Questions about streaming devices / HDMI-ARC/CEC with receiver ?

1,627 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by spanky
AgsMyDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I basically just use my TV for YoutubeTV about 99% of the time. I do have an attic mounted antenna for local channels (prior to subscribing to YTTV) but don't use much these days.

I'm looking to replace my Xbox One as it's pretty clunky and not very user friendly and my harmony remote is breaking. Off button doesn't work 50% off the time, etc. Currently researching boxes like Roku, FireTV, ShieldTV (supports same antenna adapter from XBOX) etc. Being able to boot straight to YTTV would be great but not required.

My biggest question is will one of the boxes and it's remotes be suffice for my system? My receiver has HDMI In and Out. Should I just plug my streaming device via HDMI to the receiver, then an HDMI out to the TV? At that point, will CEC handle the commands from the remote for power to receiver/TV? What about volume in this case?

Current devices:

* TV - Samsung Smart TV. Maybe 3 years old? I'll get the model number when I get home.
* Audio Receiver - Sony STRDH550
* Streaming Device - Xbox One (able to connect my antenna here)
* Remote - Harmony 650, starting to really fail on me as it's about 5 years old

Current Setup

* Xbox connected to TV via HDMI
* TV audio out to receiver via optical
jay040
I have my Roku plugged into my Receiver. and I use 2 remotes - 1 for the tv and receiver and the Roku remote. I think that some of the Harmony remotes can handle Roku stuff, but I don't have one.

Also, I don't think that Amazon Fire TV products work for Youtube TV.
AgsMyDude
AG
jay040 said:

I have my Roku plugged into my Receiver. and I use 2 remotes - 1 for the tv and receiver and the Roku remote. I think that some of the Harmony remotes can handle Roku stuff, but I don't have one.

Thanks! Which roku do you have? Some good sales today.

And YouTube is now on fitetv, I think the rest are on the way
hph6203
AG
Yeah, YoutubeTV should be coming to FireTV at some point, it's not there yet.

As far as HDMI CEC, it should work, but it can be finnicky with certain devices connected to certain devices. For volume/power you want a streaming device that has volume control.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Stick-HDR-Streaming-Long-range/dp/B075XLWML4/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=roku&qid=1563214514&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-6

or

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Ultra-Streaming-Player-Voice-Headphones/dp/B07HDHXZH4/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=roku&qid=1563214514&s=gateway&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-5

Would be great options. They have controls for power for your TV/Volume for your receiver.
boy09
AG
Apple TV works well with ARC/CEC also.
Caesar4
AG
jay040 said:

We use a Sideclick remote (clips onto the Roku remote) and programmed the buttons to control the TV volume, power, source/input.

hph6203
AG
boy09 said:

Apple TV works well with ARC/CEC also.
Yup, it's what I use, but I'm not quite sure they're worth the price premium now that the other devices include IR/Volume control. The remote is also not as innately understandable as the Roku's, because the touch pad doesn't function the same as a regular remote so there's a learning curve.
AgsMyDude
AG
This is interesting. Can you turn multiple devices on at once? (TV/Receiver for example)
Caesar4
AG
AgsMyDude said:

This is interesting. Can you turn multiple devices on at once? (TV/Receiver for example)
Each of the sideclick buttons is programmable, so you could just program each button however you want (using different buttons on a single remote or different remotes).
AgsMyDude
AG
Caesar4 said:

AgsMyDude said:

Each of the sideclick buttons is programmable, so you could just program each button however you want (using different buttons on a single remote or different remotes).
Got it thanks.

Thanks everyone, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Ultra yesterday. We'll see how it goes. I have my receiver setup to allow for CEC and HDMI passthrough so hopefully it just works but I have my doubts.
spanky
AG
I have a Roku Ultra, and it is able to turn on my TV and receiver as well as control the receiver volume with CEC. The roku is connected to receiver via hdmi and one hdmi (arc) runs from the receiver to TV.

TV - Samsung UN82NU8000
AV Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ830
Streaming box - Roku Ultra 4661R
HDMI - Monoprice 35ft active dynamicview
AgsMyDude
AG
spanky said:

I have a Roku Ultra, and it is able to turn on my TV and receiver as well as control the receiver volume with CEC. The roku is connected to receiver via hdmi and one hdmi (arc) runs from the receiver to TV.

TV - Samsung UN82NU8000
AV Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ830
Streaming box - Roku Ultra 4661R
HDMI - Monoprice 35ft active dynamicview

Awesome. So the Ultra came in today. Every works perfectly! I was pretty doubtful it would happen but hitting power on the roku turns on TV to the correct input, receiver to the correct input and can adjust the receiver volume just fine. Power turns them all off.

I'm very thrilled if there are no hiccups.

Well it's still not doing volume all the time, so kinda weird
spanky
AG
Yeah, I have hiccups at times too. If I'm on my Samsung 4k player, hitting a roku button doesn't always switch over for me. I'll live with it until I find a deal on a harmony hub.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.