HDMI cables and 4k

2,030 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ExPLK
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recently upgraded the projector in my theater room. It's not a fully 4K model, but it's one of those faux 4k units. Anyway, the previous projector had no issue playing HD content over a 60 foot run of good quality standard HDMI cable.

Why is it so long, you ask? Well, the geniuses that built the house and wired the speakers put the speaker wires out in the front of the room, under where you'd mount the screen as opposed to in a closet or in the back of the room. They did run an ethernet cable, to where the projector should be mounted. For a while, I was using a HDMI/ethernet kit with poor results. Ended up just buying a solid HDMI cable and running the damn thing along the wall and up to the projector. House was also built in about 2006, and instead of smurf tubing everything, I think the actually ran the wired through the boards and stapled them. I suspect this because previous fishing attempts were wildly unsuccessful.

Moving on.

So now, with the new projector, I'm getting periodic errors when "4k" or HDR is being used. I'm guessing this is a bandwidth problem and it's just sending too much info too great a distance for the standard (if quality) HDMI cable I had previously been using. It looks fantastic when it's working, but the random "searching for 4k source" error is frustrating me.

Enter fiber optic HDMI. Before I shell out $150 for one of these things, I wanted to ask if anyone here had any experience with these, or if I should be looking in a different direction.
V8Aggie
AG
I'm ignorant here but could you run it over Ethernet?
agdoc2001
AG
Fiber optic cable is the answer - I have a 50' run to my TV and one to the projector. I have one that is the Monoprice brand and one that is Furui from Amazon - no problems with either.

Cleaner and more "future proof" from a bandwidth standpoint than Active HDMI cables or Cat 6 solutions. Suck up the cost this once and be done with it.

Quick caveat: Many brands aren't ARC compatible if that matters to you
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
V8Aggie
AG
So is it fiber optic with HDMI ends?
Tomdoss92
AG
you can get a couple of 35 ft Monster HDMI cables for a smooth $250 each. splice those two puppies together and see if that works, because only Monster cables can show true 4K HD.
Mattressburn
AG
You need an active HDMI cable.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757

Pay attention this cable is not bi-directional. It has a source and monitor side.

I really wouldn't do anything over 75 feet over ethernet unless your source didn't play nice with an active cable.
ntxVol
From my research (no hands on experience), 4K is going to require compression when extended using ethernet. So you're going to see artifacts and you're results could vary wildly between differing brands of extenders.
UmustBKidding
There are HDBaseT boxes from multiple places that support uhd 4k. These bridge hdmi 2k and 4k video audio uncompressed, USB2, 100m Ethernet 100w of poe, plus remote support ir and rs232 over a cat6.
Gefen is the gold standard, but even monoprice sells the. This is not the hd over cat using baluns which many call HDMI or Ethernet even though there is no Ethernet signaling involved just the physical media.
spanky
AG
So did you decide to go fiber or find an active copper cable to work?

Right now, I'm using a 35 ft active DynamicView from monoprice: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14131

Seems to work ok for all the 4k I've thrown at it so far...4k discs, roku ultra, AppleTV app on samsung TV and ARC and CEC seem to work fine. Only issue is the occasional white sparkle during some heavy black intro videos like the Stranger Things intro.

Debating on going fiber instead before dropping this thing down the wall. I only paid $12 on Amazon Marketplace so I won't feel too bad about the switch.
AtlAg05
AG
Tomdoss92 said:

you can get a couple of 35 ft Monster HDMI cables for a smooth $250 each. splice those two puppies together and see if that works, because only Monster cables can show true 4K HD.

But do they have gold tips?
The Fife
Mattressburn said:

You need an active HDMI cable.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757

Pay attention this cable is not bi-directional. It has a source and monitor side.

I really wouldn't do anything over 75 feet over ethernet unless your source didn't play nice with an active cable.
This. The ones from Amazon's house brand are also not bi-directional but work great at 35'. No ARC problems either but that may be more related to the actual devices anyway.
spanky
AG
I looked at the AmazonBasics, but the specs for the 35 ft cables were only 10.2 Gbps. Do they have another house brand that can do 4K 60 Hz, 4:4:4 over 25 ft?

Quote:

Displays 4K video at 24 Hz, 1080p at 60 Hz, with 48-bit deep color and supports bandwidth of 10.2 Gbps

agdoc2001
AG
V8Aggie said:

So is it fiber optic with HDMI ends?

Yes
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
spanky
AG
So a quick update on my long run 4k HDMI cable experience.

The Monoprice DynamicView 35 ft active 4k copper cable I was using failed after 5 months. Started getting picky on 4k stuff and then started flashing pretty regularly on HD stuff. Eventually video dropped completely, but the sound kept working over ARC.

Ended up replacing it with a Ruipro active 40 ft fiber optic cable, and all has been well for 2 months: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759CXK4H
ExPLK
AG
I bought the same one for my mediaroom and it works great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.