Best WiFi router?

1,423 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by fooz
Drawkcab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a D Link router that's finally crapped out on me. It's had a good run. I've had it over 10 years but now nothing can connect to it.

I'm thinking about Google WiFi. I'm reading some reviews about how it doesn't play nice with some smart devices, but it's all just technobabble to me. All I have is a Roku Express, a Chromecast, an Echo and of course our phones and laptops.

Anything else I should be looking at for around the same price range? I have about 1,500 square feet I need to cover.
Wildmen03
AG
Take a look at the Mesh WiFi thread. That seems to be the most popular direction WiFi solutions for the home are going.

If you are looking at a standalone unit, I'd take a look at a Netgear Nighthawk. I had one for a few years before switching to mesh and it is a great device.
Ragoo
AG
Where is everything me buying internet these days? Will be moving in a couple of months. NW Houston

Trying to get away from bundled cable.
saw em off
I bought a Synology RT2600ac about 6 months ago and love it. It is pricy, but range, speed, security, are top notch.
MisterShipWreck
I found that in the past - I'd have to buy a new router about every 3 years. Always start having connection issues, and dropping. When that starts happening out of the blue, it's time for a new router. Whenever I get a new one - issue goes away.... Comes back again 2.5-3 years later.

Those mesh routers are expensive if ya gotta put up with that with them too...
Cassius
I have a lower end Netgear Nighthawk, paid about $100 for it. No issues. I had a Linksys 54g before that.
Drawkcab
Thanks everyone! I went with the Google WiFi. That and the Orbi seem to be the top 2 recommend mesh devices. I like that Orbi comes with Disney Circle. If I didn't have to pay a monthly fee to access all of Circle's features that would have easily been my top choice.

I'm happy with the Google WiFi.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I got the Orbi RBK23 with 3 full size units. LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
fooz
https://www.amplifi.com/explore.html

Awesome coverage and speed. Haven't had any issues since I bought it ~4 months ago.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.