Older Gamers 40+

27,148 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Fife
aezmvp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone getting excited for Squadrons? I did a lot of X-Wing, Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter back in the day. I don't want to get too hyped because.. EA, but what I've seen so far looks good!
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
aezmvp said:

Anyone getting excited for Squadrons? I did a lot of X-Wing, Tie Fighter and X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter back in the day. I don't want to get too hyped because.. EA, but what I've seen so far looks good!
I am, only been waiting since X-wing alliance.
Been playing off and on in Battlefront II fighter mode, but the Battlefront I VR X-wing mission was pretty awesome.
Will have to see how well this works with my recumbent exercise bike setup.
jr15aggie
AG
I definitely am now that they announced flight stick support. I bought a Hotas (hands on throttle and stick) a couple months ago... I've always really liked elite dangerous but it's really taken a big step up now that I'm playing with a proper controller.

Flying X-Wings and Ties with a flight stick... um... yes please!
jeffk
AG
Anyone else had issues getting their Master Chief Collection to load? Mine freezes at the first menu every time. Next step is a delete and reinstall I guess.
Fleff
AG
Maybe this is the thread to help me. 40, love RPGs but don't have time for them like I did 20 years ago. KOTOR is probably my #1 game of all time. Are their any good RPGs that aren't open world? I need the rails to limit the play to something manageable. Last RPG I enjoyed was Dragon Age 1.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
The Fife
Finished Luigi's Mansion already, now I'm going to fire up the Saturn and try Nights into Dreams along with wrapping up Mass Effect Andromeda on the PS4.
YouBet
AG
I'm playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Really good game if you like D&D and Baldur's Gate type games. It does a lot of little things really well. One example: you know how you load up spells in your alternate quick slots and then never use them because they are out of sight; out of mind (at least that happens to me)? In this game, a side bar automatically slides out from left side of screen when you go into battle so that you have all of your quick slots available to you in one view. You don't have to hunt and peck for them and it also means you don't have to memorize short keys.

And you can flip back and forth between real-time and turn based during battle. So, you can go real-time in easy battles tos peed it up and go turn-based in harder battles where you need to strategize more.

It also has some light kingdom management (haven't actually made it to latter yet but everything I read describes it that way).
Fleff
AG
I think true RPG. I like Diablo but haven't played in 8 years. Could get into some of these never Diablo like games. I bought Grimdawn and played little bit. It may just be a time commitment thing.
Aggie Rick
AG
Xbox player
Mount and Blade Warband
State of Decay 2
Stellaris
RDR2
@Aggie_Rick
jr15aggie
AG
I always find one or two horror games to play in October. This year I started Oct 1st with Resident Evil 2 remake. If you haven't played it, man it's really really good!

Perfect example of old school gaming modernized. Love the slower pace, the atmosphere, and the classic RE mix of problem solving gore fest. It's great, perfect for Halloween month.

Other Horror favorites, some are older but playable on Xbox via backwards compatability:

Dead Space 1 & 2
Outlast (I need to play part 2)
Condemned Criminal Origins
Alien Isolation
Resident Evil VII
The Evil Within (I hear part 2 is better)
Drahknor03
AG
Evil Within Part 2 is one of the better horror games of this generation.
jr15aggie
AG
Drahknor03 said:

Evil Within Part 2 is one of the better horror games of this generation.

Awesome, I will definitely have to check that out. I've got a game called Layers of Fear (got it free with Gold a couple years ago but never played)... I thought it looked generic but some people really like it and it's pretty short I think.

I'm about to the point where I'm gonna start replaying my horror favorites. I've played Dead Space multiple times already, but pretty much every game on my list above I'd love to revisit. Outlast was one of my favorite XB1 games regardless of genre. Condemned was one of my favorite 360 games... curious how that one holds up today.

Oh, and worth mentioning... just got a game on the Oculus Quest called Dread Halls. It's suppose to be scary as hell. I'll check it out and let the rest of you old *******s know if there is a heart attack concern!
YouBet
AG
re: horror games.

I haven't played it but it has pretty unanimous positive reviews but check out Darkwood. It's a black and white, 2D top-down game. Looks cool and scary.

I have supreme bias for top-down games though.
The Fife
Finished Halo 3 yesterday. Playing that immediately after Mass Effect Andromeda made it so apparent how far gameplay advanced from 2007 to 2017. It felt like I was battling both the flood and the UI.

Next up, I've started .hack//INFECTION on the PS2. I have all 4 in the series and they're supposed to be pretty quick so I've read.
craigernaught
AG
Fleff said:

Maybe this is the thread to help me. 40, love RPGs but don't have time for them like I did 20 years ago. KOTOR is probably my #1 game of all time. Are their any good RPGs that aren't open world? I need the rails to limit the play to something manageable. Last RPG I enjoyed was Dragon Age 1.

Play Divinity Original Sin 2.

Amazing.
YouBet
AG
craigernaught said:

Fleff said:

Play Divinity Original Sin 2.

Amazing.
Seconded.
jr15aggie
AG
You know what I said above about loving RE2's slower pace... never mind. Forgot about that Tyrant ass hole! Nope nope nope!
Bryan98
AG
I see y'all talking about horror games. My friends (mostly Ags) and I started playing Dead By Daylight this week. It's a 4v1 multiplayer game where the one is a slasher trying to kill four normal people who are working together to escape the level. It's a ton of fun with friends.

It's also free on Xbox Gamepass!
jr15aggie
AG
Forgot Evil Within is a Bethesda game. Will wait and see if it pops up on gamepass sometime soon.

I finished RE2. Man what a great game. Really had a good time with it. I'm doing more of a speed run now for the Claire campaign.
mccjames
AG
Wizardy, Ultima, and leisure suit Larry!
Easy come, Easy go
AtlAg05
AG
Baldur's Gate 3 is looking to be doing well, last I checked it was around 9K reviews and 83% favorable.

Not sure if I want to pick it up until more content drops.
Tabasco
AG
mccjames said:

Wizardy, Ultima, and leisure suit Larry!
Damn I loved Wizardry. Proving grounds on Apple IIe. Unforgiving. If your level 50 character got poisoned and you could not revive, QUICK, killswitch the computer!
jr15aggie
AG
I'm just about finished with Shadow of the Tomb Raider. I definitely see what some of y'all were saying, it's not near as good as the first two. I did very little extra exploring and the game will be uninstalled once I beat it. My complaints:

1. The story is a mess and hard to follow. Could care less about any of the secondary characters. There are also too many "WTF" moments where friendly characters casually appear after a major event... what, did they take the hidden goat path, where the hell did they come from!?! Or immediately after a cut scene with her pal, Lara is parkouring away from a mud-slide. So I guess the big guy had the high ground and just sat back and watched? It's dumb and very lazy writing IMO.

2. Progression and unlocks. Terrible pacing here with weapon unlocks and the upgrade trees for those weapons. Some don't even have upgrades. This also took away from the Metroid style of back-tracking to unlock new areas thanks to new equipment. The personal skill tree of Lara was also very uninspiring and served no real connection to the game progress.

3. Game world... like the story, it's a mess. Too many hub worlds with each having a bunch of NPCs, markets, and trinkets to get. What happened to the more large and secluded areas that Lara simply explored? The game at its heart is about exploration and surviving the natural dangers...why the hell do we spend most of the time in populated villages and being forced to wear strange clothes? Not to mention with all the NPCs the framerate takes a very noticeable hit, even on the One X in framerate mode.

So yeah... TLDR... the game really is a mess compared to the brilliant 1st and 2nd chapters. They F***'d up!
YouBet
AG
Was having a great time with Pathfinder: Kingmaker but had to set it aside. It has baked in timers which I generally hate. It had not been much of a problem until all of a sudden it was and I had no way to get around it unless you almost start over and replay much of the game. The problem is that if you don't make certain choices in a timely enough manner early on it paints you in a corner later.

So, had to quit and now I'm playing Fallout: New Vegas which I somehow missed when it came out. Fully modded and just really starting it.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I haven't read this whole thread but I strongly recommend the new DOOM games. DOOM eternal is one Xbox Gamepass and I'm playing through it now. Its fun!
The Fife
PS2, I'm about halfway through .hack Quarantine now. It's a little repetitive but still fun.

Dreamcast, I just started Sonic. So. Much. Motion sickness!

PC, halfway through Fallout 1. Controls are still clunky, hoping they improve in Fallout 2.
jr15aggie
AG
The Fife said:

PS2, I'm about halfway through .hack Quarantine now. It's a little repetitive but still fun.

PC, halfway through Fallout 1. Controls are still clunky, hoping they improve in Fallout 2.
This guy right here is hella committed to finishing all the games in his backlog before upgrading to a "new" console. Stay strong brother!!
Tabasco
AG
jr15aggie said:

The Fife said:

This guy right here is hella committed to finishing all the games in his backlog before upgrading to a "new" console. Stay strong brother!!
The ultimate backlogger. I still need to play all the modes on pong, don't feel like I have fully completed Battlezone, and I've only scratched the surface of double dragon. For PS2 I have this cool snowboarding game called SSX, and a game called grand theft auto. Seems like it might be worth the time.
The Fife
jr15aggie said:

The Fife said:

Haha, I there's also a PS4 and Xbox One in the media closet. Not my fault that the analog sticks Microsoft used blow ass or I'd be on it more. The left one on the Switch drifts too so that's also on my to-repair list.

The lion's share of the backlog were inherited from my brother. From the way the achievements look he'd only play halfway through a game before moving on to something else. Like Halo 3 he only finished mission 4 for some reason, but he liked the series enough to have bought the special edition with the big helmet and everything.

I'll at least beat the game but the only stuff I've done 100% on were Bully, Katamari, and both South Park.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.