Another Desktop Build Help Thread

724 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggieforester05
The Fife
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Due to a motherboard failure on the laptop I was using I'm looking into building a desktop and need some advice. They're different things I know, but the laptop already was a desktop from a bad battery and being huge.

I'm getting a Ryzen 2600 from helping someone troubleshoot a build on some components they already bought but I'm basically clueless on what to buy for myself since the last time I built one was 12 years ago. Also I'm thinking basically average here since I'm mostly into console gaming and have a huge backlog with that. What average is in 2019 I'm pretty unclear about. I'll probably use my TV as a screen (65" UHD Samsung). All other components besides the case I could use advice on.

Right now I have the quad core desktop and a 2010 15" HP Envy so pretty much anything will be an upgrade!
VincentBlack
Sounds like you are looking for suggested/compatible HW for that proc. I'd start here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/by_part/jLF48d
The Fife
Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

Any thoughts on video cards? I have a couple that were high end 12 years ago but they're probably crap now.
tamusc
AG
The Fife said:

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

Any thoughts on video cards? I have a couple that were high end 12 years ago but they're probably crap now.
Depends on how much you want to spend and your performance expectations. The answer depends on the price range.
tamusc
AG
Here's a pretty decent list of the best GPUs for each application/resolution.

https://www.tomshardware.com/amp/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html
Claude!
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2bcr6R

That's a budget build including a Ryzen 2600 that I'll put together for my brother next week. If you want a little more beef in the graphics card, you could upgrade to a Radeon RX 590.

Definitely look for an M.2 form factor for your primary hard drive, and unless you've got significant budget constraints, stick with all SSD drives.
The Fife
I was thinking about going with a boot + app SSD plus a traditional HD or two for data. Altogether I need about 8TB by my math. Are people still doing that sort of thing now?

I'm definitely pulling the trigger on components within the next week or so. I swear the backup laptop (2010 HP Envy 14") has something wrong with it because it runs slower than my desktop which is 3 years older. It's bad enough so that I'm on my phone outputting to the tv instead of using the laptop.
Claude!
What on earth do you need 8TB for?
tamusc
AG
The Fife said:

I was thinking about going with a boot + app SSD plus a traditional HD or two for data. Altogether I need about 8TB by my math. Are people still doing that sort of thing now?

I'm definitely pulling the trigger on components within the next week or so. I swear the backup laptop (2010 HP Envy 14") has something wrong with it because it runs slower than my desktop which is 3 years older. It's bad enough so that I'm on my phone outputting to the tv instead of using the laptop.
Agreed with the above comment. 8TB is a ton for local storage and if you have 8TB worth of files you need locally, you might be better served going with some kind of NAS. That has some kind of data redundancy, at least locally. If you're actually doing something with those files on a regular basis, like video editing, it will be painfully slow on a HDD. Heck, I have 4TB of NVMe storage in my main system for editing and games. Anything else is either on a NAS or cloud.
tamusc
AG
FYI, Paul put together a pretty solid gaming PC for $900.

aggieforester05
AG
I have 21TB of storage in my desktop, only one of which is split between an SSD and M.2 boot drive. I just added a ten TB drive to it but haven't fired it up yet. My other 10Tb worth of optical drives are full of music, pictures, movies, and games. It's my primary gaming rig and Plex server. 8TB is not a crazy amount imo.

I have a NAS but it's slow AF, I'd rather just use optical drives on my computer and keep the media backed up to external drives. Pictures are backed up to redundant cloud sites.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.