DirecTV Now total garbage via Amazon Fire TV

1,467 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CoolaidWade
bagger05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Using DirecTV Now through WiFi and my Amazon FireTV and it is unwatchable. Super choppy. Sound is fine but picture can't keep up. No problems with any other streaming services. Netflix and Hulu are fine. Just live TV.

My speed is 45.6 down, 12.6 up.

Any tips to make this not suck? Speed seems good enough.
The Collective
AG
Get rid of DTV Now. That was my solution. No problems with YouTube TV.
Charpie
AG
CJS4715 said:

So much this. Once I dumped DTV Now, we went with you tube tv. DVR works and no other issues
agracer
AG
uninstall and re-install the DTV Now App.
Wildmen03
AG
Is it the FireTV stick vs the full size unit?

I have apps that run great on my FireTV, but don't run great on the stick.
WoMD
Wildmen03 said:

DTV Now works just fine on my older fire stick, so I don't know if that's really to blame.

I second the uninstall and reinstall idea.
Furlock Bones
AG
firestick is really weird. i tried HBONow on the firestick and it was virtually unwatchable. HBOGo however rarely seems to have many problems.
txag2k
AG
WoMD said:

Wildmen03 said:

DTV Now works just fine on my older fire stick, so I don't know if that's really to blame.

I second the uninstall and reinstall idea.
Works fine on my old stick. I agree with the reinstall. FWIW I'm beta testing a new AT&T DTVNow set top device. I'll report on how it goes.
Flashdiaz
AG
why a set top device for DTVnow... seems like a step backwards given all the usb sticks.
nwspmp
Flashdiaz said:

why a set top device for DTVnow... seems like a step backwards given all the usb sticks.
I have that one in testing too.

It's a bridge device for the people out there who aren't into the conventional streaming devices or who have stayed with satellite/cable so long, they just prefer how that works. I'll probably end up giving it to my Dad so they can try with a system similar to what they have now.

It's a lot more like the conventional system in use. Adds channel numbers and such.

I absolutely hated the remote they sent initially, but just got a new generation remote for it, so I might hook it back up and try again.
txag2k
AG
Flashdiaz said:

dunno, i got an email asking if i wanted to participate so i did .

This is the device:
The Collective
AG
BTW, if your hang up on getting rid of DTV Now is that you get a $5 discount by bundling with AT&T, I'm not sure what to tell you. You are getting a discount on a product that sucks. It's not worth it if you are having problems, because their customer support is zero help. They just "put in a ticket".
txag2k
AG
I don't have AT&T. I have suddenlink internet and DTVNow. I'm grandfathered in on a lower DTVN rate than offered now and I'm not having problems with it on any of my devices. The box I'm testing now is a bit smoother than the firestick and comparable to AppleTV (gen 3 at least) but still needs a lot of other app support to make it a viable option IMO. Firmware updates are all it would need to add new apps and the remote control is the best I've used so far for any of my current devices.
TxAggieBand85
AG
I use DTVNow with Firestick. It was bad for awhile until

1) Reloaded DTV Now app.
2) REplaced WiFi service at home. Now use a Velop system.

Check the Mesh WiFi thread.
Mesh WiFi Thread
JSKolache
AG
nwspmp said:

Flashdiaz said:

I have that one in testing too.

It's a bridge device for the people out there who aren't into the conventional streaming devices or who have stayed with satellite/cable so long, they just prefer how that works. I'll probably end up giving it to my Dad so they can try with a system similar to what they have now.

It's a lot more like the conventional system in use. Adds channel numbers and such.

I absolutely hated the remote they sent initially, but just got a new generation remote for it, so I might hook it back up and try again.
I used it for a week and then shelved. I hated that it ran continuously even when i switch to antenna. Seemed like a data hog. If you power it off it kills your tv too. Went back to Stick.
CoolaidWade
AG
CJS4715 said:

Would love too but so Youtube TV is not available for the Firestick.

But we use Hulu with Live TV and it works flawlessly with both Firestick and Roku (our house is 50/50)

Never had a problem last football season.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.