Home Security Camera systems

1,938 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Nealthedestroyer
TxFig
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First, I would think this topic is common enough that it should be a sticky for this group...

Second, I am interested in setting up a home security system ...
  • the recordings need to be kept ON SITE, not 'in the cloud'.
  • recordings need to cover at least a 1 week period. 2 weeks would be better.
  • most of the cameras can be set to only record when motion is detected (no need for blank/empty time)
  • I have no need to look at a live shot of a camera on my phone - ever.
  • at least 4 cameras, up to 7
  • all of the cameras will be outside, so weather proofing & nighttime recording are essential.
  • most of the cameras can be wired (using power-over-ethernet), at least 1 will need to use my home wifi.
  • At least 1 of the cameras needs to be able to identify a license plate from 75' away.
  • All of the cameras need to have a high enough resolution that we know *exactly* what we are looking at. I have no interest in cameras where I can't identify a face.

Suggestions/Advice?
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
Madmarttigan
AG
That kind of sounds like a custom system someone would have to set up. Most of us low level nerds use nest, arlo, and ring cameras which don't meet your criteria.
Jethro95
AG
Sounds like you need some generic IP cameras, a big POE switch and a Blue Iris server. You can get cheap chinese NVRs but the interface is horrible. You can spec out each camera for your needs. When I first started putting my system together I got one camera and set it up to see how it worked and went from there. Given that you don't want any remote access, I would put the cameras and server on their own network or VLAN.
gibby03
AG
I have no idea how to help you. BUT, I do want to know what your watching. Lol. You have me curious with your requirements. Good Luck though!!!
Aggietaco
AG
Go do some reading on the home security forums, I'm sure you'll be able to find reviews for the separate components you'll need. Trickiest part will probably be tying the wireless camera back into the rest of your system. Blue Iris is generally recommended for management and Hikvision make some of the better cameras.
An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

At least 1 of the cameras needs to be able to identify a license plate from 75' away.

If this is a requirement for night vision then your options are pretty limited and certainly rules out most, if not all, of the typical home security cameras available. Best bet might be to look at small business offerings.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-dvr-security-system/security-surveillance-camera-system-with-4-cameras-4-channel-dvr/LX1080-44BW-1-p?kbid=111697
aggieforester05
AG
Life will be much easier if your cameras are the same brand as your nvr. Right now I like Transcendent because they have much better customer service than the other manufacturers I've dealt with. You're not going to get movie like image quality with any camera (even "4K 8mp") and faces or license plates will be hard to make out from any further than 20-30 feet away.
htxag09
AG
Quote:

• At least 1 of the cameras needs to be able to identify a license plate from 75' away.
  • All of the cameras need to have a high enough resolution that we know *exactly* what we are looking at. I have no interest in cameras where I can't identify a face.

As posted above, this is going to seriously limit your options and seriously drive up the price. Especially if you're needing it at night and in the day.

Your best option is probably talk to local companies/installers. This is beyond the realm of most DIY camera kits, even the advertised 1080/4k cameras can't recognize a license plate from 25' away, let alone 75'. Maybe if the car is parked and in perfect view, no angle, and in the middle of the day.
planoaggie123
AG
This has to be one of the most intense home security setups ever.

Curious...why would you want such an advanced system yet not want the ability to look from your phone? Seems like you have some level of concern re: your home/property so would want to be able to monitor?
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Fellas,

I've recently been dealing with a few nighttime burglaries on some industrial buildings I have. These 'gentlemen' usually cut the perimeter barbed-wire fencing, walk on the property, cut off the padlocks, enter the buildings, and then take relatively small hand carryable things like cordless tools and the like.

There are no guns or flat screens or nice electronics or computers or $$$ on the site, at all. These aren't jewel thieves, but probably are meth heads.

I suspect that if I beef-up the padlocks to make them more cut resistant, they'll just take a crowbar to the corrugated iron walls of the building and create a lot of repair work for me.

Finally, my questions --

1. Given that nighttime thieves seems to wear black clothing with hoodies (one was left on the premises at the last break-in), are they really deterred by knowing they're on camera? I've seen pro security videos taken from convenience store robberies where you can plainly see the guy's face, but you can't tell enough to really identify him.

2. FWIW, the police response time in my area for burglaries is about 45 minutes, so I'm not sure 'monitoring' is going to help me that much. But, let's say I do get a 'clear' picture of this guy. Does law enforcement have a good track record of actually matching the picture to a burglary suspect and making an arrest?

For the time being, I'm looking at enhanced lighting (which might make it easier for them LOL) and perhaps a high-end motion detector with a security siren and strobe. If they're dumb enough, they might think the cops are on the way post-haste and split.

Any and all thoughts and advice is much appreciated. Thanks.
flown-the-coop
AG
I would go with a more inspector gadget approach to capturing their faces. Have something that initiates via close in motion - like a trip wire.

They hit trip wire, loud bang plays, maybe even a "stop right there ahole" along with a cutout of a security guard popping out. At the moment this happens, you hit them with a spotlight and a camera set to burst mode.

So you scare them, make them look a certain direction, then snap headshots worthy of a portfolio book.

For the license plate read, just steal a toll booth camera. Make sure you have it set to always take the picture when the car goes by.
OldArmyBrent
AG
flown-the-coop said:

I would go with a more inspector gadget approach to capturing their faces. Have something that initiates via close in motion - like a trip wire.

They hit trip wire, loud bang plays, maybe even a "stop right there ahole" along with a cutout of a security guard popping out. At the moment this happens, you hit them with a spotlight and a camera set to burst mode.

So you scare them, make them look a certain direction, then snap headshots worthy of a portfolio book.

For the license plate read, just steal a toll booth camera. Make sure you have it set to always take the picture when the car goes by.

Fart spray and dye packs controlled by an Arduino on the trip wire should be added to this setup.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
What about a biting ass dog and dont feed him for a couple days..

On a serious note maybe a set of loud sirens set to trip when the door opens? Idk.
Vae Victis
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.