Need some help getting rid of a virus

1,177 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by txyaloo
Naked Hiker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quick scan hasn't been catching it, but a full scan of my PC with Microsoft Security Essentials finally found SoftwareBundler:Win32/OutBrowse hiding out.
I haven't had any luck letting the MSE software delete or quarantine the virus. It gives the following error.

Quote:

The following error occurred: Error code 0x80070021. The process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file.

Category: Software Bundler

Description: This program may install other potentially unwanted software.

Recommended action: Remove this software immediately.

Items:
containerfile:Z:\NATHAN-PC\Backup Set 2016-01-24 050006\Backup Files 2016-01-24 050006\Backup files 71.zip
file:Z:\NATHAN-PC\Backup Set 2016-01-24 050006\Backup Files 2016-01-24 050006\Backup files 71.zip->C\Users\Nathan\Downloads\Installation (1).exe
file:Z:\NATHAN-PC\Backup Set 2016-01-24 050006\Backup Files 2016-01-24 050006\Backup files 71.zip->C\Users\Nathan\Downloads\Installation.exe

I restarted in safe mode but was unsuccessful getting anything done there either.

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. My wife's checking account and my Netflix account were both hacked this week. That's what led to me running a full scan.
Naked Hiker
AG
After restarting the computer I'm able to open Windows defender, but after a couple minutes of scanning, a popup says
Quote:

This program is turned off
If you are using another program that checks for harmful or unwanted software, use the action center to check that program's status. If you would like to use this program, click here to turn it on.
But the url doesn't work.
I tried running windows defender in safe mode, but it didn't work. I'm at a loss for what to do now.
RoyIII_Ag08
AG
What OS is your computer? (Win10?)

Try this: https://www.malwarebytes.com/
jay040
Malwarebytes (accept the free 30 day trial of premium) and then download and run McAfee Stinger
https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.html
91_Aggie
AG
does anything from mcafee actually work?
Naked Hiker
AG
I'm on Windows 7 professional.
I'll give malwarebytes a shot, thanks!
Naked Hiker
AG
Turning off the real-time protection on Microsoft Security Essentials and then running a full scan with Windows Defender seemed to help. Though, I think whatever it was wasn't a virus after all. It never seemed to delete or quarantine the folders. It's like they finally removed the flag after confirming that it wasn't a malicious file or something.
txyaloo
AG
Have you tried going to your Z drive in the folder listed and just deleting those files? It looks like they're in a 2016 backup folder and likely aren't a real virus
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.