Recommend a Laptop for me - $ for referral

1,786 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Aggieangler93
Aggie09Derek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I"ve had back to back Dell XPS's and its time for a new laptop

I'm open to any brand (including Dell)

Needs:
16 or 32gb ram (prefer 32)
15'' screen
New-er CPU (intel i7 or i9)
NOT Touchscreen

Budget $1k-$2k

Not sure if I need USB-C or Display Port, just got a 2 new 27'' monitors that have display port but i'm fine with just HDMI since doubt i'll know the difference.

I've gone in circles when looking at new laptops and most of the time it ends up giving me tons of the gaming machines (Lenovo Legion or Dell G-Series) which i'm probably paying extra for a badass video card that I won't need.

$25 payment via paypal to anyone who recommends something I end up buying.
redd38
AG
Anything you don't like about XPS? I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the new XPS 15 with OLED.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I've liked them - just trying to get the best deal for a new laptop and exploring all options.
Caesar4
AG
I don't care about the offer/reward, but was bored and did a quick look. These look like something you might like:

ETA: One of the reviews of the Lenovo sounded bad and the return policy was bad. Appears both of the links above are not direct from the manufacturer, so I'd probably shy away.

I thought maybe Costco would be a good option, since for electronics, Costco doubles the mfr warranty. But, Costco laptops max memory is 16GB.
Naveronski
AG
I was browsing Dell's website, and you're right - they mostly seem to be gaming machines in your price range.

That said, this is easily in your budget: https://m.dell.com/h5/m/r/outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdR%2b%2bo5hIw64GLzV89cALsTx61qlROD%2fQKpNwlAFw789na39G5%2fEsaj4E8YJocX70sQ7EwgEH8%2fYdW6abFgW%2fOliHhBbnhnmjOkpeZl%2bJiOYroLxWkDkTQCoP2jri0JEextujgy6EcwTl%2bu9VEQLWqeOOvGp%2btmzaynJm%2f8j7Z7wvHg0FqAwYqXoO3qfvfck%2fUQ%3d%3d
aezmvp
Quick config on IBuyPower.com:

http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/MSI-GL63-9SDK-610-Gaming-Laptop/W/718636

MSI Laptop with a new generation i7 32GB of RAM an M.2 HD for your boot drive and a 2 TB HD for storage and a Nvidia 1660 Ti.

It could do just about everything you want for the next 3-4 years outside of some really heavy duty games/rendering applications without a problem. This is at the higher end of your proposed budget, around $1860. Comes with a couple of extras like a keyboard and mouse that are free but nothing spectacular.

Xidax

https://www.xidax.com/promotion/pick_your_destiny/4a6c9be055f32d88d6f6ef6be70fb422

This one is slightly less powerful on the GPU side and with a smaller 1TB storage drive but a significant cost savings around $1370. No extras, but for $500 you can afford professional level peripherals.

There were some other options on sites like Sager that were interesting but I couldn't get a link from and don't have as much experience with. Good luck!

TMoney2007
AG
redd38 said:

Anything you don't like about XPS? I think I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the new XPS 15 with OLED.
This.

I think its touch screen, but you don't have to touch it. It seems like the screen would look really really good. I bought the first generation XPS15 with the infinity display and its been great for me.
Absolute
AG
Went from XPS to Alienware. Use it mostly for work. Best laptop I have had.
redd38
AG
Absolute said:

Went from XPS to Alienware. Use it mostly for work. Best laptop I have had.

What do you like about Alienware over the XPS? I haven't even considered an Alienware because I'm not a gamer
NavyAg22
Unless you're video editing you won't saturate 32GB. What do you need that much for?
Absolute
AG
Mainly build quality. Solid materials, beautiful touch and feel to the components. I got the 17 because I wanted the number keypad and don't tend to carry it much. Speced out better than a comparable xps for less money and I think the build quality is better. Do a little gaming, but power for gaming works in my favor for working as well. In my 5th year with it and no issues at all. Have upgraded the memory, ssd and HD. I will buy another Alienware when this one is done without a second thought.

I actually bought it on Amazon with no real warranty, other than the 1 year manufacturer. Not a single issue. I have looked around some to research. Think if you watch the sales you could get it from Dell for the same discount with a good Sale.
TMoney2007
AG
I haven't looked at them in a while. Last time I was investigating, they seemed more plastic and cheaper feeling than the XPS, which was metal and carbon.
Absolute
AG
Mine is really solid. Don't have a material list. Wasn't dissatisfied with the XPS I had, it was a good unit too. But my Alienware just feels more solid and substantial and has performed great.
fig96
AG
NavyAg22 said:

Unless you're video editing you won't saturate 32GB. What do you need that much for?
Yeah, I'm a designer and animator and I get by fine with 16gb.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Anyone have any experience buying front dell outlet and buying a scratch & dent unit?
TMoney2007
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Anyone have any experience buying front dell outlet and buying a scratch & dent unit?
I bought one there forever ago. The nice thing about it was that you got whatever upgraded warranty was included with the original order.

For example, I bought a latitude that originally had a 3 year, next day service warranty. I got to have that warranty for like 2-1/2 years for no extra money.

I don't know if that's still the case, and you can't tell what the warranty is by the listing, but I had a good experience. For all the crap Dell gets they actually have a really good service network. That's why they're in such heavy use in corporate environments.
Naveronski
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

We bought my wife's from there. She uses it daily, and has had no issues.
Aggieangler93
AG
Any work laptop I have bought has been a Dell. I am running a Precision M6800 right now that I have had for 5-7 years. It has 32GB RAM, and 2TB combined in 2 SSDs (they are cheaper now, so I could go higher, but have room so far). I never buy but the minimum from Dell, and then I add/swap all the extra RAM, HDs for myself.

I run an Oracle VM that is a hog, and then a bunch of IDEs, including spatial data imagery from time to time, and have not really been able to challenge this box.

Get one that will take 32GB and buy it with only 16GB in it. Then see if you need it. It's a fairly easy swap, if you can follow simple instructions.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.