New MacBook Pro 16": Fixed Keyboard, Base Storage 512GB!

902 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by third coast..
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's time to upgrade for realz.
Apple finally announces the new MacBook Pro 16" and currently on paper, it lives up to every MacBook Pro user's wishes.

Key Features
-Replaces the 15" with the same base price tag of $2,399
-Scissor Keyboard! Apple ditched the failed Butterfly Keyboard
-A physical Escape Key!
-Base Storage upped from 256GB to 512GB!
-Up to 8TB Storage
-Up to 64GB RAM
-Up to 2.4 GHz 8 Core i9
-Up to AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
-Up to 8GB VRAM
-New 6 Speaker Sound System
-Larger Battery 100Wh
-Resolution 3072x1920 pixels

aggieforester05
AG
For $2,400 512gb is a joke. So sick of apple being so stingy with storage considering how cheap it is and unreplaceable it is in their products and the premium they charge.
Pman17
AG
Yea, it's a joke but better than yesterday's model which was $2400 for 256GB and several months back when Apple dropped storage prices by $200.
fig96
AG
Totally in for one of these next year when I need a replacement.

Glad to see they're finally offering some "pro" options, even if they are pricey. I've always made up the difference on resale anyway.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Glad they're switching away from butterfly...I bought another mechanical keyboard about a week after I got my last MBP because the keyboard is a typo machine.
Pman17
AG
If Apple discontinues macOS updates for my Mid 2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina at WWDC 2020, I will get this model. I may wait for the next iteration. I can't believe I've had this Mac for so long! Still runs great, though the RAM is always full and FCPX can be slow at rendering.
Gigem314
AG
aggieforester05 said:

For $2,400 512gb is a joke. So sick of apple being so stingy with storage considering how cheap it is and unreplaceable it is in their products and the premium they charge.
Yeah it's practically impossible to find a 512GB in stores these days, and when you do it's only on top of the line models. However, it is still possible to up the storage for a couple hundred directly from Apple...which is what I will do when I upgrade.
Post removed:
by user
aggieforester05
AG
third coast.. said:

I swapped out hard drives on my 2012 mbp. Went from 512 regular to a 1tb ssd.
I'm about to do the same on my 2015, but it's no longer possible on the newer models.
tk for tu juan
Last year the left cooling fan stopped working on my late 2013 15" MBP. I have been debating on replacing the fan or just waiting to upgrade to a newer MBP. With the complaints on the keyboard and cooling concerns on the post 2016 MBP I have been waiting for the upgrade. This 16" MBP finally seems like a good option. Probably wait around 6 months for any issues to appear as my lap burns while working in lightroom or photoshop.

Gigem314
AG
third coast.. said:

I swapped out hard drives on my 2012 mbp. Went from 512 regular to a 1tb ssd.
I went to a 512 ssd on my 2011 which helped it A LOT. But then shortly after, my graphics went out. Apparently there was a recall on it a few years ago that I completely missed. I took a chance and mailed it off to a company in Alabama for a few hundred dollars, and they fixed it. But no guarantee it will last.

I'm really hoping it can hang on another year or two.
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.