Building a new gaming PC...thinking out loud

956 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tamusc
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For giggles I decided I would build an ITX box this time - all my previous builds were always ATX and I'm just tired of the largish box sitting on my desk. I've decided already on a case - Fractal Design Define Nano. Not exactly a small ITX case, but it will allow me flexibility in cooling options I'll need (front/top 240 radiator if desired).

But I haven't really decided on CPU or CPU cooling yet though. If I go Intel I'd go i7-9700k. If I go AMD probably 3700x. Thoughts? Mostly for gaming, but I also do my photo editing of RAW files on this machine with Capture One.

Thoughts on air vs AIO water cooling? I've been running Noctua air coolers for as long as I can remember but AIO water would fit better in this case and probably be easier to setup as well. Worried about failures though...

I'll be going with a hybrid air/water cooled graphics card as well as I've read some heat related issues with large cards in this case. The EVGA hybrids use a blower + radiator which would be perfect for this case. Probably a 2080 super if I can find one in stock, otherwise I'll get a 2080 ti and cry a little.

The reference 5700xt is a blower - does anybody know if it runs cooler than the NVidia cards? Would certainly be a better deal. But those cards are too new to have any hybrid options out yet.

I'll be using all this to drive a 1440p 144hz monitor of some sorts (to replace an existing 1440 60hz monitor I've currently got). Thoughts on some of the new monitors coming out? As compared to say some of the Asus/Acer options that have been around awhile?

Vade281
AG
I'd get in touch with Terk. He's been doing a lot of streams about building PCs and what not.
aggiebq03+
I went Acer X34 when I built mine last fall. 3440x1440 IPS panel and overclocks to 120hz

Love it so much I'm buying an Acer ED7 (VA panel version for half the price) for work.

Highly recommend.
Post pics here once you build it.

javajaws
AG
Ended up not going with the ITX due to various reasons (mostly parts availability). Instead I went ATX with a compact ATX case:

Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Intel i7-9700
G.Skill TridentZ 2x16gb
EVGA 2080 super XC Ultra Gaming
2 x 1tb Samsung EVO 970 M.2 NVMe
Corsair RMX 750w
Fractal Design Define C
Noctua NH-D15S

I wanted the tempered glass version of the Define C but can't find it in stock anywhere. Still looking...

AND I managed to snag an LG 27GL850-B at 1am this morning while briefly in stock on Amazon (thanks to txt alerts!).

javajaws
AG
Got it all built this weekend just in time for Borderlands 3:

tamusc
AG
Looks great!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.