Time travel

8,738 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Caesar4
TexAgs91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've been discussing time travel in the Q anon thread in politics, which obviously doesn't belong in politics. The problem is there really isn't any board on texags that's ideally suited for physics (and space travel) discussions. I recognize that The Nerdery is more about tech discussions, but I guess this is the closest match, and the general board is a circus. If it shouldn't go here then I re-request the mods create a science/physics/rocketry type board.

Here's some clips of what was discussed:
Bobcat06 said:

Tesla was the Serbian god of Lightning. He re-invented the way people view electricity. His inventions are legendary. He caused a man made lightening storm. He created an earthquake in NYC. He supplied Colorado Springs with wireless electricity in the 1890s. At the same time as cattle drives, he had widescale production of a technology we still don't have today.

He invented 3 phase electronics to get a raise and Edison fired him and stole the invention. He has similar stories. Similar stories of getting screwed over by Westinghouse and J P Morgan. Eventually, he gave up on dealing with industrialist and became a hermit. That was around 1906. He spent the next 40 years in isolation working on redefining the scientific understanding of gravity, time space continuum, relativity, and magnetism.

Upon his death, his notes were seized by J Edgar Hoover, but since Hoover wasn't a genius electrical engineer he needed someone to review and translate them. So Hoover got an MIT professor specializing in High Voltage applications to study Tesla's notes. That professor was John Trump.

A few years later, John Trump and Robert Van de Graaff (of generator fame) formed the High Voltage Engineering Coorporation. John Trump passed away in 1985. Donald John Trump has often cited that he was close with his namesake uncle.

I'm skeptical of this time travel talk, but if anyone could have discovered time travel, Telsa is a leading candidate. If Telsa discovered it, John Trump would have learned about it. If I was John Trump and I would be very careful what information I would have given it to J Edgar Hoover, but I may not have wanted those secrets erased from history either. It's not far fetched that at the end of his life, he may have divulged some secrets to a close relative.

CrottyKid said:

I am just playing along here. I believe any time distortion to be so miniscule as to not qualify as time travel.

BUT, what if Einstein was only mostly right about relativity? What if he had the concept right, but our physics rules are wrong? What if Tesla was better or more accurate?

PMC2012 said:

If y'all care to ponder time travel in all of this context I would say do not think of it in the sense as back to the future. Time travel for people or objects is probably not possible. However time travel for information is much more likely. You do not need to send someone into the past or future merely the information one would want. This makes the task of time travel much easier. Information can be encoded in many ways. Ie Morse code with lights on boats in the middle of the sea. If you were to be able to accelerate that light being used to send Morse code even a fraction quicker you'd be time traveling information.

But I do not think that is what's at play here. The looking glass gets its name from Alice in wonderland or something like that. We already know hrc has a creep friend she would email that likes to go by the Mad Hatter.

TexAgs91 said:

Tesla has a cult following and some people now believe his capabilities are magical. Meanwhile, Einstein's Relativity and General Relativity have been tested in such extreme conditions in reality that although no serious scientist is prepared to say Einstein is 100% correct, he is 100% correct in environments and energies all the way from the ordinary to energy levels equivalent to within fractions of a second after the Big Bang.

It's possible to go forward in time by travelling at significant fractions of the speed of light or near large gravitational sources like black holes or neutron stars.

Time travel back in time is sort of possible. But it involves entering a wormhole and exiting the other end of the wormhole which is orbiting a black hole near the speed of light and then travelling back in normal space back to the entrance of the wormhole at close to the speed of light which would only allow you to travel back in time enough to see yourself enter the black hole, but not far enough back to prevent yourself from entering the black hole and cause any paradox.

Travelling significantly forward in time can be achieved within 100 years or so. Traveling semi-backwards in time as described above will not be possible to do for probably millennia, if ever, and would gain you hardly anything.

It is extremely doubtful that Tesla has achieved anything that put anything Einstein's equations regarding time travel in question.

In response to PMC2012:
TexAgs91 said:

With quantum mechanics, it is possible to send information instantly. But you wouldn't be able to understand it without additional information required to decipher it. That information can only be sent at the speed of light.

Bobcat06 said:

This subject of Einstein's hypocrisy has been beaten to death, but it needs to be addressed here.

Einstein's work on relativity was made possible by Michelson and Morley debunking the concept of a luminiferous aether. Luminiferous aether was the idea that electromagnetic waves (e.g. light) could only propagate in certain medium.

However, when confronted with the relativistic nature of gravity, Einstein is painted into a corner. So to explain relativistic nature of gravity, Einstein invents a brand new concept: the time-space continuum.

I believe in relativity, but I'm skeptical in some of the explanations. The time-space continuum is flawed in the same reason that luminiferous aether is. Space has no properties.

TexAgs91 said:

Are you saying you believe in relativity but not general relativity? Without properties of spacetime, general relativity (which has been tested with a high degree of accuracy) falls apart.

Why can you draw only 3 lines at 90 degrees to each other? Because of the properties of space. Why do the angles of a triangle NOT add up to 180 degrees in the vicinity of black holes? Because of the properties of spacetime. Spacetime has properties of dimensions, curvature and energy density. This has been thoroughly confirmed. Frame dragging is one effect of the properties of spacetime.

I identify as Ultra-MAGA
TexAgs91
AG
ajolly said:

Was talking to a friend about time travel and he said it was impossible.

He mentioned even if you were to be able to move at the speed of light, how would you be able to not hit something?

Now im not a genius or anything, but maybe some of you are. How would you be able to move at the speed of light and not hit something?

Space is mostly pretty empty. If you were heading towards the moon at the speed of light, you'd have 1.3 seconds to turn out of the way. The trick is don't head towards the moon. Also it's impossible to go at the speed of light. Any speed that's less than the speed of light is fine though.

Other than moons, planets, asteroids, stars to avoid... space still isn't empty. There is on average less than one hydrogen atom per cubic meter of space. So that could cause some problems. You'd need shielding for that.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
swc93
AG
Flying through space ain't like dusting crops.

If you are on a vessel traveling at the speed of light and you walk from the back to the front; you are traveling faster than the speed of light but not really.

that's all I got.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
The current understanding is if you go faster than the speed of light you will travel through time more so than space. However you cant go faster than the speed of light without getting destroyed by a a speck of dust.

However realistic time travel I think is possible with information. We can encode information right now in light. If we can somehow speed up that light just a nanosecond faster than its normal speed you will then be transcending time with information.
goodAg80
AG
What is your question?
TexAgs91
AG
swc93 said:

Flying through space ain't like dusting crops.

If you are on a vessel traveling at the speed of light and you walk from the back to the front; you are traveling faster than the speed of light but not really.

that's all I got.

You would use the relativistic velocity addition formula.

v would be the velocity of the spacecraft. u' is your velocity inside the spacecraft, relative to the spacecraft. u is the velocity that you seem to be moving at to an outside observer. c is the speed of light.

Nothing with mass can go the speed of light, so let's say the spacecraft is moving along at 90% the speed of light. That's v=0.9c

And inside the spacecraft, relative to the spacecraft, you're moving at 0.5c

Rather than simply adding 0.9 and 0.5 together, you'd do
u=(0.9c+0.5c)/(1+(0.9c * 0.5c/c^2)) = 0.917c

So an outside observer wouldn't see you moving at 1.4c. They'd see you moving at .917c
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
boy09
AG
TexAgs91 said:

We've been discussing time travel in the Q anon thread in politics
TexAgs91
AG
boy09 said:

TexAgs91 said:

We've been discussing time travel in the Q anon thread in politics

lol yeah, I think that's more what some followers of Q are thinking rather than anything Q is actually putting out there.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
TexAgs91
AG
goodAg80 said:

What is your question?
The main thrust of the discussion is whether time travel is possible or even faster-than-light communication.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
An Ag in CO
AG
For Q anything is possible.

Quad Dog
AG
I just traveled forward in time at the rate of 1 second per second reading this post and still have no idea what the point was.
TexAgs91
AG
Quad Dog said:

I just traveled forward in time at the rate of 1 second per second reading this post and still have no idea what the point was.
Well that's good. Sometimes when you read something boring it can seem to take much longer than 1 second per second.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Bobcat06
AG
popcorn to follow this thread. will chime in later.
HossAg
AG
This is interesting considering I've recently gotten back into learning about relativity and all that good stuff. My understanding only goes as far as gravitational and velocity caused time dilation. I'd be interested to hear what people more educated on all this have found.
MGS
TexAgs91 said:

ajolly said:

He mentioned even if you were to be able to move at the speed of light, how would you be able to not hit something?

Now im not a genius or anything, but maybe some of you are. How would you be able to move at the speed of light and not hit something?

Space is mostly pretty empty. If you were heading towards the moon at the speed of light, you'd have 1.3 seconds to turn out of the way. The trick is don't head towards the moon. Also it's impossible to go at the speed of light. Any speed that's less than the speed of light is fine though.

Other than moons, planets, asteroids, stars to avoid... space still isn't empty. There is on average less than one hydrogen atom per cubic meter of space. So that could cause some problems. You'd need shielding for that.

No problem, you just use a Deflector dish.
TexAgs91
AG
MGS said:

TexAgs91 said:

ajolly said:

No problem, you just use a Deflector dish.
Or use an interstellar ramjet to ingest the hydrogen and use it in your fusion engine.

Profit $$
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Prime0882
AG
Been interesting to see the Q thread/politics folks slowly seep into the Nerdery to ask questions about their conspiracy theory stuff... Not sure what kind of help you'll actually get out of this board.
AggieFrog
AG
JRC0811 said:

Been interesting to see the Q thread/politics folks slowly seep into the Nerdery to ask questions about their conspiracy theory stuff... Not sure what kind of help you'll actually get out of this board.

Hopefully little to none. Keep the crazy on the Politics board.
TexAgs91
AG
I'm not trying to bring the Q discussion here. The question is is time travel possible, and I've moved it to here because it isn't related to Q.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
lb3
AG
MGS
lb3 said:

Does quantum entanglement permit information to travel faster than light?
Maybe, but it's still slower than subspace communication.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
lb3 said:

Does quantum entanglement permit information to travel faster than light?

My understanding is no. You can immediately know how the other of the pair turned out when you measure yours and collapse the state, but you can't force your state to be something....

So it seems more like you have a blue and red card and somebody, away from you, puts them each in an envelope and sends them up with you and with one other spaceship. When you get light years away you can each look at your envelope and you see a red card....so you know the other person sees a blue card, but that's not really useful to you and certainly wasn't faster than light information traveling. Obviously this isn't a perfect analogy, but I think it gets the understanding across as I've read about it.
TexAgs91
AG
You can measure an entangled particle and if the other entangled particle is measured, it will instantly have the same state as the first measured particle. That isn't useful communication.

If you force the state of an entangled particle thinking that you could also force the state of the other particle, that won't work. Forcing the state breaks the entanglement.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
ac04
wish i had thought of this thread, lots of potential here
Philip J Fry
AG
Laws of thermodynamics prohibit going backwards in time.
TexAgs91
AG
While we're on the topic, I'd like to throw this out there.

The flow of time is an illusion.

There's been some silly FB debates on whether time exists. It does. But the flow of time is an illusion. Can you ask "how many seconds per second does time flow?". No. That doesn't make sense. We are all 4D static space-time structures. Light exists in spacetime as 4D light cones. Whatever light intersects your 4D eyes at a particular instance is what you see at that instance in time.

The reason that we can't remember the future is like what Philip J Fry says: you must obey the laws of thermodynamics. The chemistry required to encode memories only works in one direction in time because entropy always increases. So at each point in time, you can only remember the past. And every point along the time axis of your 4D self is simultaneously (in 4-space) conscious of only one instance in time.

It's like a video file. Every frame exists at once, and each frame only shows one instance in time.

And yes, this also means that everything is predetermined and free will is out the window.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Silky Johnston
I am a certified moron, but if time travel were possible, we would have already met or have recorded history of said time traveler.
CrottyKid
AG
This is some interesting and crazy sounding stuff!
Could we learn to "remember" the future? Could we take drugs that would open the ability to remember the future? This sounds like a movie script.
Agristotle
AG
Interesting post! Can you throw out some related reading sources for those of us who would like to get a better handle on your point? Thanks.
goodAg80
AG
TexAgs91 said:

goodAg80 said:

What is your question?
The main thrust of the discussion is whether time travel is possible or even faster-than-light communication.
Is time travel possible?

My opinions (even if they are stated as fact).

Unlikely.

The theory that going faster than light allows time to flow backwards is probably only good enough for the movies. While theoretical tachyons can travel faster than light, and perhaps travel backwards in time, it is improbable that a person named TexAgs91 could transform into tachyons and then back. See below.

And so it goes for most every conceptual time travel scheme: you can be transported in time but not intact. Further, there is no guarantee you end up in the place that you want. Let's say you start at the new Texas A&M Time Travel Complex on the Rellis Campus, you walk into the portal and you come out ... floating in space millions of miles away from earth, because earth has moved in the mean time. Bummer, now you are a gelatinous blob somewhere near Titan.
TexAgs91
AG
Silky Johnston said:

I am a certified moron, but if time travel were possible, we would have already met or have recorded history of said time traveler.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
TexAgs91
AG
Agristotle said:

Interesting post! Can you throw out some related reading sources for those of us who would like to get a better handle on your point? Thanks.
Thanks. It's partially from things I've read and partially my own thoughts (i.e. the one directional memory stuff based off of what I know about thermodynamics). The book "Our Mathematical Universe" covered it briefly as well.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
TexAgs91
AG
CrottyKid said:

This is some interesting and crazy sounding stuff!
Could we learn to "remember" the future? Could we take drugs that would open the ability to remember the future? This sounds like a movie script.
No, that wouldn't work. Things like orbital mechanics are just as valid going forward or backwards in time. Chemistry does not work the same going backwards in time as it does going forwards. This is because of thermodynamics. There are many more unorganized states than there are organized states of matter. How many different ways can you organize air molecules in a room so that they're evenly distributed throughout the volume of a room? Many many more than the number of configurations where all air molecules occupy a cubic foot in the corner of the room. So it's way more likely that the room would be filled evenly with air. And that's why entropy always increases. You can't unscramble an egg. And in chemistry, you can't unburn wood. So memories only work by storing information from the past, not the future.
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
jokershady
AG
CrottyKid
AG
Good info. Thank you.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.