Half-Life: Alyx (VR)

2,898 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by IWannaGoFast1
Chase McGuire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Valve is making another half-life game in VR. Supposed to be the same length as HL2. Looks awesome. Never thought I'd see the day.

Artorias
AG
Behind the scenes interview with some of the Valve guys on how HL:Alyx came to be, why VR, etc.

Proposition Joe
and they are packaging it with the Index (or controllers) in attempts to push adoption of the hardware.
V8Aggie
AG
Chase McGuire said:

Valve is making another half-life game in VR. Supposed to be the same length as HL2. Looks awesome. Never thought I'd see the day.

I really want to experience VR but after reading about "screen door" problems I don't want to invest in the hardware.

Any word yet on new versions coming out that eliminate this?
Chase McGuire
Honestly, I know very little about VR. I don't own a headset. This might make me look into it though.
The Fife
This may become a factor in my upcoming desktop build...
tamusc
AG
The Fife said:

This may become a factor in my upcoming desktop build...

Definitely RTX 2070 Super or better then for this, especially if you want to run a something like the Valve Index headset with its higher resolution and higher refresh rate.
TexAgs91
AG
VR only? Ugh
Philip J Fry
AG
My index arrived this Tuesday. Can't wait.
tamusc
AG
The team from Tested was able to play a significant amount of the game on 8 different VR systems.

Aggie_Journalist
AG
A relative got a VR set for the holidays and we played with it for maybe ten minutes. He immediately hit the wall while swinging an axe in the game he was playing. I noticed the cord getting tangled around my legs as I turned around while wearing the headset, but I didn't hit or break anything. The movement controls were incredibly awkward. I don't know how other VR games handle character movement, but you had to reach out, click a button to kind of grab the air, and then pull yourself forward to take each step. It was so tedious we tended to just stand still and let bad guys attack us while we swung our axe at them.
Thanks and gig'em
Proposition Joe
Locomotion is definitely one of the biggest hurdles with VR right now. Regarding the cord tangling -- I've been very vocal that once you go un-tethered/wireless, it's impossible to go back.

As far as the locomotion, different games use different methods (and some offer both). The two big issues are room-size and motion sickness. Most people don't have a large enough playspace to have true "walk wherever you want to walk" locomotion, but a large % of people can't handle moving with the directional pad as it can cause sigifnicant motion sickness.

So we're kinda stuck with some of these half-way measures like you described above.

I've seen some technologies out there that can replicate walk with a revolving treadmill-like floor, but nothing that is close to the price-point that people are going to really develop heavily for it.
Artorias
AG
New gameplay videos

https://www.ign.com/articles/half-life-alyx-a-watch-3-new-gameplay-trailers
Chase McGuire
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/half-life-alyx/critic-reviews

Out now.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I would pay a kabillion dollars if they created a flavor of Dead Space similar to this. I'm not a fan of the point/click movement system though. Seems like it could get awfully mundane and annoying.
hunter2012
AG
Free for current Index owners, I was surprised when I looked at the webpage and it only gave me the offer to download.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
First reviews are good. It could persuade me to get into VR. I'd use it for sim racing primarily, but always been a fan of HL.
Chase McGuire
You can choose between a few different movement systems, I believe, including the regular joystick approach.
Philip J Fry
AG
Started it today. Pretty blown away by the immersion.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Chase McGuire said:

You can choose between a few different movement systems, I believe, including the regular joystick approach.
Oh nice.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
IWannaGoFast1
AG
IWannaGoFast1
AG
IWannaGoFast1
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.