Wifi 6 routers

863 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by eric76
Ajollyag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have experience with the new 802.11ax protocol routers?

Which ones have you heard are the best?
Any good mesh ones out there?
Looking to buy one for when my new house is built. Dont trust netgear.
Jethro95
AG
If you're doing a new build I would skip mesh and run Ethernet to dedicated access points. Take a look at what you can do with a Ubiquiti system.
Ajollyag
Jethro95 said:

If you're doing a new build I would skip mesh and run Ethernet to dedicated access points. Take a look at what you can do with a Ubiquiti system.

Wouldnt that mean my devices would disconnect and connect to a different router when i move to different rooms through the house? I want it to be seamless and not have to worry about my phone disconnecting.
Vade281
AG
My phone disconnects even with Mesh. It could just be the way Hearthstone works, I don't know.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
ajolly said:

Jethro95 said:

Wouldnt that mean my devices would disconnect and connect to a different router when i move to different rooms through the house? I want it to be seamless and not have to worry about my phone disconnecting.

You would set the whole system up and have each AP using the same SSID so you wouldn't know/care which AP you were connected to.

You wouldn't have downloads failing or streams stopping or anything. Each AP would just be handing you off, which I believe ill be the same with the mesh...

The main difference is just that your APs would all be connected back to a router/switch vs a mesh where they're all wirelessly connected to each other.

Jethro95
AG
Not necessarily. Ubiquiti and other systems can do the hand off between access points seamlessly. I never know which access point my devices are on or if it's 2.4 or 5 gig unless I look.
aggieforester05
AG
My experience in the past is that the APs wouldn't always hand off when you needed them to. It might have changed since then, but I've installed several mesh systems and using google Wifi at my house for years. The mesh systems have worked beautifully for me.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
aggieforester05 said:

My experience in the past is that the APs wouldn't always hand off when you needed them to. It might have changed since then, but I've installed several mesh systems and using google Wifi at my house for years. The mesh systems have worked beautifully for me.

Probably more to do with specific setups than some sort of hardware limitation.

I've used Ubiquiti for the last 2-3 years and haven't ever had any issues with handoffs.

That said, I've been testing the Orbi 6 Wifi mesh setup lately and love it.
pnut02
AG
With mesh, you're still going to hand off between router/satellites.
I'm a fan of Ubiquiti and have been running their products for several years now. No issues with Netgear either.
eric76
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

ajolly said:

Jethro95 said:

You would set the whole system up and have each AP using the same SSID so you wouldn't know/care which AP you were connected to.

You wouldn't have downloads failing or streams stopping or anything. Each AP would just be handing you off, which I believe ill be the same with the mesh...

The main difference is just that your APs would all be connected back to a router/switch vs a mesh where they're all wirelessly connected to each other.
Having multiple APs with the same access point name can present an issue. Typically, the radio will connect to the first AP it sees that matches. It might be the best signal or it might be the worst signal.

Also, if you have the same access point name on multiple APs, you want to make absolutely sure that the frequencies for each AP do not overlap the frequencies of any ofther AP with the same name. If you don't, every AP that has the same name and is using the same frequencies will consider themselves to be the proper AP and will respond to the traffic. This can get very confusing in a hurry and will probably result in quite an increase in network traffic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.