Google Fi

769 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by flintdragon
380Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question for Google Fi users.
I switched over a few months ago. Before switching I looked at my data usage from my original carrier and I usually hovered around 2G/mth. Since switching over, I have been blowing that out of the water.

Any tips? Data saver is on and I don't stream music anymore on my commute. But I still get up there in data usage pretty quickly. Does Google calculate data usage differently than traditional carriers? Is there a way to independently verify my data usage outside of what the Google Fi app says I'm using?

**Conspiracy Theory** Is Google "juicing" the data usage to make more money?

Thanks for the input/help.
flintdragon
AG
Check your mobile data usage? Settings -> Network&Internet ->Mobile Network->App data usage.

I think some carriers give you unlimited streaming of some services like youtube/netflix? Not really sure as I don't care about that myself. So your 2GB/mo may not include those counts.
rbcs_2
AG
I'm a Fi customer and typically come in under 250MB/month so i don't think it's the juice.
Risky101
S
I typically use very little data (<0.5 gb). Watching any videos on mobile data will blow through data in a hurry. If you are on social media a lot and have the autoplay of videos on then that could be a culprit. Also, on texags you can turn off the autoload of images, I've found that helps too. In short, if you're not on wifi then anything that connects to the internet should be used VERY sparingly. That includes games with ads, consider those videos.
380Ag
AG
OK, I tweeked a few settings. I had several apps that were eating data in the background. Stuff I rarely use.
When I was hitting 2G/mth, I was streaming music/podcasts on my commute (2-3hrs/day)

I haven't streamed recently on Fi, just due to the data. No social media, videos unless i'm on wifi, so hopefully changing the app settings will bring down my data usage.

Right now my biggest data eater is Google Maps bc I need real time traffic info for commute.

We'll see how this goes...
flintdragon
AG
Did you download the map data in Google Maps? I use it for my commute as well (~1hr/day) and it consumes about 3-400MB/mo for me.
JSKolache
AG
Im between 1-2gigs monthly, no jucing. i switched to FI to save money money cuz im not a power user
fig96
AG
flintdragon said:

Did you download the map data in Google Maps? I use it for my commute as well (~1hr/day) and it consumes about 3-400MB/mo for me.
I didn't know you could do this, thanks!
flintdragon
AG
yup, I do the offline maps for local as well as when I travel just in case cellular data is sluggish and I really need maps to work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.