anyone video for club volleyball?

20,267 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lb3
Jack Pearson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone in Dallas this weekend?
flintdragon
AG
classof2019 said:

I will be! Err I assume you are referring to the ToT qualifier...
Jack Pearson
AG
flintdragon said:

classof2019 said:

I will be! Err I assume you are referring to the ToT qualifier...

yes I was....I didnt see this until today or I would have reached out. I walked around at one point and saw some of the same setups, I bet we crossed paths and didnt even know it. What age group is your daughter? Mine was in the 15 year old division.

I have been using my sons old iphone 7 to film with the light stand and the power hand grip...it has worked perfect so far.

I wanted to mention if anyone was looking for an old iphone to use, my mother upgraded over christmas and has a iphone 6s plus that would also work well for these events that she wants to sell. Its elderly owned and is a unlocked verizon model if you did want to use it for cellular service. It is 64GB so has plenty of space to record.
Already has a otter box case as well.
flintdragon
AG
haha, yeah I was walking around to see of anyone else had the same setup. My girl is in 16s. They did well but faced the top team in the final game who had a Kathryn Plummer look alike and play alike. LOL.

There was a ton of space so was able to back up a lot to get the entire court but this won't do in future tournaments because of two things:
1. not every tournament will have this much ample space
2. I can't compete with gopros which have much wider field of view so they can place their stand very close to the court. I didn't mind too much having their stands in my video but I think it was causing some focusing issues.

I went ahead and bought a iographer and wide angle lens since I will be competing with these other stands the rest of the season.
Jack Pearson
AG
flintdragon said:

haha, yeah I was walking around to see of anyone else had the same setup. My girl is in 16s. They did well but faced the top team in the final game who had a Kathryn Plummer look alike and play alike. LOL.

There was a ton of space so was able to back up a lot to get the entire court but this won't do in future tournaments because of two things:
1. not every tournament will have this much ample space
2. I can't compete with gopros which have much wider field of view so they can place their stand very close to the court. I didn't mind too much having their stands in my video but I think it was causing some focusing issues.

I went ahead and bought a iographer and wide angle lens since I will be competing with these other stands the rest of the season.
There was a ton of space...that is the most space Ive ever had a convention center setting. Really strange that it was a small tourney.

So you guys still qualified then right if you finished in second?

We got hosed being put with the top team in the tournament in our pool and hardest pool overall. My daughter is only 13 (true playing age is 14 but wont turn 14 till May) playing up with 15s..She and another 8th grader were on a tour club last year so we knew what to expect but our new club is having to fight its way up the rankings based on last years poor results being a new club..which causes us to be ranked low which puts us in the best overall pool. The TAV team that was in our pool won the tourney. Oh well its all good experience for my daughter playing with the bigger older girls but still frustrating to have the team have to fight its way uphill...hopefully as the new rankings come out we will keep moving up to stay out of having to face the top teams so early.

Which iographer and wide angle lens did you buy? I will have to look into that as well especially be the time orlando and Lone Star Classic roll around when its packed.

flintdragon
AG
The tour of texas isn't as good as maybe 3 years ago. With the college recruiting changes, D1 schools can't watch these games so many top clubs are slowly opting to find other tournaments. There is still a good amount but, along with recent changes to qualifying, it's much easier to get in.

Our team did not qualify. Only 3 bids, one in each qualifying bracket on Sunday. You have to win out on Sunday which we did not. We played Muscle which broke off of Texas Pistols and half their team were on a very good pistols team last year. They had to play their way back into the Tour.

The qualifier in SA two weekends ago had 9 bids but we failed to qualify too, screwing up the last game. Happy we are very competitive (even against Muscle) but disappointed that we were just a point here and there from qualifying.

I understand exactly how you feel. My younger daughter has a really late birthday and is small in general. It's been tough for her in 13s. Hoping for a growth spurt so she can get on a competitive team like the older. Her current team though is turning out better than expected and was one win away from qualifying as well.

Anyway, I can talk club vball all day... LOL

Lens:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGJW8CM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

iographer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4Q9L68/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jack Pearson
AG
So colleges used to be able to attend these events and now cant? I I guess that makes sense. Last year my daughter was in the 13s division where the mad frogs, dallas skyline and tav black were all the top teams...seems like the met each other probably 5 times over the course of the season so i assumed mad frogs opted out of the tour because they were tired of playing the same teams over and over...when maybe it was just recruiting angle you mentioned.

I'm with you I enjoy talking it, its really fun to watch.

Thanks for the links I will have to check em out.

I'm sure we will cross paths again on down the road as the season progresses.
flintdragon
AG
classof2019 said:

So colleges used to be able to attend these events and now cant?

I think the rules changes 2 years ago. Other divisions can so it's a decent tournament for 2nd teams since those players tend to not go D1. The qualifiers and Stop 2 are all within the quiet period.
Jack Pearson
AG
I did see Angelo State there saturday now that you say that.
Jack Pearson
AG
Anyone going to orlando next weekend?

The question I have now, is can I carry on this tripod? I never did buy the smaller one.....I am flying southwest so I guess I can check it but what would be best way to pack it to avoid damage?
AB2
AG
Lots of scouts at Tour of Texas Finals this weekend...but probably since the 18s LSR was there at the same time. The crowds around the 14s semi-finals and finals games were stupid...especially for girls who can't "be recruited" yet.
Jack Pearson
AG
Who was in the 14s finals and semis? Just guesing Tornado's, TAV black, Skyline royal and Alamo?
AB2
AG
Replace Alamo with HJV.
Jack Pearson
AG
Ah thats right...the stud 6"3 left handed setter/hitter from Alamo last year moved up to their 15s team as a 14.
AB2
AG
That girl is freakish. The OH from TAV is completely ridiculous. Amazing how you can completely identify high D1 players in 8th grade.

Where do your kids play?
Jack Pearson
AG
Is the hitter your are talking about for TAV the girl that came over from skyline? She was really good....as was that mad frogs team. I sent you a PM with more personal details.
LSB_2002
AG
Looking to finally get a recording set up for this season.

What are you guys still using/not using? I need some help here! Newbie when it comes to recording this stuff. Daughter has been wanting me to get something going for her to mess with highlights, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
flintdragon
AG
old thread resurrected! I'm still here too though my oldest is now in college but I do still have a younger kid doing club still.

The setup I've been using has served me well.

Light stand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NZ2L9V
This one is very compact. You won't be the tallest but you also won't be hauling the giant heavy light stand some people use. Regular camera tripods didn't meet my needs either. This one got beat up over the years but I shot 3 clubs seasons with this all over the country as well as varsity ball. Fits in a medium size carry-on if you fly.

Battery grip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL37CGK
Attach this on top of the light stand and it will keep your device charged all day assuming you are recording 3-5 matches.

Ball head tripod mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GQLJKZ
Attach to top of battery grip. You can angle the camera as need.

iographer case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4Q9L68
Buy the case that fits whatever you will be using.

Wide angle lens: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGJW8CM
Attaches to the iographer case. You'll need this if you want to capture the entire court depending on the venue.

iPod Touch - cheap and smallest and lightest form factor. Since this will be going up on a stand, better than using a giant ipad like I've seen others use.

iPad mini - this controls the ipod touch

software - ScoreCam

Your recording device (ipod in my case) on the tripod runs the full ScoreCam app. The control device (ipad for me) runs the scorecam remote app. Once connected, you will control everything remotely.

What you can do:
1. you can remotely see a preview of what the camera is pointing at. Useful since it is hard to see if the video is framed correctly up on a tripod
2. you can set up a live scoreboard and even live stream it to FB/youtube/etc though wifi and cell service is kind of meh at these venues
3. control the start and pause of each point. When the ref blows the whistle to serve, you start recording. When the play ends, you give the point to the team that won it and the recording pauses, ready for the next whistle to start play. This means your video will be of a full game with all dead time already edited out. An awesome feature is that it actually waits 2-3 seconds after you stop the play before actually pausing. This helps with the pacing of the video when you are watching it later for fun. Otherwise, the pacing is frantic. Zero work on your part to edit the video later. I share this video with the team/coach.
4. when your kid makes a good play, after the point is award, you hit the highlight button and a clip of just that point is saved off separately. This saves you so much time since you mentioned you wanted to make highlight reels.

I might have missed something so ask questions. This worked for me really well.
LSB_2002
AG
flintdragon said:

old thread resurrected! I'm still here too though my oldest is now in college but I do still have a younger kid doing club still.

The setup I've been using has served me well.

Light stand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NZ2L9V
This one is very compact. You won't be the tallest but you also won't be hauling the giant heavy light stand some people use. Regular camera tripods didn't meet my needs either. This one got beat up over the years but I shot 3 clubs seasons with this all over the country as well as varsity ball. Fits in a medium size carry-on if you fly.

Battery grip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FL37CGK
Attach this on top of the light stand and it will keep your device charged all day assuming you are recording 3-5 matches.

Ball head tripod mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071GQLJKZ
Attach to top of battery grip. You can angle the camera as need.

iographer case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4Q9L68
Buy the case that fits whatever you will be using.

Wide angle lens: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGJW8CM
Attaches to the iographer case. You'll need this if you want to capture the entire court depending on the venue.

iPod Touch - cheap and smallest and lightest form factor. Since this will be going up on a stand, better than using a giant ipad like I've seen others use.

iPad mini - this controls the ipod touch

software - ScoreCam

Your recording device (ipod in my case) on the tripod runs the full ScoreCam app. The control device (ipad for me) runs the scorecam remote app. Once connected, you will control everything remotely.

What you can do:
1. you can remotely see a preview of what the camera is pointing at. Useful since it is hard to see if the video is framed correctly up on a tripod
2. you can set up a live scoreboard and even live stream it to FB/youtube/etc though wifi and cell service is kind of meh at these venues
3. control the start and pause of each point. When the ref blows the whistle to serve, you start recording. When the play ends, you give the point to the team that won it and the recording pauses, ready for the next whistle to start play. This means your video will be of a full game with all dead time already edited out. An awesome feature is that it actually waits 2-3 seconds after you stop the play before actually pausing. This helps with the pacing of the video when you are watching it later for fun. Otherwise, the pacing is frantic. Zero work on your part to edit the video later. I share this video with the team/coach.
4. when your kid makes a good play, after the point is award, you hit the highlight button and a clip of just that point is saved off separately. This saves you so much time since you mentioned you wanted to make highlight reels.

I might have missed something so ask questions. This worked for me really well.
This is super helpful! I'm not tech savvy at all and your easy steps will allow the wifey and I the ability to get this done! I really appreciate the feedback! Club season starts this weekend for us. First Tournament!
flintdragon
AG
LSB_2002 said:

This is super helpful! I'm not tech savvy at all and your easy steps will allow the wifey and I the ability to get this done! I really appreciate the feedback! Club season starts this weekend for us. First Tournament!
I typed that up super late and didn't write up the thoughts and caveats with this setup.

1. This is a very manual way of recording. You technically could just set it up and hit record and then stop at the end of the game. But for me, that footage is useless because I was also interested in making highlight reels. I'm not going back through every game identifying which clips to pull out. But if you use my method, someone will have to sit there every point by point. Works for me but others may want to enjoy the game more than keeping score.

2. Hauling around a recording rig isn't very much fun plus all the setup and teardown. At this my rig is pretty compact.

3. Many people use gopros but like #1, editing is a pain in the butt. I first used gopro but all of that footage is wasted because of my lazy bum.

4. You want to set it up behind the baseline close to the midway point. I think this is the best angle to capture for highlights.

My youngest also starts this weekend here in Austin. She's not as competitive as my older so I've not yet decided if I want to record and just enjoy the show.
LSB_2002
AG
flintdragon said:

LSB_2002 said:

I typed that up super late and didn't write up the thoughts and caveats with this setup.

1. This is a very manual way of recording. You technically could just set it up and hit record and then stop at the end of the game. But for me, that footage is useless because I was also interested in making highlight reels. I'm not going back through every game identifying which clips to pull out. But if you use my method, someone will have to sit there every point by point. Works for me but others may want to enjoy the game more than keeping score.

2. Hauling around a recording rig isn't very much fun plus all the setup and teardown. At this my rig is pretty compact.

3. Many people use gopros but like #1, editing is a pain in the butt. I first used gopro but all of that footage is wasted because of my lazy bum.

4. You want to set it up behind the baseline close to the midway point. I think this is the best angle to capture for highlights.

My youngest also starts this weekend here in Austin. She's not as competitive as my older so I've not yet decided if I want to record and just enjoy the show.
Compact is/ease is what i'm looking for! This is very helpful. I had already downloaded the Scorecam app, but hadnt really played with it much. The highlights is really what we're looking for. So, the ease of that is helpful.
toughguy143
Hi everyone- I wanted to quickly subscribe and post a huge thank you to all of the contributors in this thread. I've been looking into recording rigs for volleyball and have become a bit overwhelmed. But I found the interaction on this thread to be super specific with information and very open to helping people new to volleyball video. So, since I got a lot out of your interaction, I wanted to thank you all and let you know that your time spent here is appreciated!!!
lb3
AG
I don t get it. If everyone is filming their kids and spending big bucks on their cameras, travel, club dues, tournament fees, etc, why don't the clubs or tournaments hire a few videographers?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.