Password Manager

5,218 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dubi
Aggieangler93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lastpass for me. I may give others a look, but it works great for me, for now. I didn't know about the shared family access. I will have to look into that one.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
cz308
I used Lastpass for years, but then I decided to switch over to 1Password and never looked back. I prefer it now.
CapCity12thMan
AG
couple of responses here...

The LastPass iOS app is what I use - I have never heard of LastPass browser...it works great.

I am actually at the point with LastPass, where I only know my master password and a few others by heart. Everything else is random generated by LastPass 12-24 character strings.

TBH I have not tried anything but LastPass, but I haven't run into anything that makes me want to switch right now.
boy09
AG
aggieforester05 said:

Sick of eleventy billion different software companies wanting monthly fees. They add up quickly. Offer a one time purchase and I'll rethink it.
Sorry fella, but those days are quickly coming to an end..
TMoney2007
AG
boy09 said:

aggieforester05 said:

Sick of eleventy billion different software companies wanting monthly fees. They add up quickly. Offer a one time purchase and I'll rethink it.
Sorry fella, but those days are quickly coming to an end..
You just have to actively manage it. Don't stay signed up for a million different things that you don't actually use.

I use lastpass every single day so I don't mind paying for it. Before I went flat broke for a while, I had a bunch of subscriptions that I didn't really use. Now I pay attention to what I use and drop the ones I don't.
UmustBKidding
Last pass users time to update NOW!
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lastpass-bug-leaks-credentials-from-previous-site/
Know its popular with lots of people here.
dubi
AG
91_Aggie said:

Question about how these work.
1) Are the passwords you use for the indivdual sites that the app saves for you, accessible to you to read as plain text?

2) In other words if i actually want to know the password i picked for amazon.com 2 years ago, will lastpass/1password allow me to view it?
1password by default shows asterisks, but you can show it in plain text. I just click the copy button without ever revealing it.

1Password shows the history of every single change for each site.
The Fife
I use a piece of paper at home.
dubi
AG
The Fife said:

My 85 year old momma uses a password manager!

The Fife
dubi said:

The Fife said:

To be fair part of that has to do with dealing with accounts and passwords after my brother's death. The only way I was able to take care of all of them was because he was still signed into his email accounts on his desktop, and his computer didn't have a password.

If a password manager requires a password that could be a problem for whoever handles all that after someone dies.
saw em off
The Fife said:

dubi said:

The Fife said:

To be fair part of that has to do with dealing with accounts and passwords after my brother's death. The only way I was able to take care of all of them was because he was still signed into his email accounts on his desktop, and his computer didn't have a password.

If a password manager requires a password that could be a problem for whoever handles all that after someone dies.
That's why you make a document detailing how to access your digital life and store it in a safe or safety deposit box. If the person is single, make sure he or she lets a loved one know how to access said safe or box.
The Fife
That's what I did with my list. I'm getting divorced so my mom knows where it is and what it looks like.

My dad keeps going on about how he made this great big document about what to do when he passes, and how all his passwords are on a text file on his laptop and all that. I've pointed out now several times that nobody has the password to the stupid laptop, and it runs Windows 10 so the normal password reset tool on Hirens Boot CD only works up to 7. I'm still not sure if he gets what I'm saying, that we actually need a way to get to this thing he put together.
saw em off
The Fife said:

That's what I did with my list. I'm getting divorced so my mom knows where it is and what it looks like.

My dad keeps going on about how he made this great big document about what to do when he passes, and how all his passwords are on a text file on his laptop and all that. I've pointed out now several times that nobody has the password to the stupid laptop, and it runs Windows 10 so the normal password reset tool on Hirens Boot CD only works up to 7. I'm still not sure if he gets what I'm saying, that we actually need a way to get to this thing he put together.
Even though I still keep my doc updated, I just switched to 1password family plan so my wife has access to not only passwords, but secure notes on how bills are paid and from what source, etc...

Sorry about the divorce, man!
dubi
AG
Quote:

That's why you make a document detailing how to access your digital life and store it in a safe or safety deposit box. If the person is single, make sure he or she lets a loved one know how to access said safe or box.

I have a family friend who has the password to my password keeper.

And the password keeper has my regular web passwords, bank accounts, credit cards, etc. My entire life is in there.
dubi
AG
Sorry to hear that news.
The Fife
Thanks, he's been gone almost 5 years now.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Digital life cleanup / management after death is a real Pain in the Ass for those left behind by the person who did not plan.
UmustBKidding
Most should setup Google death, but how knows probably another useful product that they will kill. I have mine set to three months and sends probably to many people my creds.
dubi
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Most should setup Google death, but how knows probably another useful product that they will kill. I have mine set to three months and sends probably to many people my creds.

Google death

Interesting concept.
Picard
AG
I'm bumping this thread with questions about these cloud storage password services. Been using 1Password for years in the Apple ecosystem. The Safari 13 release killed the old extensions gallery and took the 1Password browser extension with it. So you have to upgrade to 1Password 7 to get the new Safari extension which moves you to the cloud storage model.

It likely works well and is convenient, but I just can't get my head around trusting a cloud provider with all of my passwords. Yes I understand their security model with a secret key but it still bothers me.

1Password White Paper: https://1password.com/files/1Password-White-Paper.pdf

Any discussion on this? You guys run into the same dilemma?

kb2001
AG
91_Aggie said:

Question about how these work.
Are the passwords you use for the indivdual sites that the app saves for you, accessible to you to read as plain text?

In other words if i actually want to know the password i picked for amazon.com 2 years ago, will lastpass/1password allow me to view it?
Yes, you can view them. I can't speak for 1password, but LastPass also keeps history.
Jethro95
AG
I held out for awhile when they went to the subscription model. What finally got me to switch was the family sharing features which are really nice if you have kids. I used to sync it with dropbox and now its just seamless and feels like there is less for me too manage on my side which is nice. However, I do understand wanting the actual files in your possession.
Picard
AG
Well I gave in today and upgraded to 1Password 7 with the cloud subscription. The UI and the overall process is impressive.
permabull
AG
saw em off
Picard said:

I'm bumping this thread with questions about these cloud storage password services. Been using 1Password for years in the Apple ecosystem. The Safari 13 release killed the old extensions gallery and took the 1Password browser extension with it. So you have to upgrade to 1Password 7 to get the new Safari extension which moves you to the cloud storage model.

It likely works well and is convenient, but I just can't get my head around trusting a cloud provider with all of my passwords. Yes I understand their security model with a secret key but it still bothers me.

1Password White Paper: https://1password.com/files/1Password-White-Paper.pdf

Any discussion on this? You guys run into the same dilemma?

Here's my take on this concern, though my concern was a little different but in the same ballpark. And that was, what about the employees of these companies peeking at your stuff?

These are businesses, in business for the same reason everyone else goes into business: to provide a service and make money. If word got out (and it wouldn't take long) that employees were accessing your data, that company would go under. They go through rigorous background checks. Also, from your concern, 1password does boast that they have never been compromised. I'm getting close to completing my first year on it and I love it!
PincheDriller
AG
Lastpass also has a feature to send access to someone after there hasn't been any access in an allotted number of days. I have setup this feature.
IslandAg76
AG
Looking at password managers and 1 Password seems to be popular--is this still the case?
Do I have to provide a long password to 1 Password for every website (password protected) I visit or after the initial time does it do it automatically?

Is this a seamless, mostly run in the background piece of software or something I am messing with all the time?

Do you routinely put all your passwords in the app or leave ones like, for instance, TexAgs outside it where all a hacker could do is make stupid posts?

Mostly trying to determine if the added security comes with a PITA app when using internet for places where I don't care much about extra security.

Thanks
eric76
AG
The Fife said:

I use an index card file.
IslandAg76
AG
I use a notepad file with Ctrl F and wife has a multiple page stack of scribbled crap.

Trying to fix it or make it better.
But--sometimes a pencil is better
dubi
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Looking at password managers and 1 Password seems to be popular--is this still the case?
1) Do I have to provide a long password to 1 Password for every website (password protected) I visit or after the initial time does it do it automatically?

2) Is this a seamless, mostly run in the background piece of software or something I am messing with all the time?

3) Do you routinely put all your passwords in the app or leave ones like, for instance, TexAgs outside it where all a hacker could do is make stupid posts?

Mostly trying to determine if the added security comes with a PITA app when using internet for places where I don't care much about extra security.

Thanks

1) it will generate a password for you

2) Seamless. More so on mobile than PC due to facial recognition.

3) I use 1Password for all my apps.

I'd start with important accounts like bank, retirement assets. Then just put them in as you login to a website.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.