TCL TV w/ Harmony Hub (Power On)

7,085 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by RK
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 6-series TCL and have everything set up and working w/ a Harmony Hub, however I cannot figure out how to get the hub to power on the TV (power off works). Has anyone managed to successfully make this work? Brief internet'ing was not particularly helpful in resolving this (some say they can get it to work, others say it's not possible).
spanky
AG
You sending IR from the remote or hub? I know I have one Samsung TV that can't be powered on from wifi or apps (only power off); it must have IR to power on. Do you have the hub set up to send IR to the TV with a blaster? Do you have the remote configured to send IR for TV commands?
FtWorthHorn
Well you know it's getting the RF signal to the TV since you can make it power off. Is it possible that the Harmony can send a "power toggle" signal instead of a "power on" signal? Could be that the power on signal is wrong in their database.
tamusc
AG
It likely a configuration thing on the Harmony Hub. I have a Harmony Hub and a TCL 6 series TV that it can power on or off without issue. Go back and double check the power control settings in the Harmony software.
spanky
AG
I don't think the Harmony uses RF to control devices. It sends RF to the hub, and then the hub uses wifi, IR, or bluetooth to control the devices.

The elite can also send IR out via the remote as well, but you have to configure that in the settings. However, I'm not sure if that is the best way to do things if you are gonna use voice control like Alexa to turn things on. Probably best to use a blaster connected to the hub to send IR to the TV for voice control. No idea if the remote still sends out IR from a voice command, and what are the chances it is even pointed at the TV while on the docking station?

If the TV is not receptive to wifi while in an off state, that would explain why the TV does not come on but will still turn off. Of course, this could be a discreet code thing with TCL too. Don't know anything about that.
RK
AG
Quote:

If the TV is not receptive to wifi while in an off state, that would explain why the TV does not come on but will still turn off.
this is what i was envisioning as the problem (i'm currently using the hub in a media closet upstairs and not a IR blaster).

tamusc - are you using a IR blaster or is it powering on directly from the hub? i've tried the three power buttons for the hub (green, red, white) but none of them will power on. i do see a response from the light around the tv power button when the tv is off and i hit the red (power off) button on the hub...so i feel like it's able to see a signal....just not the right one to power it up.
tamusc
AG
RK said:

Quote:

If the TV is not receptive to wifi while in an off state, that would explain why the TV does not come on but will still turn off.
this is what i was envisioning as the problem (i'm currently using the hub in a media closet upstairs and not a IR blaster).

tamusc - are you using a IR blaster or is it powering on directly from the hub? i've tried the three power buttons for the hub (green, red, white) but none of them will power on. i do see a response from the light around the tv power button when the tv is off and i hit the red (power off) button on the hub...so i feel like it's able to see a signal....just not the right one to power it up.

I'm not using any external IR blasters, just the Hub. I would suggest deleting the TV from the Harmony software and then adding it back to the Harmony software. I think something is set up wrong there, like it's trying to use the Power Off command as a toggle or something rather than using discrete On and discrete Off commands.
RK
AG
removed the device and added back with no success. it fails to enable the roku IP capabilities when running the device setup...so, maybe that has something to do with it. looking online it seems like some can get it to work while others can't . guess i'll try to run a blaster to the tv and see if that works.
spanky
AG
I have my blaster about 9 ft from my Samsung tv and it works fine
RK
AG
I got it to work via a jacked up process. Still can't get the power on command to work but the "input usb" button on the harmony app wakes it up. So I just use that to power on in an activity then add a step to change to the desired input. Whatever. It works and I didn't have to mess with an external blaster.
tamusc
AG
RK said:

I got it to work via a jacked up process. Still can't get the power on command to work but the "input usb" button on the harmony app wakes it up. So I just use that to power on in an activity then add a step to change to the desired input. Whatever. It works and I didn't have to mess with an external blaster.

Odd that you had to do that, but glad you got it working.
spanky
AG
Seems like if the usb input worked, any of the input buttons should wake it up. I usually don't really care for CEC since it seems to have a lot of hiccups, but I wonder if there is also possibly a CEC command from an input source that could also wake the TV and work as a power on.
RK
AG
i was surprised that was the only input signal that would wake it up. i'll dick around with cec stuff later when i have the patience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.