T-mobile

3,143 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I get a call from them 2 weeks ago. Sounded like a chit chat...thank you for being a customer for 3 years. Then she tells me "oh you now have unlimited data plan for all 6 phones at no extra charge."

I stared with 6GB plan for 6 phones for $162 three years ago and I still pay $162 today.

Then she asks how's the cell coverage in the area and in my house. I said poor. She says oh you're right but your area is getting new towers. Then she says I will send you a cell booster for your house.

Well, I got the boost set up and now my 4G is blazing fast in the house.

Pretty happy.

Ulrich
My signal was fine, but i was pretty pleased to get unlimited data for no price increase without even asking. It's the opposite of the AT&T/Spectrum model of gradually increasing your bill for no reason until it makes you mad enough to try to cancel.
YouBet
AG
God, I can't wait to fire AT&T for mobile.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I live in SW Virginia. Around cities like Roanoke,Blacksburg and surrounding smaller cities, the coverage is fine. Once I'm on rural highways and roads, the coverage is poor.

Fortunately, I do have a work Verizon phone that serves as the hot spot.

Nonetheless, I'm very happy with T-mobile.
bco2003
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Then she says I will send you a cell booster for your house.
Thanks for the report!

Did you get a booster, or a femto cell, which uses your internet connection for the backhaul back to T-Mobile?
agracer
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I get a call from them 2 weeks ago. Sounded like a chit chat...thank you for being a customer for 3 years. Then she tells me "oh you now have unlimited data plan for all 6 phones at no extra charge."

I stared with 6GB plan for 6 phones for $162 three years ago and I still pay $162 today.

Then she asks how's the cell coverage in the area and in my house. I said poor. She says oh you're right but your area is getting new towers. Then she says I will send you a cell booster for your house.

Pretty happy.

you know you can make wi-fi calls now, right?
PLUM LOCO
AG
I love T-Mo, been with them for 20+ years
AggieDruggist89
AG
bco2003 said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Then she says I will send you a cell booster for your house.
Thanks for the report!

Did you get a booster, or a femto cell, which uses your internet connection for the backhaul back to T-Mobile?

It's called Personal CellSpot and plugs into the router. Speed test shows 13 GB DL which is higher than the wifi speed.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Yes, I've been using wifi calling for years. Great for when I'm in a basement of big buildings. But 4G LTE call quality seems better. T-mobile recommended I turn off wifi calling when using the Personal CellSpot.

agracer said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Pretty happy.

you know you can make wi-fi calls now, right?
Ag12thman
AG
We are with Cricket Wireless right now and I am already not liking it. (We moved over from AT&T recently, but Cricket is owned by AT&T.) With our Android phones (Google Pixels and Samsung Notes), it looks like we will never have any of the Enhanced Wireless features like Wi-Fi Calling, Advanced Text Messaging, etc. Also, when I am in a really populated area where a lot of people are using their cellular data, Cricket kicks us out in favor of those on AT&T. That concerns me for emergency situations that could happen in the future, to say the least.

That said, I have a couple of questions:

(A) Do you have any recommendations for getting a really good family plan for 3 phones?

(B) Do you have all of the features I mentioned above on T-Mobile?
EMY92
AG
Yes, you get those features with T-Mobile.

One weakness that I've found with T-Mobile is that it's terrible in rural areas. No signal in many cases (for example, a good portion of the drive between Waco and BCS, I've streamed games on WatchESPN between there on AT&T, on T-Mobile, outside of Hearne I get no service.

However, my bill on T-Mobile is less than half what I used to pay on AT&T and my data speeds in town are 10x what I ever got on AT&T.
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks for that info. That could present a problem for me since I live in a rural area. We went with Cricket because of the vastly reduced monthly bill. It has been great for our budget, but we were not told we would not get the enhanced wireless services and also not have Wi-Fi calling capabilities before we switched. The biggest problem, though, is getting booted off of the towers when in an area of high cellular data usage. I've experienced this a couple of times while in town/city during prime shopping times. One time, for example, I had gone to the grocery store while it was pretty packed before Thanksgiving for some things and had a question for my wife. I could not get a call nor a text message to her to ask the question.
gibby03
AG
So I signed up for Altice Mobile, company that bought out Suddenlink. Offered up $20 unlimited talk, text and data. Left my wife on AT&T for now because we are paying off her phone anyway.

Anyway, so far so good. I was skeptical when talking to them until they told me they use the Sprint Network then switches to AT&T if no Sprint service. Also, once T-Mobile buys out Sorint I get those towers as well. Have the same LTE coverage in my house as I had before and back home when I went home for Christmas in East Texas. If I can stick with it I'll move my wife over and cut our cell phone bill from AT&T at $160 for two unlimited to $40 with Altice.
Ag12thman
AG
Okay - so my family and I signed up for T-Mobile last night and we are having very, very inconsistent service with it so far at our rural residence. Last night we had several dropped calls and then some periods of calls with no drops. Today it is back to mostly 1 bar and almost no service and we cannot keep calls from dropping on matter where we stand inside our outside our house. The folks at T-Mobile said we'd have good 4G signal based on their signal strength test. Any recommendations from anyone? Is this probably just not going to work for us?
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag12thman said:

Okay - so my family and I signed up for T-Mobile last night and we are having very, very inconsistent service with it so far at our rural residence. Last night we had several dropped calls and then some periods of calls with no drops. Today it is back to mostly 1 bar and almost no service and we cannot keep calls from dropping on matter where we stand inside our outside our house. The folks at T-Mobile said we'd have good 4G signal based on their signal strength test. Any recommendations from anyone? Is this probably just not going to work for us?

Call them and ask for a home cell booster. I will post a picture when I get home. Don't panic. You will be fine.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ask for this.

Ag12thman
AG
Thank you! I will give that a shot.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Let us know! Call them now.
Ag12thman
AG
They are going to definitely get me one. I appreciate it!!!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Ag12thman said:

Well???
Ag12thman
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Ag12thman said:

Well???
We never made it to that point, even though I wish we would have. We had to go ahead and move back to AT&T, unfortunately. (And I am really not at all happy with AT&T as they put all sorts of limiations on our unlocked Samsung and Google Pixel phones like not allowing HD Voice, Wi-Fi Calling, Advanced Text Messaging, etc.) After talking to some of our neighbors, nothing else is very strong at our rural address. We could not afford time to wait on a CellSpot as my wife was worried about her elderly mother not being able to reach us while we waited for a CellSpot or other options that might, in the end, not resolve the issue. Our Internet connection is not very strong at our address either. I really wanted to see if T-Mobile work, but we just didn't get there.

I really appreciate all the advice and help, though. Really do! Thank you.
RockOn
Mint Mobile
Shaun05
AG
Im in the process switching from AT&T to Red Mobile (AT&T MVNO). My office only gets AT&T coverage for some reason.
agracer
AG
Do you not have internet service? WiFi calling is great and I've used it in the mountains where I had no coverage and the calls were crystal clear.
LostInLA07
AG
Their pricing looks great. Which network do they use?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
I have been with TMobile for over 10 years and they are great. I travel to Europe once a year and they suggested to purchase a $10 a month package and I get data and phone calls at no extra charge. They then let me me cancel after a month.

I do not live in BCS but have a BCS (979) number. I did get a phone call at 3 am phone call in Sydney from a student looking for his friend. (no charge btw).

In Europe every time you cross a border, you get a text message welcoming you to (name your country) with a phone number to call if you have any questions.

They call from time to time to see how things are going. On one call they reminded me that I qualified for a veterans discount and a senior citizens discount.

Who do you know that will call you to let you know that they can lower your price.

I have used AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and would never use any of them ever again. When I discovered they (I think they were the first) had no contracts and all billing is month to month, I jumped to them.

If you have TMobile and are having technical problems dial 611 and they will solve the problem.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
AggieDruggist89
AG
All true
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.