New PC build advice

1,914 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AGSPORTSFAN07
REPUBLICAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Building on a budget.

So far I am looking to get the Ryzen 7 2700x for $130 at Microcenter with the thought I can get a new CPU in a couple years.

I was looking to go ahead and get an X570 midrange or budget motherboard but I am finding it tough to find much consistent info about these motherboards. Does anyone have any advice on these or should I just look at an x470 or 450 and rebuild when I get a new CPU? I won't be doing the gen4 PCIe just yet...too pricey.

I can't find much of anything of anyone pairing a 2700x with an x570 so curious if this approach is a mistake. Seems they both run pretty hot.

tamusc
AG
Hardware Unboxed has some really solid X570 roundups at various price points. They're reviews are pretty consistent with most of the others I've read out there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI8iQa1hv7oV_Z8D35vVuSg/search?query=x570

At this point, I'd say go with a budget B450 motherboard like the MSI B450 Tomahawk or go with whatever X570 motherboard HU recommends for your price range in the videos linked above. I don't think spending more on an X470 makes much sense at this point unless you get an absolute steal on a higher end model, but even in that case I'd be hard pressed to just not go with X570.
REPUBLICAg
Thanks for that! Prices are all over the place right now. I actually saw one of his videos but the one you linked helped me more.

The ASUS Prime x570-P is the budget one he recommends. I initially saw that one but the reviews are all over the place. It is on sale for $127 right now on Amazon.

2700x and x570 for $260 sounds fine by me. Thanks for your help. Gonna buy and watch black friday prices.
AtlAg05
AG
Will you replace the motherboard with the new pay in a few years? If not you'll have to make sure it's compatible with the motherboard you are currently getting.

Also Microcenter has decent CPU/motherboard bundle deals.
REPUBLICAg
My plan is to NOT have to replace the motherboard but I understand the predicament. I'm gambling that the higher-rated low budget x570 is good enough for a 3800x or 3900x down the road. I think it should b but who knows with these things. Right now I am using a 12-year-old Dell PC and a 15-year-old Dell laptop so virtually anything is going to be an upgrade. Just no need to break the bank. I like to play the occasional game but don't need the latest greatest.

Thinking for a video card the 580/590 series unless I find a $250ish higher level card.

Got THIS the other day for $99. So far that's my only part! The motherboard I decided on may not get delivered until late December. NOOOOOOOOOO...
tamusc
AG
The reason why the cheaper Asus X570 motherboards like the Prime and TUF are so well reviewed is that they use the same power delivery design as their good mid range (~$300) motherboards. Either of those budget Asus X570 boards can run a 3950X without issue, assuming you're not doing some crazy extreme overclocking.

It's kind of a reversal from the 400 series where MSI was king with the B450 Tomahawk and Asus budget boards were kind of garbage. Clearly Asus put more effort into their budget X570 offerings whereas the quality of MSI's budget X570 boards are literally hot garbage.
permabull
AG
D`Funkaladu`
AG
While that's often true, getting a new generation feature like PCIe 4.0 that will be around for a while seems to be a good investment. It may not be used now, but the next gen video cards and SSDs will make use of it and can extend the useful lifespan of the motherboard for several extra years.

AMD also has a great upgrade path with the AM4 socket. It's not like Intel where each generation has its own socket and/or chipset. Upgrading in a couple years may still be possible using the latest processor without having to upgade the board. Ryzen 4000 is just around the corner (1H 2020) and will be compatible. The next gen may be as well. I don't see a huge jump forward in chipset features with X670 or whatever they call it, not like PCIe 4.0 at least.

Now if the board and proc could be used to upgrade another computer in 2 years, might be worth it to wait for the latest and greatest then. A newer socket will be coming eventually.

On the video card side, the GTX 1660 SUPER was just released in the $250 range and seems to be the sweet spot for <$300. There's another thread in the Nerdery from last week with recommendations for a similar build.
REPUBLICAg
Thanks for the helpful advice and links. I ended up spending an extra $23 and getting the x570 TUF gaming with the processor bundle. I don't know what that buildzoid dude was talking about but it sure sounded good!

So far:

$150 ASUS TUF Gaming x570-Plus WiFi
$130 Ryzen 7 2700X
$100 Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (though now I notice this isn't on MB compatibility list)

Itching to build now. I hate being a slave to Black Friday so I'm happy retailers seem there seem to be a lot of early deals.

I like that 1660 SUPER recommendation...hadn't even heard of it before. Will probably get that unless something better comes along cheaper...which I doubt.

Seems to be a lot of DDR4 3200 RAM 2x8GB for about $60

Cases are all over the place. Looking at NR400, NR600, or NZXT H510 or Black Friday

Power supplies look like a lot of BF deals

Anyway, thanks again
Funk12
Recently built with the new wave of the Ryzen 7 & Nvidia Super cards in July, my pre-built was 8 years old lol. Love it, spent ~1700$ (which I wanted to do to future proof somewhat--IE not have to upgrade or buy a new one for 5 years or so). I also got the NZXT H700. Love it as well.

Not sure how savy you are already, But i extensively used all of the below to help me on my first build. I highly recommend BuildaPC & Buildapcsales as they are super super helpful, especially for finding deals. Just remember at the end of the day like everything else there's a ton of opinions on what's a 'Good' build or right vs wrong, or AMD/Intel or AMD/Nvidia.

I can tell you I wanted to go with the B450 tomahawk but when the Ryzen 7's dropped there were issues as far as updating BIOS and what not, and to avoid the headache I went with the X570 board.

If you know what you want etc., you can ask on /r/buildapcforme and people will assist in generating a build in your price range. Also there's Tom's hardware that has some solid pre-built guides you can copy over to PCPartPicker to start with.

I recommend the following for help:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/partsguide

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/wiki/partselection

https://pcpartpicker.com/ <-----MOCK build here to check compatibility as well as pricing. Super helpful.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

My final build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DhFPMZ

tamusc
AG
Buildzoid does great work on board analysis, especially when it comes to power delivery on both motherboards and GPUs.

Make sure whatever RAM you get is on the compatible list for that motherboard.

If you're in or close to Austin, I have an NZXT H700i in black that's been sitting in a closet since I moved my system over to an Evolv X and is free to a good home. Heck, my wife would be happy to get the closet space back, lol. Great case, just liked the aesthetics of the Evolv X better for my over the top water cooled build.
REPUBLICAg
Yes, you can tell that guy is not beholden to the corporation like some...not that there's anything wrong with that. You almost have a hard time trying to figure out what he DOES recommend! lol

I would take you up on that in a heartbeat if I was closer. Thanks for the offer.

Have you ever heard of an SSD, which is NOT on the MB compatibility list, causing problems? PC Part Picker doesn't show an issue so I'm tempted to give it a try but I just don't know how this hardware works. I know memory is finicky sometimes so I do plan to find a compatible one there.
tamusc
AG
lol, yeah, since he doesn't depend on sampling from vendors, he doesn't hold back.

As far as the Sabrent Rocket NVMe SSD, I think you'll be fine if you're doing a fresh install of windows instead of cloning an existing drive. It's a standard NVMe m.2 2280 drive, so it should be fine with your system. The only issue with the Sabrent drives that I'm aware of is that they have a different sector size then most other SSDs, which isn't usually an issue unless you're trying to clone a drive to it that uses a different sector size.

And no problem, just thought I'd offer if you happened to be close by. It's cheaper to buy a new case than ship the dang thing, lol.
REPUBLICAg
I appreciate the help! I ended up getting everything bought on deals before black Friday thinking I would watch and upgrade as they came available but it seems the best deals were leading up to it in my case. Happy with what I got...I think I will be able to upgrade easily in the future. Hopefully the power button works!

I still don't have a GPU. I was going to get the 1660 Super but I have decided to wait to see what happens with the AMD Radeon RX 5500 release. Hoping for a little Christmas time price war. There were virtually no deals the past week on GPUs

Here's what I ended up with.

$130 Ryzen 7 2700X +free game
$150 X570 Tuf w/ WiFi
$83 Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD
$58 Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (cheap compatible 3200 was nonexistent)
$80 SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
$70 Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 ATX Mid Tower Case

$571

tamusc
AG
Solid build and you got some smoking deals on the CPU and PSU!

Good idea to wait on the RX 5500XT release as you'll likely see some price drops from NVIDIA on the 1660 family in response at the very least. The performance of the RX 5500 (which is likely an OEM-only model for now) looks promising, though it is held back with only 4GB of VRAM.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5500/6.html
DE4D
AG
https://www.logicalincrements.com/
REPUBLICAg
So the 5500XT kinda came and went with little fanfare. I was looking at the 1660 Super and Ti but prices seem to have creeped up and availability is spotty.

I found this deal today on a Vega 56 and went ahead with it. It was $260 through Amazon Warehouse in 'Very Good' condition so we will see. They gave an additional 20% off to make it $208.

Seems like a deal to me unless someone knows something about these cards I don't. Too old? Looks like there's one or two more available at that price.

Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56
tamusc
AG
The 5500XT looks like a decent GPU, but the launch price isn't in line with its performance. It's basically in the 580/590 performance territory, but with better power efficiency. When you can still get a 580 or 590 for $20-$40 cheaper, it makes no sense to buy right now.

A Vega 56 is still a solid card and is a steal at $208. If you're someone that enjoys trying toe squeeze everything out of your system, the Vega 56 is actually a really interesting card. You can do all kinds of things with it beyond just overclocking like using powerplay tables and flashing the BIOS on it to get Vega 64 levels of performance. The card you linked (Sapphire PUlse Vega 56) in particular is a nice card with a very high chance of supporting the BIOS mod.

To be clear, even at stock, the Vega 56 is a solid performer and will smoke anything else at that price.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3382-rtx-2070-versus-power-modded-vega-56

https://hothardware.com/news/amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-unlocked-vega-64-bios-flash

Just make sure you have enough airflow for the card and you should be fine. With the case you got, I'd throw another 1-2 120mm fans in the front for more intake(that case supports 140mm fans, but has issues with where they mount) and another 120mm or 140mm on the rearward top spot for better exhaust.
REPUBLICAg
Yeah I just put replaced the 2 stock fans (which were very loud) with 3 front/2 exhaust THESE Artic Fans through PWM. It has made a huge difference already I think. I hardly notice them anymore and the stock CPU cooler isn't revving constantly like it was. Will probably replace that eventually too.

The computer has been great so far. Amazing how fast it is compared to what I had. I think I'm hooked again on this stuff. Hadn't paid attention in years. I follow a few of those YouTube sites like GN and it amazes me how fast things move.

That GPU is way more than I need but I like a good value. I will have to figure out what I can do with it. I did notice it runs hot.

I'm currently using my old GT 730 GPU and user benchmark called it 'Terrible!' hahaha I agree.

UserBenchmarks: Game 17%, Desk 108%, Work 94%

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 83.8%
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 730 - 6.6%
SSD: Intel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 244.6%
HDD: WD Green 1TB (2011) - 76.5%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 C15 2x8GB - 95.4%
MBD: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)

AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
REPUBLICAg said:

Thanks for the helpful advice and links. I ended up spending an extra $23 and getting the x570 TUF gaming with the processor bundle. I don't know what that buildzoid dude was talking about but it sure sounded good!

So far:

$150 ASUS TUF Gaming x570-Plus WiFi
$130 Ryzen 7 2700X
$100 Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD (though now I notice this isn't on MB compatibility list)

Itching to build now. I hate being a slave to Black Friday so I'm happy retailers seem there seem to be a lot of early deals.

I like that 1660 SUPER recommendation...hadn't even heard of it before. Will probably get that unless something better comes along cheaper...which I doubt.

Seems to be a lot of DDR4 3200 RAM 2x8GB for about $60

Cases are all over the place. Looking at NR400, NR600, or NZXT H510 or Black Friday

Power supplies look like a lot of BF deals

Anyway, thanks again
If you're going M.2 you might as well pull the trigger and get the EVO 970.

Oh yeah...and RGB does make your machine faster!!! =)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.