Online retailers...

946 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TMoney2007
92Ag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
....seem to be increasingly pushy about items left in carts.
Recently was at harley davidson site and tossed a part in my cart, did some more browsing...but then left.
I get this email saying "We saw you looking at (item x)" and trying to goad me into completing the purchase.
That whole "We saw you..." thing seemed kind of creepy to me but I got to thinking...what's next?.....emails from amazon?
"We heard you through your echo talking to your wife about maybe purchasing a new outdoor grill....we've added a few to your cart for you to consider."
fig96
AG
I was actually setting up a Shopify store for a client recently and I got an email to tell me I'd left something in my cart when I was testing the site, turns out that was a default setting I had to turn off. And I did.

But yeah, it's annoying. The worst was a company that literally messaged me on Facebook about something left in my cart, which means they had to have looked at the email or name on my account and matched it back to FB.

I will not be doing business with them.
Redstone
AG
We were early adopters of Prime and haven't had any problems.
Vernada
AG
I guess it depends on the scenario - some I don't care for, some I don't mind.

There's one retailer where I know their setting is to send you the email reminding there's something in the cart but then offering a free shipping coupon. So I take advantage of that all the time.
diehard03
it's a common metric for ecommerce sites to track. I'm surprised sites aren't more militant about it.

The facebook thing is a little "next level", but it might be a facebook issue rather than a site issue. Facebook maybe offering to connect emails as a service to the vendor.
aTm2004
AG
There could be multiple reasons why that are legit business related and not creepy. My first thought was inventory management. You may have 1 sitting in your cart for a day or so, and so could a hundred other people, and they may not be able to keep proper inventory to meet their delivery date. "Just order more inventory!" If they do that and the ones in the carts don't sell, then they will be sitting on excess inventory, which equals additional costs.
TracerX
It gets so much worse than getting an email though. I've received snail mail as a result of checking out a food delivery service or a place that sells furniture and, based on when I started receiving the stuff, I know it is related to visiting their sites (where I didn't even begin the checkout process).

I work for an ecommerce site and I've had companies contacting me offering us the ability to remarket to users via email/facebook/snail mail/etc... without us having any information on them because the companies are collecting data on multiple sites and are using that to identify users across the web for marketing. I'm not a fan of that type of remarketing and I've been fortunate enough that we as a company have decided not to go down that path but I get how the numbers these companies can show make it an attractive opportunity.
TMoney2007
AG
This is a strange thing to get upset about,...

I get 30 emails a day that I don't want... I just don't read them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.