Android Phones of Late 2019 - Recommendations, Please

2,206 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieDruggist89
Ag12thman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did a quick Nerdery forum search and do not see a thread that has been posted on this for late 2019, so here goes:

I'm in the market for a new (or year or two old at the most) Android cell phone. What do you recommend and why?

Ones that I have looked into somewhat so far:

• Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and Note 10 Plus
  • Pixel 3 XL (and have looked briefly at the 4 XL)

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated since I am not up-to-speed on what's out there, what's good, what to stay away from, etc. Thanks.
Gary79Ag
AG
Got a Galaxy 9+ earlier this year and am happy camper...

I've got AT&T and discovered if I purchase the phone online from ATT.com versus in their store, I save a little over $200 so that's what I did.
aka The Lavaca County Legend
AgDaddy08-11
S
Currently have had a (Verizon) Pixel 3 for about 3 months and I'm very happy with it. Previous phone was a Pixel 1. From what I've seen the Pixel 4 doesn't have a fingerprint reader or very big battery. Not sure on the 4XL battery size though.
Endo Ag
AG
Waited for details on the pixel 4. Bought pixel 3 at BBY for $350 last weekend.

Considered iPhone. Wanted to go that route for iMessage compatibility, but google assistant vs Siri was no brainer to stay Android.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
Since you are looking at the larger screen size, Pixel 4XL should be on your radar in addition to Pixel 3XL.

3XL
+ costs less
+ camera is top-rated and will get astrophotography mode; same as 4XL
+ finger print scanner on back is nice
+ will get the live transcribe apps coming with 4XL
+ has unlimited original* quality photo cloud storage

4XL
+ "motion sense" (aka phone radar) will allow slightly faster interaction with your phone by waking all the sensors when you reach for it. It also turns things off when it senses you are away. Hopfully the functionality of "motion sense" will expand to apps beyond swiping music in the future through google software updates.
+/- face unlock is super fast, but personally i liked the fingerprint scanner on back of Pixel 3-1 models.
+ 90Hz screen looks great, but will drain battery a little faster than if 60Hz only. (90Hz can be enabled/disabled, or by default google tries to turn it on and off when needed.)
+ 4XL a slightly larger battery than 3XL. Battery performance will vary based on how you use some of the new features.
+ some improvement to the dual sim capability, but i haven't understood all the details yet.
+ live HDR editing on the screen when taking a photo. You can adjust on-screen and then get what you see on screen.
Ag12thman
AG
Endo Ag said:

Waited for details on the pixel 4. Bought pixel 3 at BBY for $350 last weekend.

Considered iPhone. Wanted to go that route for iMessage compatibility, but google assistant vs Siri was no brainer to stay Android.
I tried to go back to iPhone (my original smart phone), but just could not do it. I like Android so much better. Didn't realize Best Buy carry the Pixel 3. I'd want the XL variety, though. I will have to check the local store.
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks for sharing all of that. I'll check it out more closely on the Google website.

I found OnePlus 7 Pro last night and was looking it over. Anyone have any experience with that phone?
Marrow00
Read reviews on the Pixel 4 & 4XL. Most say phone is awesome and battery life is poor. Google may be able to tweak it with software patches but just be aware of its current battery state.
Ag12thman
AG
Marrow00 said:

Read reviews on the Pixel 4 & 4XL. Most say phone is awesome and battery life is poor. Google may be able to tweak it with software patches but just be aware of its current battery state.
I noticed that and was surprised that the battery life ratings are so poor. That's a bit concerning, so definitely looking at other options. I really like what I see in the Galaxy Note 10 +, but it's also pretty pricey.
BourbonAg
AG
I have been very happy with my Note 10+.
cena05
AG
Oneplus!
Quad Dog
AG
I've been happy with my Pixel 3 for a few months. If you wait a little longer the price may drop more on the Pixel 3 when the 4 comes out. From what I can tell the difference between the two doesn't look game changing.
dubi
AG
B&H Photo has phones and no sales tax.
Cromagnum
AG
S10 here (4g version). No complaints here.
tfunk02
AG
I've had Samsungs and I've had Pixel/Nexus phones. THE BEST experience I've ever had with a phone is my current OnePlus 7 Pro. All the RAM a phone could currently need, and pretty much basic Android with more options. Camera is as good as my Pixel 2XL after the software updates.

Skip the big name brands and go with the OnePlus. There's a reason why MKBHD always goes back to the OnePlus phones...
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks to you all for the great recommendations and advice.

I've actually been looking at the OnePlus 7 Pro and watched a couple of videos on it. The price is outstanding compared to some of the other big name Android brands, like Samsung. I'm going to have to really take a much closer look at them after reading your post, though.

Who is MKBHD, though?

Thanks!!!
hph6203
AG
One of the biggest tech YouTubers, has had the opportunity to interview several big name mainstream people like Elon. Primarily reviews phones.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
AggieDruggist89
AG
C@LAg said:

dubi said:

B&H Photo has phones and no sales tax.
in only half of the states.

Well, for those states that do pay sales tax, you can get a "Payboo" credit card from B&H who will credit you the amount of sales tax you pay. Win, win, win for you, state, and B&H.
aggie_wes
AG
Pixel 3
RockOn
I still use my Pixel 2 and I love it. Looks like theyre selling on amazon for $200. I would totally go for that again.
OjoDelMono77
AG
I've had 3 OnePlus phones and they've all been great. Bailed on paying flagship price tags years ago and haven't looked back.

Currently have a OP6, with two other OnePlus devices in our family. Everyone loves their phones.

AustinAg2K
I got a Pixel 4 about a week ago and I'm loving it so far. I was nervous about the battery life, but so far I haven't found it to be an issue. It makes it the whole day for me, and I charge it overnight. Maybe I should be expecting more, but that's enough for me.
Aggie71013
AG
Wife and I are both overdue for an upgrade. We keep phones for 3-5 years. Worth waiting for more 5g phones to be on the market and for them to come down in price?
AggieDruggist89
AG
I gave my 3 year old LG V20 to my son. He loves it. I bought a brand new unopened box of LG V20 for $150 and I love it.

The last Flagship phone with replaceable battery. The new replaceable batteries are so good now. Also inserted a 512 GB micro SD.

Thinking about picking up another box or 2 of V20.
AggieDruggist89
AG
DP
Ag12thman
AG
Thanks for the info to all who have responded. I've found a really good deal on a Galaxy Note 9 that I am thinking hard about going with. It's used, but looks brand new and was well cared for.

My son actually has the V20 and it truly has been a good phone. It's only the battery that we've had issues with. I didn't realize it was replaceable, so I appreciate this info!
Aero95
AG
I'm happy with this replacement battery in my V20:
Perfine V20 Battery BL-44E1F 4100mAh Replacement for LG V20 H990 H910 VS995 LS997 Removable Battery [3 Years Warranty] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MNQ9BGY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_vBeWDb5XCF1PM

Just bought a NOS V30+ for my wife for $190.
Ag12thman
AG
Great! Thanks for the recommendations.
jm94
AG
Costco will have a Black Friday deal on the Samsung S10 ($430) and S10+ ($530) for Verizon. It doesn't look like it'll require a new line, but I'm having trouble feeling certain about that after trying to parse the fine print:

"with qualified activation on Verizon"

Deal starts 11/22.
jm94
AG
^
I pulled the trigger on the s10+ deal above, by ordering one at Costco a few days ago. When I show up Friday, they'll cancel that order and create a new one with the new price. This way, I have one with my name on it, in case they otherwise sell out. (Tactic thanks to slickdeals forum)
jm94
AG
^ I went back to Costco as it opened at 10. My phone was there waiting for me. It still took me 2.5 hours to get out of there.
AggieDruggist89
AG
jm94 said:

^ I went back to Costco as it opened at 10. My phone was there waiting for me. It still took me 2.5 hours to get out of there.

Apple conspiracy!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.