iOS 13

6,638 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Phat32
Phat32
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just threw the dev build on my phone and iPad.

- built in swipe keyboard is great. Glad I don't have to give Google my keystrokes anymore

- dark mode is fantastic

- seems "snappier "

The overall experience is the best yet. Lots of helpful little things that are very useful.
AggieFrog
AG
Agreed - have had it on my XS Max and 5th gen iPad. A little buggy at times but not bad for a developer beta.
Pman17
AG
It's way better than the iOS 11 Dev Beta. That had a terrible start. Just about as good as iOS 12 Beta. Still some bugs.
Pman17
AG
The public beta released today
Desert Power
AG
Downloading it right now. Normally I wait until the full version of these things come out before I put it on my primary device, but I have to reset my phone so many times already. My phone will drop the call connected all the time. It will say that I'm still connected on the call but neither I, nor the person I'm talking to can hear each other. It usually resolves when I reset my phone, but the frustrating thing is that I have to do it 2-3 times/week.
LOYAL AG
AG
Will 13 fix Siri so that she actually finds my contacts and finds the right ones? For about three weeks now she'll randomly not find the person at all or find the wrong person. Today I asked for a client and in response she asked if I wanted one of these other two who were the client's kids.

Then when you get pissed and tell her she's ****ing up at her job she says something witty like, "Jason, we were talking about you."

Snotty *****!
Desert Power
AG
Already noticing a couple of bugs with it installed, but nothing terrible. Really liking dark mode and the keyboard with swipe is nice, even though it's been around forever with third party keyboards. It's just nice being supported on the actual Apple keyboard.

**just noticed on my Xs that one I am one of the other home screens instead of the main one that I cannot swipe up like normal to return to the home screen. It still works swiping up while in an app to return to the home screen but if I am another page of apps I cannot return hone with a swipe.

**Also just noted that my reminders app is not syncing between my iPhone and Apple Watch. Pretty annoying because I use the reminders app on my watch all the time and use it to add stuff to my grocery list also. This is annoying.

**I know app support is not ready yet but I'm extremely frustrated. I use the app Scanner Pro a ton and when I opened up the app, all of my previous scans are gone. I think I can still access them through the files app.
Wildmen03
AG
I've been on it since developer and I do like dark mode. I just wish I could turn it off for folders on the home screen. The lighter folder background looks better there.

They also fixed my FaceID bug which is nice.
Pman17
AG
Having a bad experience with watchOS 6 dev. I can't get my watch to update to dev 2 because of connection issues. My phone has trouble fetching the dev 2 update and I got it to fetch yesterday but my connection was poor so 1hr to download 250mb and then it timed out. Can't fetch the update again and the Bluetooth on my watch won't connect. I have the series 2 so it's old. Plan on getting the series 5.
Desert Power
AG
Good to know to avoid the beta on that one. Thank you. Would hate to do something that bricks my series 4
bbattbq01
AG
Got the first public beta the other day. So far liking dark mode, the new volume control, swipe keyboard and smaller space taken up at top of screen when an app is using location services.

Only bugs I've run into are some positioning issues in messages app.

Seems snappier than iOS 12 too. I'm on 8+ so my phone is getting a little dated but running great on new iOS.
Vernada
AG
will Siri be able to unlock my phone!?
Al Bula
AG
- Can't figure out why all apps are asking for Bluetooth to be connected.

- The memojis are dumb to me.

- Apple still hasn't figured out how to insert the cursor in the middle of a word at all. Android had this down perfectly 10 years ago.

- the metadata/exif editor app i use doesn't work with the beta yet but i expert it will at some point.

- the App Store is more about selling apps than ever before.

- copy/paste and pressing seems screwy but that's beta stuff

- photos is weird and will take some getting used to. I download and put all pics into Google Photos because iCloud sucks anyway.

- music seems exactly the same but I don't need anything fancy out of it so no problem there.

- the screenshot below makes me not want to live on this planet anymore. It is a featured app today pushing the gay agenda but whatever.

Otherwise iOS 13 seems snappier than 12 as someone else mentioned. the performance seems great though.

I wasn't expecting a revolution out of the beta but surprised to see a crappier user experience in the App Store but that is a business decision to make more money and I can't fault Apple for that.

Don't anticipate using the swipe keyboard much, but maybe I will at some point. I've tried it a bit and prefer to type. On the two occasions I've switched to android I hated swipe.

YouBet
AG
Quote:

- Apple still hasn't figured out how to insert the cursor in the middle of a word at all. Android had this down perfectly 10 years ago.

I simply do not understand why Apple can't or won't improve this. It drives me nuts.
LOYAL AG
AG
I've told people for years that iOS is basically Android 3.2. Sounds like it might have evolved to 4.4. It's very plain and constricting. That's how they maintain the "it just works" that even decently tech savvy people often appreciate. I left Android because there were things I needed that didn't work well. Now life is busier and I don't care to return to what is undoubtedly a more "fun" experience because I don't have time to learn it.
AtlAg05
AG
Will it kill my 6s battery, that's all I care about.
YouBet
AG
LOYAL AG said:

I've told people for years that iOS is basically Android 3.2. Sounds like it might have evolved to 4.4. It's very plain and constricting. That's how they maintain the "it just works" that even decently tech savvy people often appreciate. I left Android because there were things I needed that didn't work well. Now life is busier and I don't care to return to what is undoubtedly a more "fun" experience because I don't have time to learn it.
I left Android because of the same (that and Google is evil). Didn't realize how buggy and unreliable it was until I got the Apple XR. Plus, the battery on the XR is just flat amazing.
Wildmen03
AG
YouBet said:

LOYAL AG said:

I left Android because of the same (that and Google is evil). Didn't realize how buggy and unreliable it was until I got the Apple XR. Plus, the battery on the XR is just flat amazing.

Same here. We're seeing more and more employees move over to iPhones from android phones because of reliability and ease of use. And since we're issuing previous gen models we aren't even spending any more money vs Android.
bbattbq01
AG
YouBet said:

Quote:

I simply do not understand why Apple can't or won't improve this. It drives me nuts.

Pretty sure this has been in iOS for a while... hold done any button on the keyboard and then a cursor shows up on the text that you can drop anywhere in any word. Hard push before releasing and it will just leave the cursor there. Just let go after dragging the cursor and it will insert the letter.
boboguitar
AG
Messages app in beta 2 is still super buggy.

Otherwise, beta 2 is a vast improvement.
boboguitar
AG
Not directly iOS 13 related but I made a seperate partition on my macbook for catelina and really enjoy the dark modes.

I've also been building a small workout iOS/WatchKit app in SwiftUI and it's been a lot of fun. Some really interesting SwiftUI concepts out there as well (like SwiftUI static site generators).
YouBet
AG
bbattbq01 said:

YouBet said:

Quote:

Pretty sure this has been in iOS for a while... hold done any button on the keyboard and then a cursor shows up on the text that you can drop anywhere in any word. Hard push before releasing and it will just leave the cursor there. Just let go after dragging the cursor and it will insert the letter.

Yes, it does work that way, but in Android you can single click to any point within the word. I can't do that in Apple. You can only click to the space before or after a word.

Now, I also can't do what you described in android well so it seems as if each os has staked their position to one or the other. I would like to be able to do both.
boboguitar
AG
Quote:

but in Android you can single click to any point within the word. I can't do that in Apple.

Not true, you can do that with iOS as well. I literally just did it on my phone.
YouBet
AG
boboguitar said:

Quote:

but in Android you can single click to any point within the word. I can't do that in Apple.

Not true, you can do that with iOS as well. I literally just did it on my phone.
I dispute this. I can't do this on either my iPhone nor my ipad. Never have been able to.
boboguitar
AG
YouBet said:

boboguitar said:

Quote:

I dispute this. I can't do this on either my iPhone nor my ipad. Never have been able to.

I don't know what to tell ya. I'm doing it right now. I don't have any way to make a video of my phone interactions right now otherwise I'd show you.
aggieforester05
AG
Have they finally added the ability to attach a contact to a text message from the messenger app or do you still have to go to the contacts app and manually add the recipient(s)? Which is a huge pain in the ass when you're trying to send a contact card in a group message. Very basic functionality that Android has had forever.
Al Bula
AG
It is fact that selecting text or inserting the cursor exactly where you want it between letters are two things that are one thousand times easier on Android.

Sure I tap repeatedly until I get the cursor closer to where I want but Apple has never gotten this right.
YouBet
AG
boboguitar said:

YouBet said:

boboguitar said:

Quote:

I don't know what to tell ya. I'm doing it right now. I don't have any way to make a video of my phone interactions right now otherwise I'd show you.
Well, this is odd then because I am completely unable to do this. I can only select before or after a word or double-tap a word to highlight the entire word.

What version are you on?
boboguitar
AG
IOS 13
YouBet
AG
boboguitar said:

IOS 13
Ah ha. I bet that's it. I'm still on 12.3.1. Maybe they finally added that enhancements with 13.
LostInLA07
AG
I'm on 12.3.1 and have no problem doing this. Press and hold to select within a word...but it only works on editable text.
Philip J Fry
AG
Curious to see how Apples transition from OpenGL to Metal is going to change the app business. It is going to eventually cause the death of many apps down the road.
Al Bula
AG
Looks like air drop doesn't carry over the correct time stamp on when a photo is taken; photos get the time stamp when it created on the receiving device.
sdc177
AG
  • Pandora doesn't seem to do well with 13 and my Jabra 65t buds. Amazon music no issues. Messaging definitely is buggy. Other than that I like it.
boboguitar
AG
sdc177 said:

• Pandora doesn't seem to do well with 13 and my Jabra 65t buds. Amazon music no issues. Messaging definitely is buggy. Other than that I like it.

I mean, if you are running beta builds you should have no expectation that a 3rd party app will work well. The point of releasing the builds to developers is so they can test their apps and get ready for the new OS.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.