Sony's Crystal Cinema and the rise of micro-LEDs

640 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tamusc
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/13/sony-crystal-cinema-16k-home-theater/

Quote:

Much like Samsung's Cinema LED (Onyx) system, Sony's Crystal LED tech uses micro-LED modules, each 16x18 inches in size at 360 x 360 resolution with three tiny LEDs for each pixel. The technology works like OLED, but is much brighter, allowing for extremely high 1,000 nit brightness, 10-bits of grayscale, very accurate color reproduction (140 percent of sRGB) and "spectacular" 3D, as Sony described it.

By putting together modules, you can create screens with different sizes and resolutions. Sony will offer it any way you want, but some sample configurations include 1080p with 18 modules at 8 feet x 4 feet, 4K size at 16 feet wide (72 modules), 8K at 32 feet x 18 feet (288 modules) and 16K and 63 feet x 18 feet (576 modules).

Only difference is Sony is going to be selling to the public. Granted, the tech right now is insanely priced. For example, the 4K 16' version would cost you $720,000. That being said, it will be interesting to see what there leads us in the next 7-10 years.

MW03
AG

https://pro.sony/en_GR/solutions/home-cinema/led-video-walls-luxury-home-cinema
tamusc
AG
MicroLEDs and illuminating quantum dots (not that passive stuff used in TVs an monitors today) will replace OLED as the picture quality leaders once the manufacturing costs are brought down. Both technologies should offer equivalent or better picture quality without the issues OLED panels suffer from like burn in and slower pixel response times.
spanky
AG
Not sure I trust the price to ever go down if Sony is the only player
tamusc
AG
spanky said:

Not sure I trust the price to ever go down if Sony is the only player
There's a ton of players in the MicroLED space. Heck, even Apple has dumped a ton of money into MicroLED development. The tech just isn't quite there yet for mass production and probably won't be for another 3-5 years in any meaningful quantities.
spanky
AG
Just a jab at Sony pricing. Yes, I'm sure I'll buy in one day from some bargain competitor pushing ads in the menu bar.
tamusc
AG
spanky said:

Just a jab at Sony pricing. Yes, I'm sure I'll buy in one day from some bargain competitor pushing ads in the menu bar.
Oh I'd totally agree with you if Sony was the only player, lol.

Fortunately even TCL has shown off a MicroLED display at several shows this year, so there's the bargain competitor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.