anyone video for club volleyball?

20,275 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by lb3
Jack Pearson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I see all of these parents with these giant tripods and using iphones or ipads with wide angle lenses...figured I am missing something as I have been using a video camera...having to upload from memory card to computer, splice all the clips together as I stop between plays or sets atleast...then upload to youtube...takes a long time.

I have an old iphone 7plus I could use with I believe 128MB of memory I could use. My ipad does not have as much memory....

My question is....1) what kind of tripod do I need to use my iphone and do I need a wide angle attachment?

2)Is there a way to go "live" and while I record it have it automatically upload?

My is the best setup for recording and for loading for coaches to view?
DE4D
AG
I dont know. I do know that when people are using iPads they almost always pause between points. Probably saves a lot of time in edit.
Jack Pearson
AG
It does, I think they are using some kind of program that you can start/stop the recording via bluetooth from your phone. What that program is I dont know.
flintdragon
AG
I record club games and have done some research. I don't know how people use ipads and make it through season without losing said ipad. I have been using a gopro and it gets knocked over several times every season.

I use a gopro because it is small and sturdy. It is wider angle where most tournaments you have to place the camera fairly close to the action. Ipads need the wide angle. I think they use ezReels or scorecam apps. I'm really tempted to try it out this season because, like you said, the editing is absolutely painful if you don't like doing it and it just takes a lot of time. These apps may make it easier.

For tripod, I prefer to use a lightstand. Most will a shorter one but I've been using a 9-10ft lightstand to get a better angle. But that is with a gopro. I would probably go shorter if I use an ipad, maybe even a more traditional tripod.

ezReels looks like it can live stream but it is rare to be in a venue that has good wifi or good cell signal to achieve a good live stream.
Jack Pearson
AG
You know good idea...I have a go pro as well....hadnt even really thought about using it.....I guess you can stop and start it remotely as well?

What size memory card gets you through a weekend? I wasnt sure the gopro offered enough "zoom" but its fine from the back end lines?

Can you send me a link of the type of stand you use with it?
flintdragon
AG
I have a lot of issues with my gopro hero 7 black though. It will get so hot sometimes and shut down. sometimes it will just freeze. Also sometimes one battery isn't enough for one game. I had the remote for it too and have severe connectivity issues. Same with connectivity between gopro and android app. I think maybe the environment is really bad for gopro since there are a lot of other signals roaming around. It seems like other parents with older gopros have less issues though.

I use this cheap light stand for local/regional tournaments. Heavier but sturdier:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TM600U

When we have to fly to national tournaments, this one is light and folds pretty short to fit in my medium size carryon as well as can fit in my backpack's side pocket.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078NZ2L9V

As for memory card size, I don't really remember but I don't buy the very large ones. I usually bring two and swap out in the middle of the weekend.

I have to say though, I'm really really tempted to try ipad out for this. It just seems too much of a hassle but I'm not familiar with the apple ecosystem at all. It would be an expensive experiment.
Jack Pearson
AG
Thanks for the info.

Yeah I think so too, it must be easier using a iphone or ipad. I think 128GB would work good for the weekend.

What clubs does your daughters play for?

Another friend of mine said their high school team used something called twitchtv which live streamed the games and saved them at the same time...that is interesting as well.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I think this was discussed in detail here:

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2994586

foulbeast
AG
flintdragon said:

I record club games and have done some research. I don't know how people use ipads and make it through season without losing said ipad. I have been using a gopro and it gets knocked over several times every season.

I use a gopro because it is small and sturdy. It is wider angle where most tournaments you have to place the camera fairly close to the action. Ipads need the wide angle. I think they use ezReels or scorecam apps. I'm really tempted to try it out this season because, like you said, the editing is absolutely painful if you don't like doing it and it just takes a lot of time. These apps may make it easier.

For tripod, I prefer to use a lightstand. Most will a shorter one but I've been using a 9-10ft lightstand to get a better angle. But that is with a gopro. I would probably go shorter if I use an ipad, maybe even a more traditional tripod.

ezReels looks like it can live stream but it is rare to be in a venue that has good wifi or good cell signal to achieve a good live stream.
I use an iPod Touch instead of iPad. I highly recommend the Scorecam app for filming, and the Scorecam remote for control. This allows you to pause/resume the recording during the game so you don't film during timeouts, etc. And it saves the game in a single MP4, as opposed to the GoPro which creates a new file every time recording is stopped. It also does live streaming now via Youtube and others, but I've never used it since I don't use an iPhone or iPad with cell service to record.
flintdragon
AG
have you used ezReels?

I just found MVPCAST too which looks pretty neat. but is pricey.
Other people can tag and keep score on the same recording.
foulbeast
AG
flintdragon said:

have you used ezReels?

I haven't used ezReelz or MVPCAST. I just looked at them both and they look pretty slick. They both seem to have more features than Scorecam, but are both quite a bit more expensive to enable them. Wish they would have been around 5 years ago when i started doing video. Looks like MVPCAST has Android support too, so you aren't locked into Apple.
Jack Pearson
AG
I downloaded ezreelz and played with it...seems like it should be pretty good but I dont know anyone that has used it yet in action.
Jack Pearson
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

I think this was discussed in detail here:

https://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2994586

Thanks..I searched club volleyball and didnt get any hits so just now seeing that. Im not as interested in camera info as I am in best way to record and get loaded to youtube or some type of streaming live service that saves each game
Jack Pearson
AG
foulbeast said:

flintdragon said:

have you used ezReels?

I haven't used ezReelz or MVPCAST. I just looked at them both and they look pretty slick. They both seem to have more features than Scorecam, but are both quite a bit more expensive to enable them. Wish they would have been around 5 years ago when i started doing video. Looks like MVPCAST has Android support too, so you aren't locked into Apple.

foulbeast can you post a pic of your ipad mount, case and setup? Did you buy a wide angle lens to go onto the ipad?
foulbeast
AG
classof2019 said:

foulbeast said:

flintdragon said:

have you used ezReels?

foulbeast can you post a pic of your ipad mount, case and setup? Did you buy a wide angle lens to go onto the ipad?
I use an iPod Touch, not iPad. I've seen way to many iPad setups get destroyed to go that route... I don't use a wide angle lens (shopped for one for a long time but never found an option that i was confident wouldn't distort the edges of the video) -- so it is not great necessarily great for qualifiers when there is not a lot of room behind the baseline. I have a GoPro Hero 5 as a backup in those cases.

The iPod Touch is in a Unicorn Beetle case, although any decent case would work. It is mounted in a Wasabi Clutch USB battery handle that has the tripod screw hole on the bottom. And that mounts on a Cowboy Studios 9' light stand (have a 7' compact version for travel tournaments too).
Jack Pearson
AG
Ok thanks..so the Wasabi comes with a iphone or ipod mount with it? thats the part I was missing.....I have a old iphone 7 I think i am going to use instead of my ipad.

Can you post or send me a few videos taken with the ipod ?
Aggie Farmer
AG
If you want to broadcast live for free, check out Meridix.com. We use it for our high school audio broadcasts, and have used it for video. Can use your iPhone or iPad to broadcast. The App can be downloaded to either. You will just need a good WiFi signal for your phone. If you use the free option, there will be ads before and during the broadcast. It will also save an archived version to view later.

It may be more that what you want, but its a way grandparents, etc, can watch live.
foulbeast
AG
classof2019 said:

Ok thanks..so the Wasabi comes with a iphone or ipod mount with it? thats the part I was missing.....I have a old iphone 7 I think i am going to use instead of my ipad.

Can you post or send me a few videos taken with the ipod ?
iPhone 7 would work great IMHO. I have a 6th gen iPod Touch so the iPhone 7 camera is better.

Here is a Youtube link that I posted a while back on the other thread with a sample of the iPod Touch from GJNC in Detroit in 2018.

Jack Pearson
AG
Video looks really good, maybe I missed it but what app are you using to keep score?

Any are you using a remote to control recording?

edit I see you said scorecam app and remote..I will check that out.
flintdragon
AG
I want to use Scorecam or ezreelz but I don't have any apple products. I would be okay buying an ipod touch but would have nothing to control it. I'm not buying two! I don't feel like I want to stand behind the camera every match updating the score. It also means I would not be able to record at a high angle.

I've been looking into MVPCast which allows mixed android/apple devices. it has a lot of features but is costly and the most expensive. To have remote control, you have to have internet connection which then makes the camera broadcast live to cloud storage. That is going to eat up any data plan unless the venue has good wifi which is highly doubtful.

Scorecam is cheapest by far. Ezreelz is expensive.

Good grief, can volleyball parents get a break here? LOL
Jack Pearson
AG
Well got the first tournament in San Antonio this weekend...I got a 10' foot light tripod and a wasabi power clutch for Christmas....running into first problem, the wasabi doesnt appear to charge my iphone 7? I plugged in a 10 and it didnt work either? I have a message into them about it.

Second does scorecam cost or is it a free app?

Anyone else playing in SA this weekend?
Jack Pearson
AG
foulbeast said:

flintdragon said:

I use an iPod Touch instead of iPad. I highly recommend the Scorecam app for filming, and the Scorecam remote for control. This allows you to pause/resume the recording during the game so you don't film during timeouts, etc. And it saves the game in a single MP4, as opposed to the GoPro which creates a new file every time recording is stopped. It also does live streaming now via Youtube and others, but I've never used it since I don't use an iPhone or iPad with cell service to record.
Which version of scorecam are you using?
flintdragon
AG
classof2019 said:

Well got the first tournament in San Antonio this weekend...I got a 10' foot light tripod and a wasabi power clutch for Christmas....running into first problem, the wasabi doesnt appear to charge my iphone 7? I plugged in a 10 and it didnt work either? I have a message into them about it.

I had power delivery issues from the power clutch to a gopro hero 7 black last year. I don't know if it's the same issue you are having. Other players parents didn't have a issue but they were using older gopros. I haven't used the clutch in a while but I just tried it now with an ipad mini 5 and it seemed to charge though it has a weird issue where it doesn't charge unless I plug in the cable into the ipad first and then into the clutch. Weird. Subsequent attempts work unless I turn off the screen. Then it won't charge again. really weird.

I bought both scorecam and ezreelz which is a monthly payment (~150/yr). While ezreelz has a ton of options and features, I found that I was way too preoccupied with pushing screen icons and not enjoying the game at all. Scorecam is much simpler and still offers highlights though you have to put highlights together as it just saves off clips. For the first part of the season, I will just be using Scorecam to see if it is all I need.

Scorecam is $9 for basic functionality and $11 for pro which gives you remote control ability which you probably want. If you want streaming, it's $6/mo or $20/year. I personally would not stream. It's so hit/miss depending on venue.

I wish my daughter was playing in SA this weekend. Many things to dislike about our current club and this is one of them (not playing in enough tournaments). She'll be there for the tour qualifier though.

Jack Pearson
AG
flintdragon said:

classof2019 said:

I had power delivery issues from the power clutch to a gopro hero 7 black last year. I don't know if it's the same issue you are having. Other players parents didn't have a issue but they were using older gopros. I haven't used the clutch in a while but I just tried it now with an ipad mini 5 and it seemed to charge though it has a weird issue where it doesn't charge unless I plug in the cable into the ipad first and then into the clutch. Weird. Subsequent attempts work unless I turn off the screen. Then it won't charge again. really weird.

I bought both scorecam and ezreelz which is a monthly payment (~150/yr). While ezreelz has a ton of options and features, I found that I was way too preoccupied with pushing screen icons and not enjoying the game at all. Scorecam is much simpler and still offers highlights though you have to put highlights together as it just saves off clips. For the first part of the season, I will just be using Scorecam to see if it is all I need.

Scorecam is $9 for basic functionality and $11 for pro which gives you remote control ability which you probably want. If you want streaming, it's $6/mo or $20/year. I personally would not stream. It's so hit/miss depending on venue.

I wish my daughter was playing in SA this weekend. Many things to dislike about our current club and this is one of them (not playing in enough tournaments). She'll be there for the tour qualifier though.

Ok thanks. Good news is I reached out to wasabi who told me that they have a newer unit that will charge my iphone 7 and they will ship it out for free...so thats positive. It wont help me for this weekend but will be ready for the tour qualifier in dallas in a few weeks.

Ok just purchased scorecam pro for $11, i think that will do all I need. Hoping to get it setup here shortly

Yeah this SA tourney looks like a good two day warmup for the tour. Should be fun and great weather to get out on the riverwalk when time allows.
flintdragon
AG
I've been reading about the iographer case that allows you to also attach a wide angle lens. A lot of tournaments don't give you enough room to get a wide enough shot. thinking about it...
flintdragon
AG
I did end up buying an ipod touch to record. What's a good way to mount it onto a tripod that provides good protection?
foulbeast
AG
I use this case: ULAK iPod Touch 6 Case,iPod Touch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TPBG824?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And I mount it with a Square Jellyfish Jelly mount (Square Jellyfish Jelly Grip Twist Mount | 360 Degree Swivel Twist Tight Grip with Ability to Add Extra Accessory | iPhone and Android Compatible (Mount Only) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756CSCLF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3GSdEbZEVZCYM).

I removed the swivel part and just screw the clamp part directly to the clutch. That combo has taken a bunch of direct shots and has never failed.

My clutch has a button next to the lights to activate the charger. It doesn't start charging until I hit that button.
foulbeast
AG
flintdragon said:

I've been reading about the iographer case that allows you to also attach a wide angle lens. A lot of tournaments don't give you enough room to get a wide enough shot. thinking about it...

Do they have an IPod touch compatible one? I looked at them for a long time, but never pulled the trigger. Once my daughter dropped club and went school only, the need for wide angle mostly went away so I never got it. I did get a stand-alone wide angle lens at one point for my iPhone and shot with that, but it was cheap and the video quality sucked so I gave up on it. The "good" lenses were all pretty pricey.
flintdragon
AG
foulbeast said:

flintdragon said:

Do they have an IPod touch compatible one? I looked at them for a long time, but never pulled the trigger. Once my daughter dropped club and went school only, the need for wide angle mostly went away so I never got it. I did get a stand-alone wide angle lens at one point for my iPhone and shot with that, but it was cheap and the video quality sucked so I gave up on it. The "good" lenses were all pretty pricey.
I think you are supposed to buy the iographer one for iphone 5/5s which is same form factor as ipod touches. I did read that the ipod touch is thinner so may have to insert a shim. $40 for case, $40 for wide angle...
flintdragon
AG
foulbeast said:

I use this case: ULAK iPod Touch 6 Case,iPod Touch... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TPBG824?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And I mount it with a Square Jellyfish Jelly mount (Square Jellyfish Jelly Grip Twist Mount | 360 Degree Swivel Twist Tight Grip with Ability to Add Extra Accessory | iPhone and Android Compatible (Mount Only) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756CSCLF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_3GSdEbZEVZCYM).

I removed the swivel part and just screw the clamp part directly to the clutch. That combo has taken a bunch of direct shots and has never failed.

My clutch has a button next to the lights to activate the charger. It doesn't start charging until I hit that button.
I made the suggested purchases. Case hasn't come in but I like the jelly mount because it isn't a spring clamp. Much more secure with the screw to tighten.

When I mounted it to the clutch, I couldn't get the mount to tighten snugly while pointed "straight". I ended up using the small ball head I had and seems like a solid set up.
flintdragon
AG
foulbeast, sorry for another question...

I had a test trial with my ipod touch a few weeks ago. I was just handholding while watching a game. The focus kept refocusing every few seconds making the video hard to watch. I'm reading I have to AE/focus lock. Did you have to do that?

I was thinking I would set up the tripod and before hoisting the ipod up, focus lock on the something on the court and then hoist?
foulbeast
AG
I generally don't have to do anything for the iPod touch to focus. I've have noticed it struggles to keep focus when it is moving at all. For example, when on a wood floor and a server bounces a ball close to it. It will go out and back into focus after each bounce. So when holding in your hand that could be the issue. But when still, I've never had issues with focus.
flintdragon
AG
foulbeast said:

I generally don't have to do anything for the iPod touch to focus. I've have noticed it struggles to keep focus when it is moving at all. For example, when on a wood floor and a server bounces a ball close to it. It will go out and back into focus after each bounce. So when holding in your hand that could be the issue. But when still, I've never had issues with focus.
Ok, yeah I'll have it on a lightstand and will keep an eye out for it. thanks!
flintdragon
AG
Did my first run with the new rig this past weekend at the Houston tournament. Felt the picture was a little blurry probably because the lighting at GRB convention center is terrible.

Overall, it was set and forget. I was going to try both of the apps but ended up only using scorecam once I realized it was easy to remove all the dead time in between plays. The power clutch worked well and shooting 3 games was no problem. I think I could get 5-6 games out of it.

Next time, I'm going to bring the taller light stand. I was using my more portable one to be more mobile but the ipod had some focusing problems when spectators wandered in view or the line judge was in the picture. Taller would be better.

Also might want to get a wide angle lens. I had to position the stand pretty far back and still didn't get the whole court.
foulbeast
AG
flintdragon said:

Did my first run with the new rig this past weekend at the Houston tournament. Felt the picture was a little blurry probably because the lighting at GRB convention center is terrible.

Overall, it was set and forget. I was going to try both of the apps but ended up only using scorecam once I realized it was easy to remove all the dead time in between plays. The power clutch worked well and shooting 3 games was no problem. I think I could get 5-6 games out of it.

Next time, I'm going to bring the taller light stand. I was using my more portable one to be more mobile but the ipod had some focusing problems when spectators wandered in view or the line judge was in the picture. Taller would be better.

Also might want to get a wide angle lens. I had to position the stand pretty far back and still didn't get the whole court.
Glad it worked pretty well for you. That setup has served me well over the years. Can't help on the wide-angle lens -- never went down that path. In extreme cases where I couldn't back up enough, I'd switch over to the GoPro for the wider field of vision. And yes -- the lighting in GRB sucks. San Antonio is worse. Dallas upgraded to LED the last couple of years and it is way better than in years past. And the iOS devices handle bad lighting way better than the GoPro.

My daughter stopped playing club ball before last season after 7 seasons. I miss a lot of it, but I don't miss the Tour of Texas at all. Driving all over the state to play the same teams over and over sucked. It's pretty pointless now that the recruiting calendar has changed and so much of the tournament is during the Quiet Period.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.