At Last, Death Stranding has an official release date!

7,852 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jokershady
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think it does.

I also believe later on in the game you get a device to help you map around where timefall actually is
nomad2007
AG
Spoiler for after anyone not past episode 5, but I found something interesting...

If you sever a BTs cord with the cuffs and send them back, they give you a like. It's says "one like received from BT". Weird. Wonder how that connects to their lore?
jokershady
AG
I'll have to wait to read that I'm still on episode 3. Keep getting distracted
jokershady
AG
Just got to episode 5.

Jeez this game is weird (in a great way)
Ag_of_08
AG
I like what jingles had to say about it....If it didnt take so many hours to get out of being a walking simulator that was frustrating as hell, it would be a decent game.

The japanese are notorious for overtly tedious games anyway. At least Gran Turismo COULD be fun in the early game.....
Drake aTm
AG
Holy crap.

So glad I ignored the negative reviews. I'm a little ways into episode 3 and I'm absolutely hooked!

I'm getting caught up grinding out mule camps for materials to build roads. Should I keep going with the story or fix the highway first?
Chase McGuire
Just do whatever seems fun. Having a functional highway will help you and other players in the future. Progressing the story will unlock even more things to construct.
jokershady
AG
I'm on episode 6 and damn I wish some folks would help out with more roads....would make things so much easier course a few others items have been unlocked so we'll see.

I've got what appears will be my hardest delivery yet to make during episode 6.

Got a 60 minute time limit to double back and deliver medicine WITHOUT my BB. Not looking forward to this....
Drake aTm
AG
How do strand contracts work? I'm assuming it shows you more structures from people you have contracts with

Building roads is so satisfying especially when you get the notifications of people using them
Chase McGuire
I'm on chapter 8, and the terrain just keeps getting more challenging as you go. I sense I'm nearing the end of the story, though I'm sure Kojima has an hour-long cutscene or two near the end. Still really enjoying the game. It's nice to play something so quirky and different.
nomad2007
AG
Drake aTm said:

How do strand contracts work? I'm assuming it shows you more structures from people you have contracts with

Building roads is so satisfying especially when you get the notifications of people using them
Yes. They essentially allow you to see more of the structures built by the players you have contracts with. I'm convinced that road building is bugged or they're lying about how it works. I've finished 12 different auto-pavers, but I left one near Mountain Knot City that had 0 materials added to it.

After completing the entire game and spending end-game time establishing 5 star connections with every location, that auto-paver has still had ZERO materials added to it.
Drake aTm
AG
Built 4 roads and felt like I was the only one contributing.

Now I'm building zip lines through the mountains and connecting back down to the valley cities. I'm worried about the bandwidth limit. Is it as bad as people say?

Zip lines are much more convenient/satisfying and basically require nothing compared to roads
nomad2007
AG
Drake aTm said:

Now I'm building zip lines through the mountains and connecting back down to the valley cities. I'm worried about the bandwidth limit. Is it as bad as people say?

Zip lines are much more convenient/satisfying and basically require nothing compared to roads

I connected all the Lake Knot City valley locations to the mountain ones via zip line and never even came close to the bandwidth limit. I didn't build much of anything else either though. You get extra bandwidth as you increase the connection level of each region though.
Chase McGuire
I think I'm getting pretty close to the end. The story is beautiful nonsense with some great acting. The writing can be pretty terrible at times, but the cast is strong.

The gameplay is fine, but the novelty is starting to wear off. Kojima could probably have shaved 5 hours off of this one and had a better game overall.

Still, I'm probably 30+ hours in and I'm really enjoying it. It's not a masterpiece, but it is a unique gameplay experience with an incredible world and all the Kojima strangeness you could ask for. I'll have more thoughts when I finish it.
jokershady
AG
Haven't been able to play much still on episode 6
Chase McGuire
The story actually got a lot more comprehensible as the game wrapped up. I'd say 60% of the story is in the final few hours, and it was worth pushing through. There are some looooooooooong cutscenes in there.

Overall, it's a great game for the first 20 hours or so and then fades to just being a good one from there to the end. Totally understand why some people hated it, but I enjoyed my time with it.
jokershady
AG
Chase McGuire said:

The story actually got a lot more comprehensible as the game wrapped up. I'd say 60% of the story is in the final few hours, and it was worth pushing through. There are some looooooooooong cutscenes in there.

Overall, it's a great game for the first 20 hours or so and then fades to just being a good one from there to the end. Totally understand why some people hated it, but I enjoyed my time with it.
ever play Metal Gear Solid 4?
Chase McGuire
I have. I figured it was coming at some point in this game haha.
nomad2007
AG
Drake aTm said:

I stand corrected. The bandwidth wasn't an issue in the second region, but when i went back to connect all the first region sections, I could only get from Port Knot to the Waystation before I ran out of bandwidth and had to raise the connection level of them before I could connect the windfarm and capital knot city
Drake aTm
AG
The bandwidth is an issue in the mountains.

Mostly because players build safe houses, chargers etc. (which are super helpful). Also need to increase the stars/reputation with preppers. Zip lines are a MUST in the mountains
nomad2007
AG
Drake aTm said:

The bandwidth is an issue in the mountains.

Mostly because players build safe houses, chargers etc. (which are super helpful). Also need to increase the stars/reputation with preppers. Zip lines are a MUST in the mountains

Do other players structures affect bandwidth? I went to disassemble a worthless online zip-line and the pop-up said that destroying it doesn't restore bandwidth.
jokershady
AG
Other people's structures don't affect your bandwidth. So getting rid of them doesn't really help much at all.

I just started episode 7. For those who have beaten the game how far would you say I am through the game?

No spoilers please
Chase McGuire
You have one more long-ish episode with 6 or so deliveries. Then quite a few very short episodes that constitute the endgame. Keep in mind that those episodes have a few hours of cutscenes, however. I'd say you're 10ish hours from finishing if you stick strictly to the main objective.
jokershady
AG
Chase McGuire said:

You have one more long-ish episode with 6 or so deliveries. Then quite a few very short episodes that constitute the endgame. Keep in mind that those episodes have a few hours of cutscenes, however. I'd say you're 10ish hours from finishing if you stick strictly to the main objective.
Since this is sort of an open world game can you keep playing once you beat the main game?
Chase McGuire
Yes. You won't miss anything (trophies, quests, etc.) by completing the story.
nomad2007
AG
I was climbing the mountain between two facilities to connect them via ziplines, and ran out of PCCs to build.

I thought, "Guess I'll go to the facility to craft them and come back..." when someones lost PCC came tumbling down the mountain right in front of me. He must have just lost it while falling down the mountain in the same spot.
Drake aTm
AG
Some of Those last few episodes really turned me off from the game
rangerdanger
AG
$35 today. Decided to take the plunge into Kojima's ego.
jokershady
AG
Credits rolling (the real credits)

All I can say is...wow! Hideo is one imaginative crazy dude but I did not see that twist at the end coming!

Glad I played this one
Chase McGuire
It all came together much more cohesively than I ever expected.
jokershady
AG
And for a Hideo Kojima game that's really saying something!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.