What is your perfect home network setup?

2,746 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bco2003
ForeverAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking at buying some electronics during the black friday cyber monday deals. I would like to begin transitioning to access points, switches, and the like pending our home build that will be completed next year(still in design phase). I will have 8ish Poe cameras around house/ garage, would like VLAN support, will run ethernet drops as much as possible, and will have a dedicated server closet to house all electronics for the house. Looking for as much input to have all the pieces I need/ want but don't know yet.
pnut02
AG
Ubiquiti
Look at the Unifi line
https://www.ui.com/
Jethro95
AG
It sounds like you are wanting to do something similar to what I have so I'll just list the major components.

pfsense firewall/router
ubiquiti cloudkey controller
ubiquiti access points
24 port gigabit POE switch Amazon Link (This thing sits in my closet and does an amazing job)
Multiple IP Cameras
Blue Iris Server on an older i7 desktop
VOIP ATA

Patch Panels, I went with the keystone type so I can just plug in what I need where I want it
Rackmount switched power center

Jethro95
AG
One other thing you might be able to find a good deal on would be a cable tester/tracer. They make ones that do both ethernet and coax.
frorge
AG
Jethro95 said:

It sounds like you are wanting to do something similar to what I have so I'll just list the major components.

pfsense firewall/router
ubiquiti cloudkey controller
ubiquiti access points
24 port gigabit POE switch Amazon Link (This thing sits in my closet and does an amazing job)
Multiple IP Cameras
Blue Iris Server on an older i7 desktop
VOIP ATA

Patch Panels, I went with the keystone type so I can just plug in what I need where I want it
Rackmount switched power center

I have almost this exact same setup. No issues and easy setup.
Jethro95
AG
I forgot to mention multiple UPS's.
bco2003
AG
Jethro95 said:

pfsense firewall/router
What type of hardware do you use with your pfsense?
Jethro95
AG
Netgate SG-3100
Average Joe
AG
If money wasn't an option then probably all Meraki gear. Firewall, Switches, AP's.

Since I don't have a money tree, I would go either pfsense, Cisco ASA, or Ubiquiti firewall with Ubiquiti switches and AP's.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
I'd look at something else besides Ubiquiti.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/07/ubiquiti_networks_phone_home/

Sucks because they have a pretty good UI and devices from what I've read. They can go **** themselves with their updated phone home bull*****
Vae Victis
ForeverAg
AG
For my switch I was considering this, I have heard bad things about the POE of the ubiquiti switches. Netgear has lifetime warranty if there are POE issues.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-52-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed/dp/B07CCBRRHS/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=netgear%2B48%2Bpoe%2Bswitch&qid=1574202962&s=electronics&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=1-3&th=1

Thoughts?
ForeverAg
AG
crickets
Jethro95
AG
I don't know anything about that particular switch. However, I did have a bad experience with a unifi POE switch but it may have just been my setup.
fooz
Nealthedestroyer said:

I'd look at something else besides Ubiquiti.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/11/07/ubiquiti_networks_phone_home/

Sucks because they have a pretty good UI and devices from what I've read. They can go **** themselves with their updated phone home bull*****
Just block trace.svc.ui.com

Check out pihole https://pi-hole.net/

Quote:

root@shamu:~# pihole -q trace.svc.ui.com
Match found in list.0.raw.githubusercontent.com.domains:
trace.svc.ui.com
JSKolache
AG
Build your closet space to be multifunctional for the future. You may want to hang some coats in there in 10 years when all that **** becomes wireless.
Azariah
AG
pnut02 said:

Ubiquiti
Look at the Unifi line
https://www.ui.com/

eot
dave99ag
AG
+1 for UniFi. I built my setup before mesh-networks were readily available and definitely prefer the flexibility that I have with UniFi access points and switches. I have a few POE devices and haven't run into any issues yet with the switch.

UniFi Security Gateway
|
UniFi Switch 8
|

(Formatting is all jacked up)
ForeverAg
AG
Ok I'm gonna start building up this ubiquiti set up then. Shot in the dark, anyone aware of any of this hardware on sales through Black Friday to Cyber Monday?
Azariah
AG
https://theblackfridayssales.com/ubiquiti-networks-black-friday-deals/
Azariah
AG
Don't fool with any of their other stuff. You want UniFi only.

USG

Some sort of switch

APs

Possibly also a Cloud Key if you have the cash. It's a luxury rather than a necessity, but it makes administration MUCH easier.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Honest question...this all sounds very over engineered for home connectivity. What is driving all this...do you need QoS or what exactly this the needs for all this if I just want to stream and surf?
ForeverAg
AG
Honestly it's a good question, more or less this is how I got here:
We are in the design phase of a new home, a requirement for me is everything that can be wired, is.

So I say ok I want a central location where all wires are home run into. (I need a switch and the ability to manage this switch.)
I want to house all of the Home AV in the same location instead of out in the living room. (I need a media/network closet.)
I want to use access points for the house so that I can upgrade access points as technology changes and add and expand as much as I want in the future. (Who has good access points)
I travel alot so I would like to remote into my home network as well as VPN while away for streaming services.
I'm interested in the pi hole for the network (I believe this is what prevents advertisements from getting in the network as well as other features)
I would like a central hub that can house all camera connections for home security.
In the future I may be interested in more smart home technologies.

In summary yes it's likely overkill, but I want to future proof the house as much as I can as well as discover other needs/wants that I didn't know I could do with a home network
Jethro95
AG
For me, it came down to the sheer number of devices on the network and the spread out nature of our 2-story home. Between personal and IOT devices we have around 50 devices connected at any time. This includes IP cameras, light switches, Rokus, thermostats, sprinkler controller etc. This type of setup lets me have multiple subnets so I can effectively wall off all of the IOT stuff to its own island. Having 2 AP's solved all of the connectivity issues we were having and I now have a good signal everywhere including my backyard and garage. I am able to simultaneously run up to 4 different named wifi networks that are mapped to specific subnets. Currently, we have one for general use, one for IOT and another one for Guests. Our home was pre-wired where everything comes back to one location so that made it easier to do. Finally, once you do POE cameras and access points you need a big POE switch to run them all.
bco2003
AG
Anyone have experience with the Firewalla firewall?

I don't think I'd go for it, since it effectively is performing man in the middle spoofing, likely adding some latency and bandwidth degradation, not to mention what are they doing with the data they are collecting.

But curious if anyone has some real life experiences from it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.