Sound bar 5.1 vs old fashioned amp, surround speakers?

855 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Scruffy
saw em off
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got an antiquated setup for my surround. Sony amp with old Bose speakers. My amp is on the fritz so I was thinking of going the sound bar route and wanted to get your opinion on them. I see they make wireless 5.1 soundbar systems. What's the skinny? TIA.
Furlock Bones
AG
where will it located? dedicated theater room? living room?
saw em off
Furlock Bones said:

where will it located? dedicated theater room? living room?
Living rm.
FTACO97
AG
It really comes down to how many devices you use for the TV. BluRay player, game console, cable box, etc. etc. A sound bar is usually only going to take a couple of inputs. A receiver will give you 5-7 inputs.
CoppellAg93
AG
^
l
l
l
Good point as well.

I just had to replace my a/v receiver due to a power surge. We had our soundbar hooked up temporarily until I could go pick up a new receiver. The difference in sound is not even close - the soundbar can't come close to matching the power of the full system (obviously). The difference was so noticeable and disappointing to me that I went the next morning to get the new receiver. Guess it depends on what you''re playing on the tv (movies, games, etc.)
Koko Chingo
AG
CoppellAg93 makes a good point. A wired surround sound system with an amp sounds way better than a soundbar. Even more so if you take the time to run through the setup (including speaker placement) and tune it.

If your current system is hardwired I would keep it that way. The hard work of running wires through walls, etc, is done. Just buy new components (receiver, speakers) and replace. If a speaker is a different size they sell plates to cover the hole or get a handyman to patch drywall if you need to.

Soundbars, especially with a subwoofer are a great upgrade over stock TV speakers. They are an excellent choice where you either cannot or do not want to run wires through wall, ceilings, floors, etc.

Wildmen03
AG
I've owned a couple of different soundbars, and while I like how clean they look (and were safer than tower speakers with a toddler around) I prefer the sound of a good set of tower speakers matched with a good quality receiver. Especially when it comes to voices, for some reason my ears can pick up voices and dialog way better on full size speakers vs a soundbar.
BEaggie08
AG
FTACO97 said:

It really comes down to how many devices you use for the TV. BluRay player, game console, cable box, etc. etc. A sound bar is usually only going to take a couple of inputs. A receiver will give you 5-7 inputs.
You can use the ARC on the TV if you want to hook your devices up to the TV then have all of the sound come out of the soundbar. You'd just be limited by the number of available HDMI inputs on the TV (mine has 5), rather than the sound bar.

Of course, a full 5.1 or greater setup sounds better, but depending on the size and layout of the room and the amount of work you're willing to do set it up well a soundbar may make more sense for you.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I went from a lower end 5.1 system last year to a higher end sound bar, and the sound bar blows away my old system. I replaced a cheaper 12 year old 5.1 with a $1k Samsung sound bar though. If you're willing to spend the money, a good sound bar can have awesome sound.

I recommend something with Dolby Atmos, it adds a whole new dimension to the sound.
Scruffy
AG
I'm tempted to make my own speakers using ceiling tiles and foam sheathing:
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.