Learning AutoCAD

1,233 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by aggiez03
aggie4231
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanting to expand my knowledge and add a skill in preparation for potentially leaving the oilfield.

Anybody have and recommendations for resources to start learning the basics of AutoCAD? Any resources to obtain trial or an not too old version of the software?
TAMUG'04 Marine Fisheries.
Aero95
AG
Why specifically autocad?
aggie4231
AG
That's the only one I've heard of
Tormentos
AG
Learn Solidworks instead. You will get 3d plus the concept of 2d drawing.
jay040
You should look into DraftSight if you're just trying to learn - it's free. nevermind - looks like they're doing away with the free version on Dec 31, 2019...

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/download-draftsight/
Aggietaco
AG
Software depends on the field you're looking to head into, bit I have no suggestions on forums to learn any of them.
Wildmen03
AG
I use AutoCAD for work, literally anything I haven't known how to do I looked up on youtube.
aggieforester05
AG
I learned Autocad and Solidworks by playing around with them and googling how to do the things I couldn't figure out. That was before the days of YouTube tutorials though.

Also they are very different programs. Don't assume that because your know how to use one, you'll be able to jump in and learn another. I remember thinking at the time that it would have been easier to learn solidworks if I didn't already know Autocad.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Depends on what you want to do. AutoCAD can be used for a lot of things, but a lot of industries are moving more towards 3D modeling. Look into solidworks, revit, navisworks, and/or inventor.
OCEN99
AG
You can get Fusion 360 for free as a hobbyist.
Aero95
AG
It is industry dependent, but if you're just wanting to learn something new I'd say Solid Works would be far better as a time investment.

A cheap way to get SW is to join the Experimental Aircraft Association ($40 or $50/yr) and that will get you a free download of a full version of SW.
NPLAggie07
NPLAggie07
Herne the Hunter
What are you looking at doing? If you want to get into facility design for chemical or other type facilities look into Aveva PDMS.
ABATTBQ11
AG
As mentioned, it's industry specific. If you're leaving oil and looking to go into something like construction, AutoCAD is a pretty solid bet. We heavily use it. Navisworks would be another one, along with BIM Glue. Those two are review software, so there's not nearly as much learning the software as there is knowing how to effectively apply them. Contractors don't typically use solid works or any engineering or design software outside of reviewing what someone else has already made before we go out and build it.

If you want to learn AutoCAD, I used to teach a basic class for our superintendents. I can send you the curriculum outline to give you a guide for what to lookup on YouTube. I could also answer any questions you might have.
aggie4231
AG
I'm looking at trying to transition to GIS or surveying.

The only time I've touched anything CAD related was about 30 years in middle school shop class.

Not sure why it put that emoji
Vernada
AG
I would think learning Revit would give you more marketable skills.
AG
In my experience knowing AutoCAD is a supplement to knowing some other software. 20 years ago it would make sense to really learn it, but now just the basic commands are adequate and use some sort of 3D modeling software or revit to do all the heavy lifting.

Solidworks is good to know, but focus on the workflow more than the program specific details. Ive seen many draftsman and engineers with solidworks experience completely suck at using inventor, catia, etc.

Rhino or maya would be a good package to learn as well. NURBS modeling separates the beginners from the pros

hatchback
AG
Vernada said:

I would think learning Revit would give you more marketable skills.

If going into a field (pun intended) more closely related to building design and construction (architecture or building engineering systems) Revit would be a go to software.

But for surveying or GIS, Revit isn't best. I'd look to Autodesk Civil 3D or a similar software. The topography tools built into Revit are quite lacking.
aggie4231
AG
Any sources for software to get for learning on.
aggiez03
AG
Another good free one for learning is DesignSpark Mechanical.

It is a free 3d program from Allied Electronics / RS Components.

That program along with Traceparts free account (to download already created parts) makes building assemblies really quick.

it also can be used with 3d printer to create parts.

They also have a Paid plugin for part export into SW, inventor, etc.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.