Google Wear OS/ Android smartwatch recommendations?

714 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by txyaloo
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So after getting a new phone and finding the Pebble app is no longer available in the app store, I figured it was time to move on to a new smart watch. Never really been a fan of Fitbit.

What do you like?

txyaloo
AG
They're all pretty much garbage. I'd wait until the watches with the newly announced Qualcomm chips are released. I honestly expect Google to abandon the platform in the next year or two. it's been pretty much dead since they renamed it.

I have a Ticwatch Pro that apart from the lag works ok. The fitness features are just ok. The heart rate monitor isn't super accurate, and I don't find tracking distance when running or steps when walking very accurate either. If you don't have an android phone, buy an Apple Watch. If you want a fitness watch, look at some of the Garmin products.
nai06
AG
The thing is, i don't give a **** about any of the fitness stuff. I dont care about a heart rate monitor or fitness tracking, i just want a decent looking watch that I can get notifications on. If the are all truly awful, Im tempted to try and side load the Pebble APK back onto my phone.
txyaloo
AG
I haven't seen a single one that didn't have lag. If you don't care about being in Google's ecosystem, you might take a look at the Tizen watches Samsung is putting out. They're pretty quick, but the app market is limited. That's not saying much considering how limited Wear OS is.
SJEAg
AG
I've used a Samsung Gear S2 Classic for over 2 years now. I like it well enough.

I mainly bought it for notifications and some health functions (the pedometer and MapMyFitness app). I occasionally use the spotify app or use it to quick reply text messages if I am jogging or something. Plus, I like that it looks like a somewhat normal watch. Apps are limited, but I am not really desiring anything else. Only so many things you can do on a watch especially if your phone is typically nearby.

It's starting to act a little quirky but has lasted longer than I thought it would...I'll probably replace it with the latest version at some point. Doesn't look like the technology has changed that much other than longer battery life.
heddleston
AG
You should be able to sideload the Pebble app, i had to do that a while back. The bummer for me is that iOS 13 kills pebble support on iPhone, so i'm now having to ponder an Apple Watch.

WearOS has been pretty bad, I would look at Samsung's offerings, since they use their own proprietary OS that seems to integrate well.
nai06
Wildmen03
AG
I have a Garmin VivoActive. It's primarily a fitness watch, but it does notifications and music controls. I've had it for years with no issues, It has a week+ battery life and you can see it great even in direct sunlight.
Mattressburn
AG
I have a Samsung galaxy watch. I did have it paired with a Note 8 but now I've moved onto a pixel. Honestly, haven't noticed it any features I am missing. It's supposed to do some things only with the Samsung phones but I have no idea what that could be. Tracks steps and has notifications. That's all I need .
nai06
AG
I was looking at this one which seems to have decent reviews
Tic watch Pro 4G

https://www.mobvoi.com/us/pages/ticwatchpro4g
txyaloo
AG
nai06 said:

I was looking at this one which seems to have decent reviews
Tic watch Pro 4G

https://www.mobvoi.com/us/pages/ticwatchpro4g
I have the non-4G version of that watch. Was fine for the first month or two then became lag city. Great battery life due to the dual screens, but it's very productive when every swipe of the screen takes a few seconds
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.