Network issues with new Spectrum install.

7,029 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by eric76
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Switched from At&t to Spectrum.

I had my At&t router set to pass thru to my Netgear router then to a switch in the media closet. I have 2 magic jack VOIP adapters connected to two ports on my Netgear router.

Never any network issues on my end.

Spectrum installs their modem and plugs in my router. I'm able connect via WiFi for about 5 minutes on my phone.

As I go around to different TV's they are connected to the wifi but no internet.

Call Spectrum back out they call their off site support and say their box is good. I change the Ethernet cable between modem and router just in case... Still no internet.

They say it's my router and leave.

I go to my hardwired PC to log into the router and see if I can reset something.

I get 192.168.1.1 is unreachable...

I plug my laptop directly into the back of the modem and can't connect to the internet.

My question is... If their box worked or doesn't why can't I connect to the router to log in from a pc plugged in with an Ethernet cable?

And does anyone have any suggestions besides rebooting the power to the boxes?
flown-the-coop
AG
Is 192.168.1.1 the router IP address - usually same as default gateway? Recently moved and had FiOS gig service installed. Started beating my head to get to router page so I could configure the WiFi to my own name and password. Guess what, their default router login page on the new router is 192.168.254.254, of course, printed beautifully on the sticker on the router.

It could also be Spectrum is using a different default gateway address or network ID? And which device is assigning IP addresses (DHCP)?

It is possible the ATT router/modem was a standard 192.168.1.1 and your Netgear was defaulted or set to 10.0.0.1 so as not conflict to the ATT device. If the new Spectrum modem is set to same default gateway as your Netgear router, you could be getting some weird scenarios.

Also check the WiFi channels between the Spectrum and Netgear devices. Could also cause issues.

I would start by turning off and unplugging Netgear and switch. Connect directly to Spectrum via either WiFi or ethernet and see if you can get to Internet. If it works, then Spectrum is right and its network config on your end. From there you are looking for conflicting settings causing downstream issues.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Do you have a network scanning tool?
eric76
AG
I assume that you have a computer with Windows on it. Make sure it uses DHCP to configure the network and then open up a command prompt and type in

ipconfig

Look for the ip address, subnet mask, and gateway.

Do this when plugged into the router AND when plugged into the spectrum device.

Post the results here.

When you say:
Quote:

I had my At&t router set to pass thru to my Netgear router then to a switch in the media closet. I have 2 magic jack VOIP adapters connected to two ports on my Netgear router.
are these set up as routers or as bridges?

Consider this possibility:
1) The AT&T router's LAN address was 192.168.0.0 with netmask 255.255.255.0
2) The Netgear router's LAN address was 192.168.1.0 with netmask 255.255.255.0

Then the NAT on the netgear device woud go from 192.168.1/24 to 192.168.0/24.

Then
3) The Spectrum device has LAN address 192.168.1.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0

Now, the Netgear device would have a NAT with 192.168.1/24 on each side. That can't work. You need different networks on each side of the device. If this happens, change the Netgear device to use a different network.

For the LAN, you can use anything in 10/8 (10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255) , 172.16/12 (172.16.0.0 to 172.31.0.0), or 192.168/16 (192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255). It is generally best to use a /24 (255.255.255.0 for the netmask) and either 1 or 254 for the fourth octet of the IP address.

My usual setup for something like this is to use 192.168.100.1 with netmask 255.255.255.0 for the first router so that anything likely to be used by the second router won't result in inadvertently using the same network on each side of the router.

I can't wait for IPv4 to disappear. There is no reason to use NAT at all with IPv6, but some people try anyway.
FatZilla
AG
My Netgear is Routerlogin.net so I would check the router sticker as some suggested. 192.168.1.1 is not being used by a lot of makers today.

Second, definitely check the passthrough settings. Your router will give connections even without internet and it sounds like that is happening. When no internet is detected by the connected devices, sometime they will drop the connection or restrict it as well.

PooDoo
AG
Ok, thanks for all the replies... I had to switch back over to my AT&T modem until the wife and kid went back to school and give the wifi a break.

I have the Spectrum modem... I can plug in my laptop straight into the modem and connect to the internet.

Laptop via Ethernet to Spectrum Modem:
IP 76.85.4.30
Sub 255.255.192.0
Gateway 76.85.0.1

WiFi
No internet connection

If I don't reboot, I'm able to plug in the laptop to the Netgear router.

My office PC that is hardwired to the router via a switch has an:
IP 169.254.90.3
Sub 255.255.0.0
The Gateway was a crazy IPv6 number but I already tried to ipconfig /release & /renew then enter an IP, subnet, and Gateway manually to see it it would connect.

All of my PC's are set to automatically obtain their IP addresses so I'm guessing something is going on with the router... Netgear Nighthawk p7000 (thanks Netgear friends and family)

I don't want to have to reset the router and have to re-forward all my ports but if I must I must.

Let me know if I left anything out.
TAMU-93
AG
It sounds like DHCP is turned off on your Netgear router.

Plug the Spectrum modem into the WAN port on your Netgear router. Plug your laptop into one of the LAN ports on your Netgear router. Make sure nothing else is plugged into the router for now. Assign your laptop this static IP address: IP Address - 192.168.1.2, Gateway Address - 192.168.1.1 and Subnet Address - 255.255.255.0. Now try connecting to the Netgear router at 192.168.1.1. If that works, find and enable DHCP on the Netgear router. Switch your laptop back to DHCP.
eric76
AG
PooDoo said:

Ok, thanks for all the replies... I had to switch back over to my AT&T modem until the wife and kid went back to school and give the wifi a break.

I have the Spectrum modem... I can plug in my laptop straight into the modem and connect to the internet.

Laptop via Ethernet to Spectrum Modem:
IP 76.85.4.30
Sub 255.255.192.0
Gateway 76.85.0.1

WiFi
No internet connection

If I don't reboot, I'm able to plug in the laptop to the Netgear router.

My office PC that is hardwired to the router via a switch has an:
IP 169.254.90.3
Sub 255.255.0.0
The Gateway was a crazy IPv6 number but I already tried to ipconfig /release & /renew then enter an IP, subnet, and Gateway manually to see it it would connect.

All of my PC's are set to automatically obtain their IP addresses so I'm guessing something is going on with the router... Netgear Nighthawk p7000 (thanks Netgear friends and family)

I don't want to have to reset the router and have to re-forward all my ports but if I must I must.

Let me know if I left anything out.

What TAMU-93 said.

A 169.254/16 address simply means that the computer isn't getting an address assigned to it. When you see that, you need to make sure that it is actually connected and that DHCP is set up to assign an IP address. Since you aren't getting anything from any device, it is most likely that the DHCP is turned off.

The good news is that the 76.85.4.30/18 address is in a /18 block of the routable 76.80/12 block assigned to Charter Communications. So whatever address the router DHCP is set to assign should not interfere with anything.
PooDoo
AG
That did the trick...

Thanks fellas, I really appreciate yall helping with this.
eric76
AG
One thing to remember is that with the firewall exposed to the Internet, it is important to regularly check for firmware updates and install them when available. Firewalls can only help protect your network only if those trying to break into your networks cannot break into the firewall -- if they can break into the firewall, everything behind it is often easy pickings.

There have been a number of cases where firewalls had fixed passwords in the firmware. In many cases, it was so that the people at the company that made them could log into it to check it out without knowing your password. In some cases, the passwords were inserted into the firmware by people who had broken into the firewall company's networks.

One thing that can help is to turn off management access from the WAN side.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.