How to prioritize/throttle MAC addresses on a modem

2,741 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by txyaloo
dubi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question from a friend. She has has Suddenlinkat her house in College Station and an Aaris Surfboard modem.

Quote:

Question: what's the best internet modem box that allows me to prioritize devices? It's for my Suddenlink service in CS and the ARRIS box I'm using doesn't seem to allow prioritization. I have roommates who are data hogs and I want to put MY devices first since they don't help pay for the service. Got any ideas?
So she wants first dibs on the bandwidth so what does she need to do?
diehard03
ill ask the dumb question...why do they have access at all? Seems like a much easier solution...
UmustBKidding
You indicated a surfboard modem, but is it an internal router or external. Most consumer type routers don't do qos or traffic shaping. Tomato firmware will work on many consumer devices and does support it. Unfortunately isps don't typically even evaluate qos tags so you end up with having to shape traffic. It's easy to make your traffic leave first hard to limit a device to it's fair share of inbound traffic. With exact router model you can check if it supports party firmware. The other option is to replace the router with something that supports more enterprise features.
rangerdanger
AG
Our Netgear Nighthawk router does QoS by MAC. We have a Surfboard modem as well, but it is a dedicated modem, not modem/router combo. Not sure if your friend wants to shell out the $$ to split them out.
dubi
AG
diehard03 said:

ill ask the dumb question...why do they have access at all? Seems like a much easier solution...
I think as part of their rent, she offered internet.
dubi
AG
rangerdanger said:

Our Netgear Nighthawk router does QoS by MAC. We have a Surfboard modem as well, but it is a dedicated modem, not modem/router combo. Not sure if your friend wants to shell out the $$ to split them out.
I suspect she will pay if she wants it bad enough.
dubi
AG
UmustBKidding said:

You indicated a surfboard modem, but is it an internal router or external. Most consumer type routers don't do qos or traffic shaping. Tomato firmware will work on many consumer devices and does support it. Unfortunately isps don't typically even evaluate qos tags so you end up with having to shape traffic. It's easy to make your traffic leave first hard to limit a device to it's fair share of inbound traffic. With exact router model you can check if it supports party firmware. The other option is to replace the router with something that supports more enterprise features.

I think modem / router all in one.
dubi
AG
rangerdanger said:

Which model Netgear Nighthawk router do you own?
UmustBKidding
Probably not in the position with all my other obligations to do much hands on but with model number and look here https://www.enginoor.com/list-of-tomato-compatible-routers/
You can see if you can avoid a new router buy using some third party firmware.
But again easy to make sure her packets leave first, but no good way to keep others from saturation the incoming other than to artificially limit their total consumption.
dubi
AG
Thanks!
UmustBKidding
Username at
Conspiracy
Dot.
Net
If have direct questions
saw em off
I have the Synology RT2600ac and it has the option to prioritize by MAC. I don't use it being just a small family at the house but when I turned it on and tested it for fun, it worked well.
eric76
AG
I assume that you mean wifi router. A modem (short for modulator - demodulator) converts ethernet signals to sound and back again so that the sound can be transmitted on a regular telephone line.

One way would be to plug a second wifi router that can set maximum throughput into the first. If you have a reliable 10 megabit per second connection, set the maximum rate on the second wifi router to be 5 megabits per second.
Keep the password for the first and let the roommates have the password for the second.

I don't know which wifi routers can be used to throttle bandwidth. The Ubiquity AirRouters could do it, but they are no longer being produced.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I assume that you mean wifi router.
She has the modem/router.
Jethro95
AG
I have a cable modem/wireless router all in one device that my cable company provided. I was able to put it into "bridged mode" which effectively turns off the wireless router part so it just acts as a cable modem. I then plugged in my router of choice and went on about my business. If that is an option, I would suggest she find a wireless router that has the QOS features she needs to balance out the bandwidth allocation among the clients and do it that way.
dubi
AG
Quote:

I would suggest she find a wireless router that has the QOS features she needs to balance out the bandwidth allocation among the clients and do it that way.

I am asking for a wireless router that will do QOS by mac address without flashing it into DDRT tomato. I know how to disable the wireless on her current model/router.
Jethro95
AG
Looks like any of the Netgear Nighthawk routers listed at the top right of this page will do it.

https://kb.netgear.com/24301/How-do-I-set-up-a-Quality-of-Service-QoS-policy-for-a-MAC-address-on-my-Nighthawk-router
dubi
AG
Jethro95 said:

Looks like any of the Netgear Nighthawk routers listed at the top right of this page will do it.

https://kb.netgear.com/24301/How-do-I-set-up-a-Quality-of-Service-QoS-policy-for-a-MAC-address-on-my-Nighthawk-router
Thank you!!!!
eric76
AG
dubi said:

Quote:

I guess the term modem applies to just about anything these days.
txyaloo
AG
eric76 said:

dubi said:

Quote:

I guess the term modem applies to just about anything these days.
The term "modem" has been used by the cable industry for at least 25 years to describe the box converting the signal coming through coax to an ethernet connection. You should know this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.