Lost a HD on my gaming computer yesterday

768 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LoudestWHOOP!
76Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The WD 1TB HD is suddenly not mapping on my gaming computer. It is several years old so I assume it has died. What/how can I check to verify. Some years ago I had a SATA cable go bad on another device so I guess it could be that. Is there a way to wake up a dead HD. It's not a huge loss because there are only game files and photos stored there and a few apps. I had to replace the OS drive with an SSD a few years ago. The case has three more HD bays so I'm just going to install a 2TB gaming HD. It seems that my backup HD which is connected to my router is also inaccessible but it does map. That could be a sharing issue. I would appreciate thoughts. Thank you.
Tom Cardy
AG
Check cables or try it with another computer first before assuming it died.

If you decide to replace it, consider a SSD or m.2.
76Ag
AG
Opened up the case and checked the connections. Started it up and now the drive is back. I had already ordered another HD. What happens if I change where the SATA connections are when I install the new drive? I have two more ports but things are tight on the mother board. I now don't trust that original HD but I'm going to vacuum/blow out everything when I install the new HD. I do not want to mess things up doing this, though.
Ark03
AG
I wouldn't assume it's still good - when they die you frequently have more and more issues getting a drive to spin up. I'd save everything you want off of it while the drive is up, then use Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool to test the drive.

Definitely save what you can first. If the drive is full of errors it may have less functionality after testing.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
76Ag
AG
I installed a new 2TB HD to use in the place of the one that disappeared on me, even though it is back. I took the PC out on the patio and blew it out with a leaf blower and also used canned air to blow out all the power and SATA connections. I wanted to name this new drive but it is telling me I need "administrative rights" to do this. This is silly since this I my gaming PC that I built and no one else ever uses. I built it years ago and I am not sure if I set up a user name and password back then. I have some I can try but my question is: where do I enter them to log on? When I get the message I get no opportunity to enter the credentials. Where do I go to log on and can I just use my Xbox user name and password?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
We use the free Veeam Endpoint backup with 2TB USB drives for desktops and laptops especially before upgrading a PC's HDD.

Veeam Windows Endpoint Server Backup Free
Ark03
AG
LoudestWHOOP! said:

We use the free Veeam Endpoint backup with 2TB USB drives for desktops and laptops especially before upgrading a PC's HDD.

I have a Veeam job running a backup to my NAS. It works great until it doesn't ... it seems about every three months or so it craps out and stops recognizing my NAS, then I have to jump through hoops to get it re-added.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Ark03 said:

LoudestWHOOP! said:

I have a Veeam job running a backup to my NAS. It works great until it doesn't ... it seems about every three months or so it craps out and stops recognizing my NAS, then I have to jump through hoops to get it re-added.
Thanks for the heads up
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.