Buy XBox 1 S now or wait till Cyber Monday?

2,543 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Quito
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Buying my boys an XBox 1S with two controllers for Christmas.

I can get it on Amazon for $289 right now. Should I wait for a better deal on Black Fri/Cyber Monday?

Also looking to buy Madden 20, Cars game, and the baseball game.

Bobby Jimbo
AG
Quito said:

Buying my boys an XBox 1S with two controllers for Christmas.

I can get it on Amazon for $289 right now. Should I wait for a better deal on Black Fri/Cyber Monday?

Also looking to buy Madden 20, Cars game, and the baseball game.

I would wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

If you are going to get a baseball game for the Xbox, I highly suggest Super Mega Baseball 2 and not RBI Baseball.
jm94
AG
Bobby Jimbo said:

If you are going to get a baseball game for the Xbox, I highly suggest Super Mega Baseball 2 and not RBI Baseball.
Seconded.
MGS
For the "Cars game", I'd get Forza Horizon 4, it's a great racing game for kids.

Better yet, just get Game Pass Ultimate, and you'll get FH4 along with a ton of other games the kids may like.
Quito
AG
Always good advice here. Why Super Mega Baseball?

They want one where they can make their own teams based off their little league teams.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Quito said:

Always good advice here. Why Super Mega Baseball?

They want one where they can make their own teams based off their little league teams.
You can create teams, uniforms, logos, and even entire leagues within the game. So they would be able to create their entire little league team within the game no problem. This video walks through it a little bit:

Another cool thing about the game is that you can play together through a season on the same team. You can set the difficulty (called "Ego" in the game) for each user, and it will change the difficulty depending on who is batting, pitching, and fielding at the time.

Just make sure you are buying Super Mega Baseball 2 (the latest version) and not Super Mega Baseball.
Pman17
AG
FYI, the official Black Friday sale on Xbox One consoles starts tomorrow.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/promotions/sales/black-friday

Which bundle do you plan on getting?
The Xbox One S 2 Controller Bundle is on sale on Amazon for $265
Just an Xbox One S is $215 on Amazon.
There are some good bundles with games included.
Quito
AG
I definitely need two controllers. You recommend the bundle?

What about a charging station? Should I just do batteries?

Will XBox 360 remotes work with XBox 1?
Pilmer
AG
New XBox comes out next Christmas. Just a heads up for people who don't follow that kind of thing.
Quito
AG
What will be different about it?
Pman17
AG
Quito said:

What will be different about it?
The next Xbox is nicknamed Project Scarlett (no official name yet, we'll find out in June).
Basically it's a step up from the Xbox One X which will feature the latest graphics and processing 2020 has to offer in Gaming PCs.

Specs
-4x More Powerful than the Xbox One X & 16x More Powerful than the Xbox One S
-AMD Zen 2 Navi (Custom Processor designed for Xbox)
-GDDR6 RAM
-SSD
-Ray tracing graphics
-Output solid 4K 60fps and can go up to 120fps
-Has the capability to play 8K movies if that ever comes out.
-Plays Xbox, Xbox 360, and all Xbox One games

Estimated Cost: $500-600 (Assumed to take the price tag of the Xbox One X and X will drop in price.)
Pman17
AG
Following up my previous post.
I'm not trying to veer you away from buying an Xbox One S.
Skip to the last paragraph.

Xbox Timeline for those who aren't familiar.

1st Gen
-Xbox (2001): 480p, Rivaled PS2, Halo made it popular, introduced online gaming for console
2nd Gen
-Xbox 360 (2006): Introduced HD (720p, 30fps) for the first time in consoles, built around Xbox Live
-Xbox 360 Slim (2010): Shrank the 360 and fixed thermals that caused Red Ring of Death, Kinect
3rd Gen
-Xbox One (2013): 1080p, 30fps, Kinect 2
-Xbox One S (2016): 1080p, 30fps, HDR, Plays 4K Video Streaming and 4K BluRays, Ditched Kinect
-Xbox One X (2017): 4K, 30-60fps, HDR, Plays 4K Video Streaming and 4K BluRays
-Xbox One S All Digital (2019): 1080p, 30fps, HDR, Plays 4K Video Streaming, No Disc Drive, Cheaper
4th Gen
-Xbox Scarlett (2020): 4K, 60-120fps, HDR, Ray Tracing, Plays 8K Video Streaming and maybe 8K discs
-Xbox Something Something (2023): 8K, 30-60fps... Microsoft Plans to iterate the Xbox every 3 years

When Microsoft built the Xbox One they had to change the chip architecture and they made it resemble a PC. This was so that it made it easier for Developers to convert PC games to Xbox and Xbox games to PC and ran some form of Windows 10 to make apps Universal which failed. Making the Xbox like a PC allows for future backwards compatibility and cross saves between Xbox and PC. In the past it was difficult to make old games work on new consoles because chips were always custom built. Some consoles emulated old games but it was difficult to get all of them to work. When you look at PC games, you can still play 32bit games that ran on Windows XP today.

The reason why I'm saying all of this is because the Xbox One S will be around for awhile as a starter budget console. New games that come out to Project Scarlett will work on the S but not amazingly great. There will be a point where developers of AAA games will decide not to have their game run on the S, but that could be in a few years. Cloud gaming is around the corner with Project XCloud and I have no doubt Microsoft will allow owners of the Xbox One S to pay an extra monthly price to stream their games from a remote Scarlett console and get 4K graphics with 60fps as long as they have an internet connection.

Pman17
AG
Quito said:

I definitely need two controllers. You recommend the bundle?

What about a charging station? Should I just do batteries?

Will XBox 360 remotes work with XBox 1?

It's actually $10 cheaper to buy them separate. The One S is $215 and Controller is $40. That's $255.

You can do batteries but I recommend getting rechargeables. This looks good, comes with two for $20. You don't need one with a charging stand, those break easily. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076BMH2YL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CcT2Db79DQP5V

360 Controllers and Remotes Don't work.
Quito
AG
Ok, you guys are giving me great advice.

I went ahead and bought this XBox 1S
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074JF7M9X/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_3yT2DbSTMW3TE

I also bought Madden 20 (Pat Mahomes on cover...we live in KC and kids love him) and Car 3. I will probably buy that baseball game recommended as well.

We will want at least one other controller so I can play with them from time to time...I've had mad Madden skills from back in the day. Should I simply buy this controller along with the rechargeable battery packs recommended?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GW3H3U8/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_ExT2DbTRGP3YZ

jr15aggie
AG
For batteries, I went with Eneloop batteries and chargers off Amazon. We have two xboxes in my house so I have a couple chargers and lots and lots of AAs.

They last a long time and you always have new batteries ready to go (assuming you are OCD and keep then charged like I do).
Quito
AG
Those look great!

I just bought the 4 charger and 8 batteries.
Pman17
AG
That controller is good. They have other colors too, haha. There are some cool looking ones!

Tip: The controllers have built in Bluetooth so they can be paired to devices other than the Xbox.

Have fun!

One more thing, it's not necessary but if you're thinking about getting Xbox Live, Game Pass Ultimate is the way to go! It's $15/mo and you get Xbox Live, 4 free games per month (picked by Microsoft), discounts in the Store, and you get Netflix like access to over 100 games to play for free. There's a free 1 month trial in the box.
Agmaniacmike12
These guys, as always, give great advice. I miss our Battlefield crew.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Quito
AG
All great advice here!

I purchased the XBox One S because it can still play some of our XBox 360 games.

Am I correct in my thinking that XBox One S is the same as XBox One S All Digital with the exception that One S allows both non digital and digital games?
MGS
Yep, XBox One SAD is simply the XBox One S without the DVD drive.
Quito
AG
I can't find Super Mega Baseball 2?

Where can I buy it?
Pman17
AG
Quito said:

I can't find Super Mega Baseball 2?

Where can I buy it?

It's in the online digital Store on the Xbox. The game is download only.
Pilmer
AG
You may benefit from buying an attachable external hard drive for games. I'm not sure if prices have gone down on the ones that are affiliated with XBox, but any usb hard drive should work.
Quito
AG
I see. I bought it for $5 through Microsoft. Got confirmation email.

Once I set up XBox 1 S, will it be pretty easy to get started?
Not a Bot
AG
Xbox One X on sale today at Best buy for $150 off plus a free game and controller.

Just FYI
The Fife
Plays original Xbox games? I just now noticed this but now it's become highly tempting...
E
AG
Moxley said:

Xbox One X on sale today at Best buy for $150 off plus a free game and controller.

Just FYI
Uhhhh... do you mean $150 off or the One S, not X? I know you said yesterday, but everything on their site says on sale for $349
Not a Bot
AG
It was the X.
Agmaniacmike12
E said:

Moxley said:

Just FYI
Uhhhh... do you mean $150 off or the One S, not X? I know you said yesterday, but everything on their site says on sale for $349
I'm assuming this is a reference to the Star Wars bundle+ the free controller. I think it may be a $150 savings with the whole bundle compared to buying each item separately. It's probably the best deal of the holiday season for the One X, but I'm not sure it would make many people get an X knowing that there is a new console on the way next year.
Quito
AG
On Super Mega baseball, once we customize a team, how do we play with it?
Quito
AG
Figured it out!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.