New Home Audio

1,426 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Z100
SWLAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking into audio options for a new home build. Want to have multiple zones but not sure the best set up. I would like to have a 5:1 set up in the living room for movies, 2 speakers in the kitchen, 2 on the patio, and possibly 2 in the carport. Would like to have remote access through my phone to control volume and songs, maybe even which speakers are to be on (that's not a must though). Looking at doing all in ceiling mounted speakers and don't need the best sound possible just something to have music or games on for when we have people over.

What are yalls suggestions for receiver/equipment and speakers? What all am I going to need to do this correct way. Not looking at spending a fortune but want a decent setup. I like the idea of wired speakers but I keep hearing people say to go wireless.
pasquale
AG
I have had a Denon and Onkyo with great luck but I just use 2 zone for my backyard. Zone 1 are speakers behind the pool and a center speaker on my patio. My zone 2 is the speakers under my patio cover. I think Denon has something called Heos which is a type of wireless but I never tried it
YouBet
AG
I did Sonos and it works awesome. It was easier. For me, messing around with a receiver is like opening a book written in Chinese.
Azariah
AG
Sonos is good, but pretty expensive. Before you drop big bucks, take a look at multiroom audio with just Alexa. It's gotten pretty good.
aTm2004
AG
Are you looking to have everything tied back to 1 location for manual control outside of your phone? If so, I'd recommend getting the Sonos Connect, which will allow you to control non-Sonos speakers via their app. You can also do this by having a separate Connect hooked up to each speaker "zone." This should allow you to control everything via your phone and/or Alexa/Google but not be tied to Sonos speakers.
spanky
AG
I've been using Sonos for audio in our homes for over 10 years. Way easier than using any zones off of a receiver used in a media or living room. I'm a very frugal person, but I do like ease of use and decent sound.

Rundown of our simple setup:

2 dedicated equipment closets - one on each side of the house; one houses most the theater stuff and the other is mostly the audio stuff for the house

~10 zones using mostly connects and a couple of connect amps

Amps for the connects - I use old receivers with analog multichannel inputs. 6.1/7.1 AV receivers can power 3 zones (fronts, surrounds, center/surround back). Just plug the RCA cables from the connects to the desired multichannel inputs, and then connect your zone speakers to the corresponding speaker outputs. Set the receiver to the multichannel input and set the max volume you want (this is good if you have kids that could blow speakers). I install volume knobs in each room (fixed), but you don't have to do this if you want to control volume from Sonos (variable). I leave the amps on all the time. I have amps that have been running over 10 years with zero issues. Most were either old receivers I quit using or receivers folks gave to me.

Speakers - I typically use Monoprice in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. Cheap and decent quality. For areas like over a sink or in a shower, I occasionally use a stereo speaker (L/R in one speaker).

Sources - great thing about sonos is you can plug additional sources into any connect and all other zones can see it. All the satellite receivers have their analog hookups plugged into a connect so you can throw their audio anywhere. For my music library, I have a Plex media server which works with Sonos just like any streaming service. Sonos can also see your iTunes playlists with a little directory configuration. If your living room/media room is a separate 5.1 or greater system, you will need a connect for it to be part of the system. Could also do a sonos soundbar/wireless speaker system to achieve this or even try out the new Ikea/sonos speakers for surrounds.

Alexa - Alexa control is great, but there are some limits. You can only assign one streaming service and she can't play from your local library. So if you tell her to play an artist, it will be from Amazon music, and if you tell her to play a station, it will be from your assigned music service. I just use the app or PC controller to play from my local library. You'll also need to name your zones so that Alexa can easily understand you, and she will only stream Amazon music on one zone unless you set up some sharing stuff. I just use the sonos app for streaming separate stuff to different zones. One cool feature is that when somebody says Alexa in the house, it lowers the sonos volume for a moment so she can hear a command.

Costs - most my amps were free or throwaways, and I bought all my connects used on eBay ($150-200 each). Many of my connects have been running for >10 years. I did all the wiring myself (it's just speaker wire).

Amazon now has a product out (echo link) that is similar to sonos connects, but there are some serious limitations from what I've read. It can't share audio inputs to other links (zones); it's just a local passthrough, the volume lowering with command feature that I mentioned doesn't exist, and you can't set volume to fixed; just variable.
spanky
AG
BTW, if somebody can figure out how to get my Nest Hello to announce somebody is at the door on all my Sonos zones, you'll be my new best friend.
YouBet
AG
aTm2004 said:

Are you looking to have everything tied back to 1 location for manual control outside of your phone? If so, I'd recommend getting the Sonos Connect, which will allow you to control non-Sonos speakers via their app. You can also do this by having a separate Connect hooked up to each speaker "zone." This should allow you to control everything via your phone and/or Alexa/Google but not be tied to Sonos speakers.
This is what I did. We had existing in ceiling speakers in multiple rooms when we bought the house, so I slapped in a Sonos connect and some amps and done.

(FTR, I did none of this install on my own.)
agdoc2001
AG
I've posted this before, but I purchased a 6 zone Dayton distribution amp and attached a Sonos Connect to each zone. ALternatively, you could use a Sonos Amp for each zone rather than the Connects and a distribution amplifier.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Heos by Denon is their version of Sonos. Heos is their music control/streaming and system integration software. They sell amps (like Sonos), connect only devices to connect your streaming capability to your receiver (like Sonos connect), etc. They also sell portable speakers like Sonos that facilitate streaming whatever audio you want to stream to the speaker.

If you use Denon/Marantz receivers many of these also have the Heos architecture built into them to facilitate streaming.

saturn
AG
I had similar requirements and went with the Sonos Amps and Polk ceiling speakers. Can get pricey with a high number of zones (one Amp per separate zone), but I like the scalability, simplicity, and mobile control.
Z100
AG
Following. My Denon AVR-1907 stopped working last week. Have 5 built-in wired speakers in TV/living area. There are lots of options out there. Would like to stay at/under $300.00
Set up is 4K Samsung TV, Xfinity, Apple TV, Alexa. Main uses are listening to music and TV / live sports watching. The bluetooth and wireless look appealing as does apple air play however currently they also drive the price up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.