Password Manager

5,301 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by dubi
zephyr88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been looking at LastPass. Good? Bad?

I've read the reviews but still can't convince myself one way or the other.

Before I pull the trigger, thought I'd bring it to the board.
Copp
LastPass works great for us. Even if lastpass gets hacked, the data is already encrypted. It's a little finicky at times but once you learn how to do it, it's pretty easy
labmansid
+1 for Last Pass. Been using it for a couple of years or so. No complaints. Really made things easier when I recently got a new laptop. I haven't tried the auto-generate a new password feature, but it could be handy.
TechnoAg
AG
I prefer 1Password over Lastpass. It's pay but their support for families and shared passwords is great.
Astroag
AG
TechnoAg said:

I prefer 1Password over Lastpass. It's pay but their support for families and shared passwords is great.

This
kb2001
AG
Another vote for LastPass

If sharing is a feature you want take a look at the paid LastPass service. We use it at work for my team and the sharing works great, I don't know how the price compares to 1password.

IowaAg07
AG
I use LastPass and pay the small amount of money they charge for multi-user/multi-device (family) plan. Works well on desktops and Android phones.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I've used LastPass & 1Password and had no real complaints about either. At the time, the UI of 1Password was a bit more to my liking but it has been several years so LastPass probably doesn't look like it did when I used it.

Either one is great.
AggieBarstool
I use both -- 1Password for work and LastPass for home. Both have their advantages. I give 1P the edge for how it's laid out / simplicity, but LP gets the win because of how well their free product works.
Texas Red
AG
Family on LastPass. App autofill is nice. Recommended.
aggieforester05
AG
I looked at lastpass, but the monthly fee turned me off. Sick of eleventy billion different software companies wanting monthly fees. They add up quickly. Offer a one time purchase and I'll rethink it.
taxpreparer
AG
I have keepass on my laptop, desktop, and android phone. The encrypted password database is on ine cloud drive and the keyfile that combines with the password, resides on a different cloud drive.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Azariah
AG
+1 for family LastPass. It now has hooks in iOS that will fill out app passwords as well as websites.
Shrinky Dink
Bitwarden.
SJEAg
AG
I like KeePass. Open source. I prefer just the basic stand alone program running in my systray...but there are browser plugins (and a million other addons) available as well. Totally free.
Furlock Bones
AG
LastPass user here. Love it.
Civen
AG
aggieforester05 said:

I looked at lastpass, but the monthly fee turned me off. Sick of eleventy billion different software companies wanting monthly fees. They add up quickly. Offer a one time purchase and I'll rethink it.
I agree, hate SaaS. I went with KeePass since it's free. And I liked it enough to pass some donation $ to the creators to help keep it going (Considered it equivalent to a one time purchase)
fooz
LastPass is good but gets annoying. I switched from it to KeePass.

https://keepass.info/
jagouar1
AG
Shrinky Dink said:

Bitwarden.
This is my go-to as well these days
Duncan Idaho
I use msecure. When I got it, it was the only one that didnt require a subscription
tamusc
AG
I use LastPass on Windows, Mac, and iOS without any issues. The LastPass Authenticator app is also nice.
ATL Aggie
AG
I used LastPass a while ago but stopped using it because I had a lot of trouble using it on mobile. To use it on mobile you had to use the LastPass browser, and it wasnt a very good browser. Have there been improvements in the mobile platform?
TMoney2007
AG
ATL Aggie said:

I used LastPass a while ago but stopped using it because I had a lot of trouble using it on mobile. To use it on mobile you had to use the LastPass browser, and it wasnt a very good browser. Have there been improvements in the mobile platform?
On android you can use whatever browser you want.

I'm sure other services use it, but I have lastpass set up to require a usb security token. I feel pretty confident with security with this setup.
ATL Aggie
AG
TMoney2007 said:

ATL Aggie said:

On android you can use whatever browser you want.

I'm sure other services use it, but I have lastpass set up to require a usb security token. I feel pretty confident with security with this setup.
Good to know, maybe I should give it another shot.
saw em off
1Password fan here. I switched to it from Passpack. The browser extension works well. Not only for auto-fill, but when setting up a new online account, it suggests a password and saves it in you vault for you.

I also like the family plan where we can securely share passwords and other sensitive information. I spent a while researching their security model and really like what they do.

One thing they can boast about that Lastpass can't is they've never had any kind of breach.
Andy07
AG
add another vote for Bitwarden here
91_Aggie
AG
Question about how these work.
Are the passwords you use for the indivdual sites that the app saves for you, accessible to you to read as plain text?

In other words if i actually want to know the password i picked for amazon.com 2 years ago, will lastpass/1password allow me to view it?
SJEAg
AG
91_Aggie said:

Are the passwords you use for the indivdual sites that the app saves for you, accessible to you to read as plain text?

In other words if i actually want to know the password i picked for amazon.com 2 years ago, will lastpass/1password allow me to view it?
It just stores usernames/passwords in a secure manner so you only need to remember one login (the password app) instead of all of them. You need to initially enter all the relevant username/passwords into the password app.

It will view in plaintext once you enter the login info to the app. It's encrypted otherwise.
TexasAggie_02
AG
91_Aggie said:

Yes

Edit: I know last pass does, I've never used 1password
tamusc
AG
ATL Aggie said:

Huh? I use LastPass on iOS with Safari, Chrome, and Brave all the time. I've never used the LastPass browser.
saw em off
TexasAggie_02 said:

91_Aggie said:

Yes

Edit: I know last pass does, I've never used 1password
Yes for 1password too.
TMoney2007
AG
91_Aggie said:

It only stores the current password, but yes.

The biggest advantage to these things is that because you almost never have to manually enter the passwords, you can let it automatically generate a unique string of characters for each of your logins and let it automatically enter them into the website, or at worst cut and paste them.

Something like logging into an xbox or something like that can be a pain, but I very rarely have to do that.

I couldn't tell you what any of the passwords are to any of the accounts that I actually care about keeping secure, because I don't need to know them. They're all random 12-16 character strings.

If you're just storing the plain text passwords that you would be using anyway, you're not getting much security advantage.
A is A
AG
Keeper is a great option
The Collective
AG
Use Lastpass family, so my wife and I can share relevant passwords easily with each other. I used their generate pw function for every login that I have.
PincheDriller
AG
LastPass, works great, I use mine with the additional free wo factor authentication (multiple options available) I use the lastpass Authenticator since it does push notifications for lastpass.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.