" and it's going to be quite something.

Overall, modern VR is amazing. Complete game changer. Been a long time since I've been this floored by new tech. I hope more and more gamers start seeing what the fuss is about. You can't describe it, you just have to experience it.
aggieforester05
AG
jr15aggie said:

The Quest is my first dive into modern VR. Completely blown away by the immersion. It feels so real, even with the dated graphics. Not having to be tied down to a PC is the key factor for me.

I'm already looking forward to the next gen Quest. Crank up the graphics capability and keep improving the optics to reduce the "screen door" and it's going to be quite something.

Overall, modern VR is amazing. Complete game changer. Been a long time since I've been this floored by new tech. I hope more and more gamers start seeing what the fuss is about. You can't describe it, you just have to experience it.
Well said, it really is a game changer. I can't wait to see what the future holds with improvements in image quality.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.