Wired Security Cameras

1,103 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UmustBKidding
tlh3842
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for a good value security camera set. I'm thinking I'd prefer DVR over NVR, but that may just be my old school mindset so I'm open to either option. Looking to spend around $500. I've thought about Ring and similar cameras, but I need several views around the house so I'm thinking a system would be easier/cheaper to purchase. Also not interested in wireless given needing to change batteries, etc.

I found a few threads partially similar, but nothing exact so thought I'd start a new one.
Jethro95
AG
Do you have or can you run Ethernet from where you will locate the NVR to all of the locations where you want the cameras?

Reolink which is available in several packages of POE cameras and NVR depending on what type of cameras you want on Amazon seems to get the best reviews these days.

UmustBKidding
Not a super fan of packaged Chinese camera systems. These have had numerous security issues with no way to fix and typically have always worked out to be less than ideal in real world use and replaced with better stuff eventually.
So have had friends with Lorax & Reolink and most have upgraded their stuff to Ubiquity. Even Harbor freight has legacy DVR based systems. Most issues were related to their one size fits all mentality. With cameras what you need for outside with long range IR and working motion detection is not the same device as you need inside or to cover a door in a protected area.
The Ubiquity is more expensive but can buy incrementally. You can run the NVR on their appliance or the software on a PC. Had a friend move from appliance to PC when he grew his system and said it was completely painless, just captured the config and moved them and he was done. Believe their appliance is a headless Debian box.
Jethro95
AG
I agree with you but I've never been able to persuade anyone with a small budget that is looking at packages to go the incremental route.

I run a Blue Iris server and did what you suggest which is buy the cameras over time. The cheap Chinese NVR box I started with had a terrible user interface compared to Blue Iris. I'm sure the Ubiquity system is good as I run their APs and love them. I went with the "better" models of the Chinese cameras but they are all behind a pfsense box in their own VLAN with no internet access and can only talk to the Blue Iris server.
JSKolache
AG
Wires suck.
UmustBKidding
Wires don't suffer from deauth attacks, and battery cameras have whole slew of denial or service attacks. If camera is integral to the security strategy it will need wires. If its part of security theater that wireless or even dummy cameras are just fine.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.